• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight trains terminating at Chippenham this week/

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK123GWR

I have found a curious set of trains on Real Train Times. Today, a train marked as freight is set to terminate at Chippenham Platform 2, from Bristol Kingsland Road. On each of the next three days, a train from Swindon Transfer is set to do the same. Although I cannot find any trains originating from Chippenham in the following week, it appears that trains are using platform 2 as usual. Does anybody know what these trains are for, or where they are magically vanishing to? The links to Real Train Times are here:
The nearest sidings to Chippenham are Thingley Junction, but I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that trains using these would show as terminating at Thingley Junction, as a pair of civil engineers workings next Tuesday would appear to suggest (an example is attached below).
I would be very grateful for any information on this curious situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
I would expect that the trains enter an engineers' possession (so 'disappear' from the system) at Chippenham. In the morning they emerge somewhere else (likely but not necessarily the other end of the possession).

Freightmaster

Established Member
I have found a curious set of trains on Real Train Times. Today, a train marked as freight is set to terminate at Chippenham Platform 2, from Bristol Kingsland Road. On each of the next three days, a train from Swindon Transfer is set to do the same.
Those moves are a tamper (Colas Rail DR75011 in this case, running as 6Q59) running to an engineers possession on Dauntsey bank:

As per pdeaves' post above, the return trains start from the 'other side' of the possession:

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.