• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight train hits road vehicle between Derby Road and Trimley stations (14/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaax

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/f...een-derby-road-and-trimley-stations-1-5435030

Emergency services have been called to the scene of a crash between a freight train and a road vehicle on the Felixstowe Road level crossing at Levington tonight.

Greater Anglia confirmed the incident took place at around 8.40pm and the line was blocked between Ipswich and Felixstowe. A spokeswoman said services on the Felixstowe line would be suspended for the rest of the evening and the situation will be reviewed tomorrow morning.

No details of injuries or casualties were confirmed at the time of going to press, but Greater Anglia said on Twitter “emergency services are on site working as quickly as possible to restore the train service to normal.”

A Suffolk police spokesman confirmed officers were at the crash scene...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Happened at about 2030 (Weds), GA services obvioulsy all cancelled, as are the first ones on Thursday. All freights to / from Felixstowe currently held at various locations.

Domh245

Established Member
All freights to / from Felixstowe currently held at various locations.

I can imagine that these held freight trains are stretching back a fair way - hopefully it isn't the case that they get in the way of passenger services tomorrow morning.

LAX54

Established Member
I can imagine that these held freight trains are stretching back a fair way - hopefully it isn't the case that they get in the way of passenger services tomorrow morning.

First passenger round is cancelled, with one unit trapped at the 'Town', did hear that the freight will be 'held' and re-start at 2030, (24 hrs) which makes sense, but whether they will or not !

dk1

Veteran Member
First passenger round is cancelled, with one unit trapped at the 'Town', did hear that the freight will be 'held' and re-start at 2030, (24 hrs) which makes sense, but whether they will or not !

Why so long mate? Is it still a crime scene?

dk1

Veteran Member
Since seen that the liner involved went forward at 15mph approx 03:50. Pilotworking introduced to clear trains in the area but obviously no passenger services today with such a backlog. Trains where recessed at Rugby, Bletchley etc & others where stopped departing locations such as Birch Coppice in the nick of time.

eastdyke

Established Member
Updated story in Ipswich Star with more pictures:
http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/s...ions-levington-level-crossing-crash-1-5435062

The vehicle can be seen in one picture, may I hope have not been too badly damaged. No info on occupants.
Appears to be some equipment cabinet damage.

The location is the Shepherd and Dog UWC at Nacton/Purdis Farm (not Levington).
From Google Streetview:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...4!1sPt9Ox4mZ69dv4G60uVI7Cw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I cannot find the crossing in the publicly available level crossings database in which it seems to have been replaced by a newer footpath crossing. The uwc vehicle crossing is, however, still very much there!

dk1

Veteran Member
A subsequent report refers to "damage to lineside equipment".

The miniature R/G at Routes LC is is badly damaged & some cabling. Seems a bit severe to cancel all freight till this evening. Looks like pilotworking introduced to allow at least some movement during degraded working. Obviously no passenger service.

eastdyke

Established Member

zaax

When I used this crossing many years ago it was just two gates, which is seems it still is, but is it now a MWL? also I have seen the gates left open a number of times over the years.
Its a known short cut between the A14 Orwell Crossing Lorry Park and the Shepard and Dog, now a Miller & Carter.

GB

Established Member
Its a POGO (Power Operated Gate Opening) type crossing which includes miniature warning lights as standard.

AndyPJG

This is going to sound cruel and uncaring.
But what is it about the Anglia region and level crossing incidents, is there something in the water affecting the locals common sense?

Might be because it's flat, and a lot of level crossings.

GB

Established Member
How many crossing incidents have there been in the Anglia region vs other regions?

Tio Terry

thanks.

This is going to sound cruel and uncaring.
But what is it about the Anglia region and level crossing incidents, is there something in the water affecting the locals common sense?

Just to give you an idea. East Suffolk Line, 49 miles, 44 level crossings. Being a basically flat county it has a disproportionate number of level crossings, I worked there in the 1960's and 1970's installing lots of AHB's and MWL crossings.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
One of the many things that video fails to mention is that while pumping the barriers it's quite possible for the light to go back to red and the user wouldn't be aware of this unless they specifically checked again before driving across. This was a main cause of the Knaresborough crossing collision referred to above.

https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/collision-between-train-and-tractor
It is likely the tractor driver did not recheck the warning lights after first stopping on the approach to the crossing to press a button to open the gates. This button had not originally been intended to open the gates (it should only have been capable of being used to close them). It was situated at such a distance from the crossing that the time it took for the tractor driver to stop, open the gates and then drive onto the crossing, was greater than the time between the warning light turning red and the arrival of the train. There was no sign at the button to warn the driver to recheck the warning light before going over the crossing. The investigation also found that the warning light was not conspicuous among the many signs present at the crossing.
I recall thinking at the time that design was an accident waiting to happen.

GB

Established Member
I take it is the same type of crossing as in this video?

Same principle. Difference being metal outward swinging gates as apposed to raising barriers and opened and closed by pressing a button rather than pumping.

LAX54

Established Member
Felixstowe line re-opened at 0040 Monday 19th Feb, in full working order (except for Routs: closed UFN), grand job done by all staff, 3 brand new location cabinets made from scratch and fully wired all in 4 days !

HowardGWR

Established Member
Just to give you an idea. East Suffolk Line, 49 miles, 44 level crossings. Being a basically flat county it has a disproportionate number of level crossings, I worked there in the 1960's and 1970's installing lots of AHB's and MWL crossings.
How much has Ufton Nervet (Berks and Hants) cost? Multiply that by 44, phew! Always assuming, too, that there would be room for the U shape or dog leg approach roads.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Felixstowe line re-opened at 0040 Monday 19th Feb, in full working order (except for Routs: closed UFN), grand job done by all staff, 3 brand new location cabinets made from scratch and fully wired all in 4 days !

That's pretty quick going, a very efficiently done job.

Status
Not open for further replies.