• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Intermodal after trainee drivers across UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMBO

I recommend you look into how on its knees the freight industry is, seriously. It won't recover. The coal will never be the same again. The company highlighted just like Schenker a surplus of drivers because of all this. The unions have now kept these drivers employed. I just don't know how else to explain it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Thanks freightliner for paying for me to take the assessments but by the sounds of it just as well I failed the HH interview last year :o

flimflam

I recommend you look into how on its knees the freight industry is, seriously. It won't recover. The coal will never be the same again. The company highlighted just like Schenker a surplus of drivers because of all this. The unions have now kept these drivers employed. I just don't know how else to explain it.

The freight industry is on its knees? Are you for real? Coal is a dying market sure, but it's place to a lesser degree is being taken by moving biomass. I doubt GBRF or Colas would agree that the industry is on its knees.

Goingloco

Thanks Rocket for the 'frontline' viewpoint, very insightful.

Much frustration from the applicants as the business gets its ducks in a row. From a personal perspective whilst my preference would be to work IM I do not believe that roles can be guaranteed. As such I have applied and have an interview with a TOC off the back of the fact that FL has paid for all the assessments. Having passed these can only go in your favour when a TOC is sifting applications.

Fingers crossed on FL.

Jace69er

Thanks Rocket for the 'frontline' viewpoint, very insightful.

Much frustration from the applicants as the business gets its ducks in a row. From a personal perspective whilst my preference would be to work IM I do not believe that roles can be guaranteed. As such I have applied and have an interview with a TOC off the back of the fact that FL has paid for all the assessments. Having passed these can only go in your favour when a TOC is sifting applications.

Fingers crossed on FL.

Exactly how I see it. And I have done the exact same thing

Timpg

I can't think who you are....Are you that bloke that walks round doing nothing and hides behind containers. ;).

Anyway, my engine is bigger than your L200

Nah I'm the bloke who's still waiting for his cup of tea 'hint' 'hint'!!

Jace69er

Intermodal deal with containers. Also if your thinking the knock on effect from heavy-haul then bare in mind these coal shut downs are 5 to 10 years away at the very least. Many drivers will retire in that time.

I still stand by what I have said in the past and that is every depot is different. This will more of an issue at certain depots than other.

Yes the freight is loosing coal but that doesn't mean it's dead

Jace69er

Your faith in freightliner is admirable, mine is waning now.

I do still have hope for this job but I'm not too sure as the more I read the more it makes no sense to take on trainees. then again the intermodal may explode.... who knows?

Just got to keep the faith buddy. Not saying it's a definite go ahead but one thing is for sure they ain't said no to everyone yet. And why keep all the guys hanging on if they know it's not happening?

Jace69er

Do you think the next email will inform us of being in the talent pool

I would say the next email will be either to say you have a space on a course or as you say " thanks but no thanks we will keep you in mind"

They last stated they were still doing a work load review. I suspect they are waiting on some sort of announcement. Maybe the franchise announcement for TPE? As even although that is for heavy-haul it will have a knock on effect for Intermodal in certain areas.

That's the only reason I can think of

Jace69er

Most recent email doesn't mention anything about there still being a Trainee Train Driver Scheme, as the last few have. Just have to wait and see what the New Year brings. A bit of news ive just seen that a coal powered plant has the go ahead to be turned into bio mass plant. I suppose the wood pellets will still have to transported by train
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...reen-light-to-burn-American-wood-pellets.html

Your right it doesn't

But then again it did state that you all ain't been forgotten about.

The question I keep asking is why keep you all hanging on if it's dead?

Strange one indeed

Thanks

007Bond

Unfortunately I'm getting a bit sad and deflated about this right now.

I had my interview in Crewe in the summer and even with waiting until after Christmas, and if they figure out they are going to run a drivers course, there's still no guarantee they'll even want me. That will hurt the most!

I'd just love to be given a chance... I do wish others in the same boat good luck too though!

007Bond

Is anyone else confused about the current situation?

I realise they're doing a Business Review but I wonder how long it will take. Surely they know whether they need Trainee Train Drivers or not. If they didn't then surely they'd just reject us by now. I'm hoping for some good news after Christmas but I can't see it happening sadly

Timpg

Is anyone else confused about the current situation?

I realise they're doing a Business Review but I wonder how long it will take. Surely they know whether they need Trainee Train Drivers or not. If they didn't then surely they'd just reject us by now. I'm hoping for some good news after Christmas but I can't see it happening sadly

You'll probably need to wait a few years mate.

007Bond

I'm guessing nobody has heard anything since the last update on 1st December? Thanks in advance

yerman164

I'm guessing nobody has heard anything since the last update on 1st December? Thanks in advance

I have not heard anything further. I have more or less accepted that this isn't going to happen, it would just be nice to be told definitively one way or the other.

andy-ed

I'd give up chasing them and look elsewhere - Trust me ; you'll live and sleep better :)

I was involved in the 2014 process and it was a waste of time for many concerned. A few of us were successful in gaining other industry jobs whilst waiting for Freightliner to answer emails and confirm talent pool/vacancy/sign off blah blah
I'm still waiting - 2 years later!

Out of all the companies I applied to and engaged with. Freightliner were the only ones that actively ignored correspondence.

3 people at my TOC went through the same process with Freightliner. All have similar feedback.

007Bond

I'm going to give it another week or so and then pop them another email. I half get the feeling they're not being honest about everything which is a shame because I would like to work for them!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Out of all the companies I applied to and engaged with. Freightliner were the only ones that actively ignored correspondence.

3 people at my TOC went through the same process with Freightliner. All have similar feedback.

I would say that every time I've emailed them they have replied so maybe it's been a change of personnel since then

Status
Not open for further replies.