• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight yard at South Marston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil G

Was the yard at South Marston just east of Swindon ever used? I saw it being built years ago but now it seems derelict and Honda logistics seem to have put lorries over the track if you look at Google maps satellite view.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donny_m

On Moderation
There’s a ‘freight Flows’ thread in the diagrams And allocations section that seems to be a better place this question

Phil G

Well I asked the question in the context of the other discussions about plans for freight depots on this thread. If I remember correctly it was built with EU money to be a railhead into Europe but it looks like this never got off the ground and the money was wasted. But I was after confirmation and asking this question in the thread about diagrams doesn't seem appropriate.

stj

There was a car terminal built in 2007 for Honda Car deliveries to Belgium via the tunnel, if this is the same siding.

GlosRail

Yes it was used in the first few years, but hasn't been used now for several years.

Phil G

That must be it. Thanks. Guess it won't be used now Honda is closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.