• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Class 70's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

433N

I'm not sure what's happening with them but if the source is abrail, I'm not entirely sure it is accurate.

On a visit to Balm Rd on 26/5, there was a line of 10
(from Balm Rd end)
70013 / 09 / 16 / 18 / 01 / 19 / 05 / 10 / 06
with
70004 and 70017 elsewhere in the depot.

70002 which is listed as stored (as it was 2 weeks ago) was out and about earning its keep on the Wednesday prior.

ScottDarg

I'm not sure what's happening with them but if the source is abrail, I'm not entirely sure it is accurate.

On a visit to Balm Rd on 26/5, there was a line of 10
(from Balm Rd end)
70013 / 09 / 16 / 18 / 01 / 19 / 05 / 10 / 06
with
70004 and 70017 elsewhere in the depot.

70002 which is listed as stored (as it was 2 weeks ago) was out and about earning its keep on the Wednesday prior.

I believe 70002 has now been stored. Pic taken on Saturday shows that it's now at Leeds: https://flic.kr/p/27ZDiqL

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Are they noted stored awaiting modifications that will only be done if there is work for them to do?

There is a couple of 70 worked trains through MK each day so they are running about. No idea what numbers mind

433N

I believe 70002 has now been stored. Pic taken on Saturday shows that it's now at Leeds: https://flic.kr/p/27ZDiqL

Oh OK ... but it was marked as stored when I saw it heading through Kings Sutton on 23/5 with the 1700 Southampton MCT - Trafford Park FLT and it wasn't at Midland Rd on 26/5.

The observant amongst you may have noticed that my line of 10 was, in fact, only 9. I wasn't expecting quite so many 70s to be there TBH.

xotGD

Established Member
And we still get posters insisting that Freightliner is short of traction...

Suraggu

Why is that. Can they not be used for work that 66's do
Only Intermodal men and a few HH men still retain traction knowledge. Hence why you do not see them on HH jobs.

The locos that have been stored for a considerable time is due to a design fault which means new bogies are required.
They are hideously expensive to operate in terms of not only routine maintenance but also leasing costs, spare parts etc.

snakeeyes

They need new bogies?
Only Intermodal men and a few HH men still retain traction knowledge. Hence why you do not see them on HH jobs.

The locos that have been stored for a considerable time is due to a design fault which means new bogies are required.
They are hideously expensive to operate in terms of not only routine maintenance but also leasing costs, spare parts etc.

The_Engineer

This surely must have been known when Freightliner took on the lease? I can understand the bogie issue sidelining them but not these issues.

Suraggu

This surely must have been known when Freightliner took on the lease? I can understand the bogie issue sidelining them but not these issues.

People keep forgetting that finance wise along with everything else they are controlled by G&W. Different parent companies than when the 70's were ordered.

Its not 2010 when coal was king anymore and the class 70 fleet was justified. The Railfreight industry is becoming more cutthroat than ever and costs are always rising.

xotGD

Established Member
They are short of traction. Class 70's are not part of G&W UK's plan.

Another to be switched off in the coming days.
So they are not short of traction - they are switching off operational locomotives that they do not wish to use.

Suraggu

So they are not short of traction - they are switching off operational locomotives that they do not wish to use.
In regards to class 66's they are short of motive power, 70s cannot be used on any of FL's operated services.

Last edited:

mjn

70015 has just come through Manchester Piccadilly on its way from Trafford to Felixstowe. Got to love the amount of clag they give off.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
In regards to class 66's they are short of motive power, 70s cannot be used on any of FL's operated services.
apart from the daily working I see both ways through MK............

People keep forgetting that finance wise along with everything else they are controlled by G&W. Different parent companies than when the 70's were ordered.

Its not 2010 when coal was king anymore and the class 70 fleet was justified. The Railfreight industry is becoming more cutthroat than ever and costs are always rising.

Agreed - the company has changed hands and the freight market has changed a great deal since they were ordered.

Suraggu

apart from the daily working I see both ways through MK............

Agreed - the company has changed hands and the freight market has changed a great deal since they were ordered.

Sorry rich that should of been all of FL's services. You won't see them on any HH job only shifting boxes or occasional route learner.

JohnMcL7

Asking as as freight engine luddite, what is the difference in capability between a Class 66 and class 70?

furnessvale

Established Member
They sent another 66 off to Poland a few weeks ago which suggests that they are not short of locos.
Unless a 66 can earn more money in Poland than the UK, in which case they could sacrifice work in the UK to earn more elsewhere, though I hope that is not the case.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It seems like every UK locomotive with the American inspired cab and hood design has a shorter than anticipated service life and fails miserably from mechanical issues.

Suraggu

They sent another 66 off to Poland a few weeks ago which suggests that they are not short of locos.

Another one was due to go but that was canned to keep the UK from having a real deficit.

I cannot emphasise enough to everyone who says FL UK are not short of locos, they really are.
But they don't have an unlimited cheque book like GB Railfreight or additional assets like DB Cargo to get locos willy nilly.

Suraggu

Asking as as freight engine luddite, what is the difference in capability between a Class 66 and class 70?
A 70 can haul more over A longer period of time. 70s are far advanced compared to a 66 but major design flaws prohibit the loco from being a real success.

USRailFan

Also, if they really were short on locos, wouldn't it make sense to take on some of the (apparently?) stored 90s and 86s from DBS and use them wherever possible to avoid running diesels under wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.