• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Drag at Northampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Does anyone know why a Freightliner passed through Northampton going North @ 13:49 with a Class 66 dragging 86632?

Had the 86 expired as the OHLE wasn't off?

No Driver onboard 86632 & no sign of fire damage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why a Freightliner passed through Northampton going North @ 13:49 with a Class 66 dragging 86632?

Had the 86 expired as the OHLE wasn't off?

No Driver onboard 86632 & no sign of fire damage.

I saw this at Wembley on my way to work - I assume the Can couldnt!

sprinterguy

Established Member
It is very rare that the 86/6s work alone, if ever. They almost always work in pairs, the only Freightliner 86 that works trains solo is the regeared 86501.

As such, this might have been a convenient way to move the class 86 dead in train to Crewe, where they are maintained, on a service booked for a 66, rather than using up an additional path running it light engine.

Or alternatively the 86 that 86632 was paired with might have expired, and if it was not possible to find a replacement 86 nearby then the 66 was dropped on instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.