• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Class 90 and Class 86

Status
Not open for further replies.

USRailFan

Are the ex-GEML Class 90s all going to Freightliner? And does this mean Freightliner will get rid of the 86s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
1) Locos 003-015 are going to Freightliner and are reported to be in temporary storage. Locos 001-002 are going to Locomotive Services Limited.
2) That is the plan, yes, once Freighliner have commissioned the above locomotives.

childwallblues

Established Member
90001/2 have been moved to Crewe HS, 90003-13/15 are in store at Norwich Crown Point whilst 90014 is at Crewe IEMD undergoing a heavy overhaul.

USRailFan

How many Class 90s will Freightliner have after this? And are any other operator's Class 90s in use anymore?

ExRes

Established Member
Locomotive Services Ltd will have 2

Freightliner will have 24

DB Cargo will have 24

Some of the DBC locos will be going on hire to Grand Central for their service from Euston

USRailFan

Does DBC really run that much electric freight? They couldn't even find use for all their Class 92s, so what do they need so many Class 90s for, especialy now they're no longer running mail?

ExRes

Established Member
Many of them, fifteen I believe, are either stored or for hire to Grand Central, Freightliner also have one which is used for spares

Mollman

Established Member
Does DBC really run that much electric freight? They couldn't even find use for all their Class 92s, so what do they need so many Class 90s for, especially now they're no longer running mail?

There appears to be a number of 66 hauled workings which could be 90s. Also if the government ever gets around to some infill electrification then there will be more routes they could be used on (such as London Gateway services). 92s had issues which meant the routes they could be used on were limited, especially now that Northern's new EMUs seem to dislike them (they apparently interfere with the electrical systems)

D365

Veteran Member
92s had issues which meant the routes they could be used on were limited, especially now that Northern's new EMUs seem to dislike them (they apparently interfere with the electrical systems)

That sounds familiar. There was a whole paragraph on the Class 378 Wikipedia page claiming that harmonic interference from the Class 92s was causing the 378s to "shut down". Apparently this was fixed by Bombardier altering the tolerance settings.

captainbigun

The CAF units were found to be problematic, not the 92s. It was they that were causing 390s as well as 92s to limp.

On Moderation
Neither have I, 90039 also seems to be in the same pool but its at Crewe IEMD. I wonder if they'll actually get used for sandite?
It’s a stored/holding pool they’re using with that description, that’s all. It appears to have only been used recently for locos stood down since COVID-19 reduced traffic.

USRailFan

Locomotive Services Ltd will have 2

Freightliner will have 24

DB Cargo will have 24

Some of the DBC locos will be going on hire to Grand Central for their service from Euston

I thought at least one 90 had been retired due to fire damage? But this seems to indicate all 50 are still in existence?

D365

Veteran Member
I thought at least one 90 had been retired due to fire damage? But this seems to indicate all 50 are still in existence?

Freightliner owns 90050 (the fire damaged locomotive in question) and now leases 23 further examples;

• 13 locomotives ex-Greater Anglia (purchased from Porterbrook)
  • 9 locomotives that they’ve leased since privatisation (now purchased from Porterbrook)
  • 1 locomotive (90016) from EWS. Not sure what the ownership of that one is.
90050 has not been reported as scrapped yet, I am lead to believe that its remnants can still be seen in a Crewe depot.

Last edited:

On Moderation
Freightliner owns 90050 (the fire damaged locomotive in question) and now leases 23 further examples;

• 13 locomotives ex-Greater Anglia (leased from Porterbrook)
  • 9 locomotives that they’ve leased since privatisation (also Porterbrook)
  • 1 locomotive (90016) from EWS. Not sure what the ownership of that one is.
90050 has not been reported as scrapped yet, I am lead to believe that its remnants can still be seen in a Crewe depot.
Freightliner now own all their Class 90s including 90003-15.

90016 was swapped ownership with 90050 when 50 was damaged and the issue was traced back to EWS. So 16 became a Porterbrook loco and 50 swapped to EWS ownership.

D365

Veteran Member
Freightliner now own all their Class 90s including 90003-15.

90016 was swapped ownership with 90050 when 50 was damaged and the issue was traced back to EWS. So 16 became a Porterbrook loco and 50 swapped to EWS ownership.

Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that Freightliner did buy 050 back, unless that is down to Wikipedia inaccuracy.

On Moderation
Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that Freightliner did buy 050 back, unless that is down to Wikipedia inaccuracy.
That is correct. 50 has passed through EWS hands and was bought by Freightliner a while back for spares. Not sure LNWR didn’t have it for spares at one point as well when they maintained the ‘Liner 90s.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There appears to be a number of 66 hauled workings which could be 90s.
(Snipped)
Could you provide some examples of these, please? (I wasn't clear if you were referring to Freightliner or DB Cargo and am thinking about 'normal' flows rather the current reduced level.)

Whistler40145

Established Member
Could you provide some examples of these, please? (I wasn't clear if you were referring to Freightliner or DB Cargo and am thinking about 'normal' flows rather the current reduced level.)
Obviously 90s could only cover such duties under the wires

USRailFan

I would think the majority if not all Class 66-hauled services between Preston/Birmingham/Crewe to Carlisle or Mossend could be operated by electrics on the WCML?

hwl

Established Member
I would think the majority if not all Class 66-hauled services between Preston/Birmingham/Crewe to Carlisle or Mossend could be operated by electrics on the WCML?
Ipswich Yard - Crewe would be another big gain

Mollman

Established Member

There were a number of DB Anglo - Scottish container workings that were 66s whilst 90s were still working sleepers. Obviously things are complicated by non-electrified routes. The Seaforth - Mossend workings for example are majority under the wires but suffer from lack of last mile electrification, as do workings to London Gateway
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H44945/2020-04-23/detailed

Highland37

Established Member
Fantasy I know, but is there enough space inside a 90 to house the engine and equipment for "last mile" capability? Anyone got any internal shots from a 90?

Status
Not open for further replies.