• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
I did my tests on 9th August not heard back yet :frown:
There’s probably hundreds to sift through mate. Everybody in this thread probably makes up a really small percentage of the total number of applicants so you’re probably not in not hearing back yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

casualdav

Does anybody know how many jobs are available?

If not could anyone hazard a guess as to how many positions are available?

Seeing all these people mentioning they've all already passed to enhanced standard is really starting to play on my pessimistic nature haha

Bristol VRIII

There’s probably hundreds to sift through mate. Everybody in this thread probably makes up a really small percentage of the total number of applicants so you’re probably not in not hearing back yet.
Thanks Stigy hopefully hear back soon, congrats on getting through where do you have to go for your assessment centre?, I passed all the tests last year with GTR but failed the MMI not sure if it was to enhanced standard as we were not told

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy hopefully hear back soon, congrats on getting through where do you have to go for your assessment centre?, I passed all the tests last year with GTR but failed the MMI not sure if it was to enhanced standard as we were not told

Thanks! It’s in Crewe in 24th, but if a trek from down south but it’ll be a nice day out :D

Stigy

Established Member

Seeing all these people mentioning they've all already passed to enhanced standard is really starting to play on my pessimistic nature haha

Not heard how many trainees they’re looking for but I’d imagine they are planning several courses. Driving jobs are always really sought after and as such attract hundreds if not thousands of applications. I would imagine numbers are significantly reduced through the assessment stages? There’s also got to be an application form at some point I’d imagine too? (This could reduce numbers further?). Can’t be any more definite than that, and to be honest it’s mainly educated guesses :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Will this assessment day be like, after each test those who failed it go home... or we will all do all tests and find out later on if we passed or not...?

Jay_t

Will this assessment day be like, after each test those who failed it go home... or we will all do all tests and find out later on if we passed or not...?
Mines on 23rd at 13:00. Seems like alot to squeeze into 4 hours. Must find out a few days later. All those who have already passed this stage must be in a better position than most already!

Timpg

When I did mine, it was over two days, 1st day was paper pencil tests ie group bourden, dfft, memory test ( GLOP ), dfft, and the telephone directories one with the tones you count ( can’t remember the name of it now lol ). If successful we went on the next day and did the computer tests, and if successful you stayed for the mmi. But I know of those who went to crew and did the whole lot in one day, if you failed anything you went home.

Stigy

Established Member

I think it depends on the company. I've done one where it's split in to two halves, and those who don't meet the standard after the tests in the first half go home, those who pass the first half go through to the second half. I guess companies could be different though?

Can't remember who mentioned this, but I just had a look at the DFFT practice and it looks more daunting than it actually is (for the practice at least). When I initially looked it was very 'wordy' and complex, but if you don't over-analyse it it's actually quite simple. I think this is an addition for enhanced assessments only, as I certainly didn't do this on my previous go? I was kind of assuming this was the dials and what not in terms of fault finding (The TRP), as it's a hell of a lot simpler.

Bigticket

What’s the freightliner policy on relocation?

Freightliner don't provide any relocation package. You'll be expected to live as close to the depot as possible. In fact, proximity to the depot is one of the first filters they use.

Lew0291

This is my first time applying for a driving role so just wondering if anybody has any tips on what will be asked in the interview?

Suraggu

Just because the jobs state its for Freightliner Limited or Freightliner Heavy Haul, doesn't mean your be dedicated to that style of traffic only.

GJL9916

I applied for a shunt driver job back in July, I sat the OPC tests like you guys which had a deadline of 02nd August but still not heard back either way so surprising you guys are hearing back before? unless they are processing us all together for these stages as we all will be essentially driving trains if successful just you guys maybe a bit further than me haha

Stigy

Established Member
I'm assuming we don't need to confirm our attendance by email or anything? Doesn't say so so I'm assuming not, however it's a heck of a long way for me to travel to find out I've cocked up haha. I think I'm just about OCD with things like this.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm assuming we don't need to confirm our attendance by email or anything? Doesn't say so so I'm assuming not, however it's a heck of a long way for me to travel to find out I've cocked up haha. I think I'm just about OCD with things like this.

I wasn’t planning to, the email is pretty clear to me so just make sure you take it with you in the unlikely event of an “administrative oversight”

Stigy

Established Member
I wasn’t planning to, the email is pretty clear to me so just make sure you take it with you in the unlikely event of an “administrative oversight”
I agree. As I said, just a bit OCD and wanted to make sure. :D

LJS6215

Quick question if anyone can help, do we know the current trainee driver salary scheme? I need to know if it’s even viable for me to go into a trainee scheme yet, or whether it’s worth sitting all tests and just waiting and see. I’ve passed the VSE & SJT and have assessments on 29th in Crewe (hotel is a 5 minute walk from my house, thankfully)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Metcalfe1989

Hi, I currently work for freightliner, as far as I'm aware the starting salary is 19k, and after 2 or 3 month it's jumps to 24k, and when you sign your first route you'll be on full whack.
Similar boat to some, passed all the tests listed for the assessment centre with another toc in Feb 18 to the enhanced pass mark so ive emailed to see what I do now as Im coming from Wolverhampton on 23rd at 1300. Does anyone know the training salary as it only mentioned competitive on the advert

Metcalfe1989

Hi mate, I work for freightliner as a mobile shunter, and don't take my word as gospel!. But I've heard they want 60 new drivers, as people have left and also some of the drivers are getting into there last 4 or 5 years before they retire.

LJS6215

Hi, I currently work for freightliner, as far as I'm aware the starting salary is 19k, and after 2 or 3 month it's jumps to 24k, and when you sign your first route you'll be on full whack.

thanks for the info on that.

Last edited:

Ian Hunt

And full whack is...? :)

Just completed the SJT & I'm going to do the VSE tomorrow... Glad I signed up to the forum as there are a lot of nuggets of information here.
If I can escape from 25 years in IT, on the corporate hamster wheel and do something I want to do... the salary level isn't everything (so long as I cover the bills etc), satisfaction and life enjoyment come first for me.
(Would be nice to have a rough idea though!!)

GJL9916

Woohoo finally got an email, I'm though too!
I'm thinking of staying overnight the night before to avoid a panicked rush on the morning itself...
Many years I have been applying for these roles and this is the first time I have ever got to an assessment centre so even if I get no further I'm pretty happy :)

Did they give any indication on the email to any marks / pass mark or was it just a case of saying you've passed?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Did they give any indication on the email to any marks / pass mark or was it just a case of saying you've passed?

No marks matey just that I met the required standard.

It doesn’t mention it on the email but in the attachments there is a bit about a multi modal interview

I think that will be on a second assessment day if we’re fortunate enough to pass this first one :)

Pete C

Screenshot_20180807-110349_Samsung Internet.jpg Yeah what Martin said, that's also how it was explained in the pre application blurb - just the pencil and paper tests on the first day, MMI and computer tests on the second day if you pass the first and manager interview on a third day if you pass the first and the second (phew!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.