• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Class 86/6 fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I’m pleseantly surprised no-one has thrown up the wording on Freightliner’s latest press release on the class 90s/86s.
https://www.gwrr.co.uk/news...
Some of the [Class 90] locomotives will replace the ageing class 86 fleet which will be retired from service until they can be overhauled and re-introduced as Freightliner expands its electrically hauled services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
I’m pleseantly surprised no-one has thrown up the wording on Freightliner’s latest press release on the class 90s/86s.

Very intriguing. Seems like everyone except DB is suffering from a shortage of electric traction!

sjm77

Just a random question; Electric locomotives are known to be more efficient than diesel, but both evolve with time. Therefore how would a modern class 70 compare with a 55 year old pair of class 86s when hauling a heavy container train?

furnessvale

Established Member
Just a random question; Electric locomotives are known to be more efficient than diesel, but both evolve with time. Therefore how would a modern class 70 compare with a 55 year old pair of class 86s when hauling a heavy container train?
I suppose that depends just where the efficiencies over time have come from.

In a diesel locomotive, the engine itself has become more efficient but just how much has the electrical side developed?

I would hazard a guess that even a modern diesel would have trouble matching an old electric given that the electric loco, as old as it is, can use solar, wind, nuclear or any other method of generation.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I suppose that depends just where the efficiencies over time have come from.

In a diesel locomotive, the engine itself has become more efficient but just how much has the electrical side developed?

I would hazard a guess that even a modern diesel would have trouble matching an old electric given that the electric loco, as old as it is, can use solar, wind, nuclear or any other method of generation.
I'm guessing this is the reason Freightliner have an aspiration to 'overhaul' them before re-introduction. The more they iron out the little electrical niggles of a 55 year old loco, the more and more efficient it becomes.

Do we know what the difference between 66, 86 and (current) 90s distance between failures?

The Chimaera

Makes you wonder how far they will go with the 'overhaul', surely the control equipment must be on its last legs by now. Thyrister 86 anyone?

There must also be the issue of track access charges to consider? How do they compare and is there an ‘incentive’ to use electric traction?

furnessvale

Established Member
There must also be the issue of track access charges to consider? How do they compare and is there an ‘incentive’ to use electric traction?
The original 86s certainly battered the track. At least they only need to go at 75mph now.

DBS92042

Established Member
Just getting the Class 70s sorted out would surely be easier?
You would think that considering they're only just over 10 years old but some of the 70s have been out of action for several years now.

furnessvale

Established Member
You would think that considering they're only just over 10 years old but some of the 70s have been out of action for several years now.
My preferred platform for a prototype reengineered loco into an electro diesel has been a 66, simply because of the numbers available for a later production run.

Given the numbers of 70s sitting about with problems, maybe one of those would be a better bet.

xotGD

Established Member
If Freightliner are so desperate for electric traction that they are going to overhaul their Cans, perhaps there is still hope for 90050?

hst43102

If Freightliner are so desperate for electric traction that they are going to overhaul their Cans, perhaps there is still hope for 90050?
I very much doubt it. Have you seen any pictures of it's state?

Murray J

I don't think they're that desperate, although I do wonder if DB have any 90s or even 92s stored that are in a relatively serviceable condition?

CW2

Established Member
Who owns 90050 anyway? I understood that EWS / DBS provided 90016 as a replacement after admitting their culpability in the catastrophic failure of 90050, following maintenance carried out by them on behalf of Freightliner. So do Freightliner own 90050, or was it swapped with 90016 so that it (90050) is now technically a DBS loco?

rebmcr

Established Member

I very much doubt it. Have you seen any pictures of it's state?

Bodypanels and paint are trivial to remedy, what matters are things nobody can tell from a photo — electronics, wiring, and traction motors.

On Moderation
Bodypanels and paint are trivial to remedy, what matters are things nobody can tell from a photo — electronics, wiring, and traction motors.
It's sat on scrap bogies (ex-Class 87) and has been heavily robbed for spares. That's before you even look at the fire damage that caused its demise.

hst43102

It had a fire. The windows are broken and water has probably ruined any electronics and wiring still in there...

Curious as to the ‘overhaul’... will it be ‘fix them up and get them back out there‘, using spares etc from donor locos, or if there is a genuine need/desire to increase the electric fleet, will it be more substantial - more like GBRF are doing with 56/69s? If it were to be the latter, then presumably any bodyshell could be re-engineered.

Reading elsewhere about further electrification coming - Felixstowe and odd links in North London - so there could be lots of opportunity for more electric traction - but no idea how the costs compare to running 66/70s...??

hst43102

Reading elsewhere about further electrification coming - Felixstowe and odd links in North London - so there could be lots of opportunity for more electric traction - but no idea how the costs compare to running 66/70s...??

Felixstowe electrification should have been done years ago.

CW2

Established Member
The problem of electrifying to Felixstowe is: Who pays?
The passenger usage of the branch is comparatively light so wouldn't justify the expenditure in its own right.
It seems obvious to electrify for the benefit of the freight traffic, but would the FOCs ever see a financial payback from the significant sums required to electrify? There would be cost savings from avoiding the traction changes and reduced fuel bills, and possibly some traincrew savings too, but would they ever recoup the capital costs?
You can't electrify right into the intermodal terminals because the OLE is not compatible with loading / unloading intermodal traffic using cranes, so some form of exchange sidings would need to be the limit of electrification, with a pilot loco(s) shuttling to and fro as required. Would the terminl owner be expected to pick up any of the bill?
So it's obviously a Good Thing, but equally obviously nobody wants to pay for it.

Matt1983

https://www.gwrr.co.uk/news...
This confirms something I read when the first 90 was repainted into orange. On Freightliner's Twitter feed a poster said it was a shame no 86's would ever be repainted or something similar and Freightliner responded with a 'watch this space!' or words to that effect. Would be great to see.

MB162435

Established Member
Who owns 90050 anyway? I understood that EWS / DBS provided 90016 as a replacement after admitting their culpability in the catastrophic failure of 90050, following maintenance carried out by them on behalf of Freightliner. So do Freightliner own 90050, or was it swapped with 90016 so that it (90050) is now technically a DBS loco?
In the Rail Guide 2020, it is listed as a DB Loco so I would say it is under DB ownership now

MB162435

Established Member
90050 is owned by Freightliner.

Thanks for the correction, just checked the Guide and it is indeed listed as owned by Freightliner but in the DB fleet list, thought I'd probably just misremembered what it said

On Moderation
Thanks for the correction, just checked the Guide and it is indeed listed as owned by Freightliner but in the DB fleet list, thought I'd probably just misremembered what it said
It’s actually changed hands a few times in recent years. After the fire, ownership of 90016 and 90050 was swapped between EWS and Porterbrook so that 90016 replaced it in the Freightliner fleet. Some time later LNWR purchased it for spares use from DB when they had the Freightliner maintenance contract. It has since transferred ownership to Freightliner for further parts recovery.

Here endeth the history lesson...!

MB162435

Established Member
It’s actually changed hands a few times in recent years. After the fire, ownership of 90016 and 90050 was swapped between EWS and Porterbrook so that 90016 replaced it in the Freightliner fleet. Some time later LNWR purchased it for spares use from DB when they had the Freightliner maintenance contract. It has since transferred ownership to Freightliner for further parts recovery.

Here endeth the history lesson...!
Wow, didn't realise how complicated 050's life was, thanks for the info about it, as I thought it only jumped ship once but as you say you could do a whole documentary over 90050's life!

CW2

Established Member
Yes,thanks for that.I think it is safe to conclude it is unlikely ever to run again.

USRailFan

I've always wondered why they are used in pairs. Why is this? The Freightliner ones only have 3600hp, yet this is more than a class 66, which are used singly. Is it to do with tractive effort?

Haven't they ran in pairs - at leat on WCML Freightliners - ever since BR days?

Status
Not open for further replies.