• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner trainee driver positions ('Graduate scheme')

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMBO

HH won't be recruiting at all for the foreseeable future after what has happened with the coal, there are drivers sat spare at home!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Hi

How is everyone doing who was lucky enough to get on the september or january courses? Some of you must be past out now?

Though I failed the interview seems unlikely i would have a job with them even if I had past due to circumstances that were not foreseen

Gash923

I have given up hope on this talent pool business to be honest. It would have been nice to receive an email or letter to say what's happening but iv'e heard diddly squat along with others by the sound of it.

d_kingscott

I have given up hope on this talent pool business to be honest. It would have been nice to receive an email or letter to say what's happening but iv'e heard diddly squat along with others by the sound of it.

I'm in a talent pool with 2 other companies... they don't email every week but I know where I am with them. Freightliner have not been so helpful, I've forgot about my application with them to be honest

Goingloco

Could someone clarify one point. If there are persons sat in a talent pool waiting to be called up why would Freightliner go through a lengthy and costly recruitment campaign which now appears to have been pulled?

Not being involved with the rail industry is this normal? I'm one of those that has battled through to the final interview but I'm confused but this as I'd have thought they would process the talent pool first and foremost.......perhaps naively.

Daz9284

Could someone clarify one point. If there are persons sat in a talent pool waiting to be called up why would Freightliner go through a lengthy and costly recruitment campaign which now appears to have been pulled?

Not being involved with the rail industry is this normal? I'm one of those that has battled through to the final interview but I'm confused but this as I'd have thought they would process the talent pool first and foremost.......perhaps naively.

Simple: they've lost a few contracts to rival companies, and the downturn in coal traffic. They have many drivers sat at home doing nothing (some haven't worked for over a month), so they have no need to train up drivers.

Regards
Darryl

Rocket

Unfortunately all the freight companies did not know the affect with the downturn of coal would have, which most FOC's took a big hit with. Also other contracts do move around.

Last edited:

yerman164

Unfortunately all the freight companies did not know the affect with the downturn of coal would have, which most FOC's took a big hit with. Also other contracts do move around.

Intermodal were asked (railway rumour) to withhold all trainee jobs and if losses were to occur, HH drivers may have the chance to come over to us. Pending vac's.

There's a lot going on at the moment with Freightliner and maybe by Oct/Nov, HH will have a better idea what is happening.

As for trainees, I think it will be a long time before they take on again, unless there is a up turn on traffic.

You mentioned that Intermodal were rumoured to have been asked to withold all trainee jobs.

Does this mean that the Intermodal training courses which were meant to take place in October 2015 and March 2016 almost certainly won't happen? If so, do you believe that candidates who were interviewed recently for Intermodal will be placed in a talent pool in case the situation changes?

Goingloco

Simple: they've lost a few contracts to rival companies, and the downturn in coal traffic. They have many drivers sat at home doing nothing (some haven't worked for over a month), so they have no need to train up drivers.

Regards
Darryl

Thanks Darryl,

I appreciate this but the fact remains that the talent pool has people already why run another campaign which commenced a few months ago? Are the ramifications of the downturn in coal only a very recently presenting themselves?

From an outsiders perspective it appears that this recruitment process continued even though the problems were evident? I may be well off the mark but this is how it could be interpreted......

Rocket

Sorry, but I can't answer that as I don't know. That would be something HR would deal with.

We just heard (railway rumour) that they weren't taking any trainees on, until HH get sorted out with their drivers.

Last edited:

Goingloco

Thanks Rocket, turbulent times for sure. I'm grateful for having passed through all the tests and at the very least have the flexibility to apply elsewhere, there are many positives to take from the process.

It's not through choice that Freightliner finds itself in the current position it does!

yerman164

Sorry, but I can't answer that as I don't know. That would be something HR would deal with.

We just heard (railway rumour) that they weren't taking any trainees on, until HH get sorted out with their drivers. If there are surplus drivers on HH, they will no doubt have first dibs with us.

Whether this affects the 2 courses, I wouldn't know.

Thank you for the information. Hopefully Intermodal will be able to let candidates know soon.

Gash923

It's not through choice that Freightliner finds itself in the current position it does![/QUOTE]

Got to agree that it's not Freightliners fault for the loss of traffic etc, but keeping candidates up to date is sadly one of their downfalls. I'm no computer whizzkid but I reckon I could produce a simple email and send it to all candidates sat in the pool in about 15 minutes.

On another note Cherries, I'm a Hartlepool fan and reckon your teams performance last week was the best I have ever seen from an away team in the 25 odd years of me going. Good Luck for the season!!

Goingloco

Thanks for the kind words as a long standing season ticket holder we are in dream land and have been really unlucky so far, we remain hopeful! I thought they must have played well to get the result they did and best of luck for the season ahead!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JAMBO

All the left over intermodal work now been transferred to heavy haul next month.

Benbob29

From what I have heard talking to the Freightliner drivers, Intermodal have been asked to give Heavy Haul around 500hrs of work to stop any Heavy Haul drivers being made redundant. The Intermodal instructor who I was speaking to about it was also under the impression that there was not going to be any further graduate courses for a while until the dust had settled.

387star

On Moderation
At least they honour assessments for five years given most tocs it is three at most that is generous

kopitecarper

Hello, are you currently employed within Freightliner or currently applying/sat in a talent pool? Not sure which group that your question was posted to. Cheers.

Not employed by FL HH no and yep letter regarding HH intake
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
About what?? The talent pool situation?

Yep for HH
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi there, yes I got the letter from FLHH saying the course has been postponed indefinately.

I can't say it's a suprise and I was expecting it earlier TBH.

regards,
darryl

Same here mate, oh well what will be will be.

Gash923

Just a quick update. Having heard absolutely nothing (no letter, phone call or email) since the back end of 2014 regarding the talent pool situation I decided to give Freightliner HH a call today. I'm obviously aware of others being contacted by letter and the downturn in Coal traffic, but it was confirmed that the talent pool has essentially been scrapped and there was no point in them taking my change of address as they are not recruiting in the near future. Nice of them to let me know!!

class 9

Most railway HR depts are pretty poor so it's not surprising you heard nothing!
Just to clarify the Freightliner situation both HH and IM, HH are making 114 staff redundant of that 83 are Drivers, they have offered voluntary redundancy or transfers to other HH or IM depots, that said there are nowhere near 83 vacancies.
There will be no graduate courses again for a numbers of years if at all.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Most railway HR depts are pretty poor so it's not surprising you heard nothing!
Just to clarify the Freightliner situation both HH and IM, HH are making 114 staff redundant of that 83 are Drivers, they have offered voluntary redundancy or transfers to other HH or IM depots, that said there are nowhere near 83 vacancies.
There will be no graduate courses again for a numbers of years if at all.

The situation is beyond dire. Extremely sad for all involved. Best wishes brothers and sisters in finding work elsewhere to those displaced from HH.

Status
Not open for further replies.