• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Class 86/6 fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

USRailFan

I'm guessing this is the reason Freightliner have an aspiration to 'overhaul' them before re-introduction. The more they iron out the little electrical niggles of a 55 year old loco, the more and more efficient it becomes.

Do we know what the difference between 66, 86 and (current) 90s distance between failures?

There were some rumours a few years ago of Bombardier making a UK-adapted version of its Traxx Electric locomotives, wonder if that can still surface...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railways45021

Sorry if this isn't relevant to the thread but how many Class 86's does freightliner have, why do they run so few electric locos to Trafford when it is electrified

rebmcr

Established Member
why do they run so few electric locos to Trafford when it is electrified

A varied mixture of the 'other end' not being electrified, diversionary routes not being electrified, and/or not bothering (in part due to the complexity of keeping track of the first two's permutations).

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Sorry if this isn't relevant to the thread but how many Class 86's does freightliner have, why do they run so few electric locos to Trafford when it is electrified
According to TOPS; 604, 607, 608, 609, 613, 614, 622, 632, 637 638 and 639 are currently serviceable, which is 11.

Several are at Crewe Basford hall with some issues e.g. worn wheelsets - 605, 610, 612, 627, 628, which is 5.

I believe 621, 633 and 635 were the ones most recently dismantled during 2013.

4F89

A varied mixture of the 'other end' not being electrified, diversionary routes not being electrified, and/or not bothering (in part due to the complexity of keeping track of the first two's permutations).
Most likely the latter, as nearly all TP traffic flow through Basford Hall where it COULD be changed if desired/time permits

sjm77

I wondered if electrics were prioritised for those services that need to climb the Northern Fells on the way to Mossend.

Class 170101

Established Member
I wondered if electrics were prioritised for those services that need to climb the Northern Fells on the way to Mossend.

Also used if Freightliner want to overload certain Class 66 paths at 1200 tonnes apparently 2x Class 86s will work at 1600 tonnes.

USRailFan

According to TOPS; 604, 607, 608, 609, 613, 614, 622, 632, 637 638 and 639 are currently serviceable, which is 11.

Several are at Crewe Basford hall with some issues e.g. worn wheelsets - 605, 610, 612, 627, 628, which is 5.

I believe 621, 633 and 635 were the ones most recently dismantled during 2013.

Since they tend to run them in twos, that'd mean that the Class 90s would give a pretty big increase in their capacity to run electric? (AFAIK Freightliners make do with one Class 90 vs two Class 86s)

Alfie1014

There were some rumours a few years ago of Bombardier making a UK-adapted version of its Traxx Electric locomotives, wonder if that can still surface...

Correct it was part of a joint proposal between Bombardier and Porterbrook for a short term replacement rolling stock for the Liv St - Norwich route in about 2010, the DVTs would have been replaced by 17x DMU trailers to increase seating capacity. If replaced by new build (EMUs) a few years later the Traxx were to be offered to the FOCs and the 17x trailers could have been incorporated into existing 170 DMUs.

hwl

Established Member
Since they tend to run them in twos, that'd mean that the Class 90s would give a pretty big increase in their capacity to run electric? (AFAIK Freightliners make do with one Class 90 vs two Class 86s)
With the 90s (both DB and FL) receiving traction current limiter modifications, pairs of 90s are now much more useful than before so FL are using pairs of modified 90s with longer trains than the 86s can haul. (plenty of debranded ex Anglia 90s paired with green/orange ones running on the WCML to Scotland)

ExRes

Established Member
Updated availablilty on WNXX today following the storing of 614

604/607/608/609/613/622/632/637/638/639

DBS92042

Established Member
Updated availablilty on WNXX today following the storing of 614

604/607/608/609/613/622/632/637/638/639
Do you know why 86614 has been stored again? It's only been a few months since it was returned to traffic

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that 86622 has now been stored due to brake rigging problems, down to 9 serviceable now

ExRes

Established Member
Almost the end now, 86632 has around 20 hours left which is being used up on crew training trips while the rest of the fleet are withdrawn at Crewe

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Almost the end now, 86632 has around 20 hours left which is being used up on crew training trips while the rest of the fleet are withdrawn at Crewe
Sad times eh?

Let's hope they get on with the overhauls sooner rather than later.

Look forward to hopefully seeing them buzzing around in Yellow, Black and Orange one day or Fanta/Tango orange livery as I call it!

DBS92042

Established Member
I've seen reported elsewhere that 86632 has now been moved to the DHLT pool, with its last run being yesterday.

ExRes

Established Member
I've seen reported elsewhere that 86632 has now been moved to the DHLT pool, with its last run being yesterday.

Spot on, a small compressor pipe problem which they've decided not to repair, certainly can't say they haven't paid their way

On Moderation
As far as I know all will now remain in storage at Crewe until overhauls commence.
There is absolutely no guarantee about overhauls. If I was betting, I’d say that’s it for them with Freightliner and they won’t be coming back.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Thanks 221101 :)
No problem. :)

There is absolutely no guarantee about overhauls. If I was betting, I’d say that’s it for them with Freightliner and they won’t be coming back.
I know there is no guarantee, but they themselves have said they have an intention of considering an overhaul to expand electric operations. I can see them making a return as they aren't unreliable are they? Let's be honest overhauling 86s would almost definitely be cheaper than buying new.
I think it's one of those cases where time will tell. :D

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Either would be cheaper than buying (and overhauling) the remaining 90s from DB ;)
:D
I can hardly imagine an abundance of major parts being available for the 86s
They’ve managed over five decades, I’ve never heard of parts being an issue. and besides freightliner themselves intend to do overhauls, so spare parts don’t seem to be a problem.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
:D

They’ve managed over five decades, I’ve never heard of parts being an issue. and besides freightliner themselves intend to do overhauls, so spare parts don’t seem to be a problem.
But is only in the last fifteen years that Freightiner have been practically sole operator of the class. And they had call on the huge bank of parts when the remainder of the "passenger fleet" were withdrawn. IIRC several 86/2s have passed through Basford Hall on their journey to the scrapman. I agree with "43096" and don't think I would be gambling on any 86/6 overhauls. Although it would be good to see a bit of cash spent on a couple of classics, the twenty three class 90s will cover what is necessary in the short term. Even if the DfT and Network Rail announced the electrification of Felixstowe-Proof House Jn (allowing Lawley St, Hams Hall WCML and ECML destinations) and maybe Nuneaton-Oxford and Southcote Jn-Southampton, neither of those corridors would open to AC traction for 7-8 years minimum, and they would be the only real users of additional electric traction.

Domh245

Established Member

The fact they're five decades old is rather the problem. Some parts won't be manufactured anymore, requiring either rebuilds of existing parts or custom fabrication (£££)

Status
Not open for further replies.