• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Drivers 2022 - (01/11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Trainee Train Driver Scheme | Careers | Freightliner | G&W UK / Europe

Thought it worth starting a new post for this? But please merge with the old Freightliner trainee one if required :D

We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our Trainee Train Driver Apprenticeship Scheme across both our Heavy Haul (HH) and Intermodal (IM) areas of the rail platform.
Trainee Train driver starting salary £20,982 (HH)/ £21,939 (IM), progressing to £26,554 (HH)/ £28,208 (IM) on completion of classroom training and upon qualification rising to £56,175 (HH)/ £51,765 (IM).
We plan to run four Trainee Train Driver schemes throughout 2022, and will be looking for applicants for the following locations:
  • Acton
  • Bedford
  • Bristol
  • Carlisle
  • Crewe
  • Earles
  • Eastleigh
  • Ipswich
  • Mendip
  • Mossend
  • Reading
  • Sandiacre
  • Tilbury
Good luck anyone who goes for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks very much for the heads-up. Application submitted. Drive time, door-to-door, is 62 minutes but a mixture of bus & rail will see me at the Crewe site in under 50 minutes. Let's hope they take that in to consideration when sifting.

Class2ldn

They normally use Google maps to work out travel time as the majority of people will use a car .

I'm prepared for a knock-back, based on drive time, to be fair. An Avanti WC service does get me from Wolverhampton to Crewe in 29 minutes, although that way is far more expensive than just driving up the M6. I'll hold on to that hope, but for the sake of completing a 25 minute questionnaire I would rather have an application declined than not apply and wonder what might have been.

TalentpoolTel

Hi everyone. So for those of us that have been successful and just waiting for a medical and course start date is this good or bad news? Passed the assessments and the DMI. Is this intake to replace us in the pool and we will hear something soon or push us back to the bottom of the pile? Such a competitive industry and the elation of the phone call to tell me I have been successful has disappeared somewhat.

Class2ldn

I'm prepared for a knock-back, based on drive time, to be fair. An Avanti WC service does get me from Wolverhampton to Crewe in 29 minutes, although that way is far more expensive than just driving up the M6. I'll hold on to that hope, but for the sake of completing a 25 minute questionnaire I would rather have an application declined than not apply and wonder what might have been.
Always worth a go, good luck

4F89

Just for all, HH depots, you could go literally anywhere

IM, you will be going up and down the nearest ECML / WCML / Western etc. If you are at the North end, you will go south, if in the middle, North and south, and at the south end..... you can guess. Your best bet is to look on RTT and see where the trains go. A normal shift would be taking it approximately 3-4 hours from depot, then another one back after your pnb.

BlueMike26

Anyone know roughly how long training takes before you're qualified? Couldn't see a timeframe on the ad.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm 1hr 2 min and 1hr 8 min away from my nearest two. :lol: Close but not close enough. That's the postcode lottery!
Still go for it if you're interested - I lived in Manchester when I applied originally, and partway through the application they offered me a role at Guide Bridge which wasn't even advertised for initially.

baz962

Established Member
Still go for it if you're interested - I lived in Manchester when I applied originally, and partway through the application they offered me a role at Guide Bridge which wasn't even advertised for initially.
They got fed up with you and passed you to Wembley :D

sargentsiri

This is fantastic, thank you for posting!

Eastleigh depot is literally an 8 minute drive from my house which would be perfect!

Would I be right in assuming they class IM work as container work, thus, most if not all of the work out of Eastleigh?

4F89

They got fed up with you and passed you to Wembley :D
Hahahaaha

This is fantastic, thank you for posting!

Eastleigh depot is literally an 8 minute drive from my house which would be perfect!

Would I be right in assuming they class IM work as container work, thus, most if not all of the work out of Eastleigh?
Some HH down that way

JoeEcco

When are the four courses do we know? I have a four week holiday for my wedding in August that's already been cancelled once so dont want to postpone it again.

Eebbs1912

I've applied for mossend. Not sure I'll even be looking by the time they get through applications. I've currently got 80 hours left to qualified otm driver. Fancy freight as soon as I'm qualified though, sick of constant nights and working away.

Bonzo

Hi everyone. So for those of us that have been successful and just waiting for a medical and course start date is this good or bad news? Passed the assessments and the DMI. Is this intake to replace us in the pool and we will hear something soon or push us back to the bottom of the pile? Such a competitive industry and the elation of the phone call to tell me I have been successful has disappeared somewhat.
If you have an ongoing positive application but with no contact or start date would it be possible to apply again?

4F89

I've applied for mossend. Not sure I'll even be looking by the time they get through applications. I've currently got 80 hours left to qualified otm driver. Fancy freight as soon as I'm qualified though, sick of constant nights and working away.
Yeah, that ain't gonna work out....

rhys37429

Large percentage of freight work is nights.

Unless somebody can shed some light on Mossend depot to say otherwise.

Don't be detured tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.