• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight wagon ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Some info, please.

What's the name or class of the freight wagons in my image? And do they carry a variety of freight?

I see them quite often on the WCML passing through Milton Keynes. Nobody seems to love them! - they always look dirty, and uncared for, not like the "Less CO2" wagons which look smart, and I guess are much newer.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member

Established Member
Ah, the Wembley to Daventry water train, runs three or four times a week on average, loaded going towards Daventry with bottled water from France and sometimes has the odd two or three wagons loaded with various timber products going the other way.

eMeS

Thanks to both for your information.

I now know why they remind me of what I've seen in Germany, but as to carrying water, I'd never have guessed.

ChristopherJ

The wagons were built by DÜWAG in Germany in the 1980s for Cargowaggon, now owned by G.E Rail Services.

They are in fact two semi-coupled wagons built as a single entity - each half has a 45t payload capacity or 90t whole. They are classified by their owner as type GE117CT (CT = Channel Tunnel) and in the UK as IZA (as mentioned).

A diagram is here:
www.ge.com/capital/railcar/europe/uk/pdf/GE117CTHfirrs3.pdf

They are a standard covered wagon/van/boxcar (call them what you will) and carry any general products. As well as water (for your information, it is Evian bottled mineral water), I also know they carry paper reels from the Port of Tilbury in Essex.

A interesting fact about these wagons: they were white when built! The black coating is dust and dirt accumulated over the years.

van_02.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
I now know why they remind me of what I've seen in Germany, but as to carrying water, I'd never have guessed.
There used to be a flow of timber products from the Buchloe area in Bavaria (Germany) to the UK. Being a fan of the 218 diesels I used to pass through there relatively often and there always used to be a set of UK-gauge wagons there, stood out like a sore thumb :lol: There was also a small flow of paper from Gratwein-Gratkorn near Graz in Austria using such wagons.

xplo42, I wouldn't say the wagons were white they were are unpainted aluminium which collects brake block dust and other crud pretty quickly; here is a picture of a similar wagon when still quite clean

p1023056454-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.