• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanstaff

Massive achivement that mate, congratulations!!!! Bet your chuffed..

Hey guys,

Subject to medical I've been accepted into their trainee driver programme. 3.5 years of waiting has paid off. I'm over the moon.

It's moved so quickly since stage 2 testing on 4th September. If I remember I think they're looking at early november start and I'm down for Birmingham.

It's a good sign for rest of you how quickly it's moved. Not seen that before
well done mate.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Timpg

Hey guys,

Subject to medical I've been accepted into their trainee driver programme. 3.5 years of waiting has paid off. I'm over the moon.

It's moved so quickly since stage 2 testing on 4th September. If I remember I think they're looking at early november start and I'm down for Birmingham.

Congratulations mate!! Iv just got home from London after attending my medical!! All the best mate

Cheggers

Where did you apply for?
Ignore me thought you meant me. Was going to say for DMI. I mentioned routes for your depot, units they drive and whether the depot was HH or intermodal. One of the Q's was why do you want to work for FL and why you want to be a train driver. Lastly I was asked what I've learned from this whole process.

delticdeano74

Hey guys,

Well done pal, really great news.

GLENMAYE77

Hey guys,

Brilliant....well done.
Hope I’m posting this myself

Standby for us all to pester you some more!

BillyB

Hey guys,

Well done Cheggers congratulations bud

Stigy

Established Member
Hey guys,

Many congrats to you, bet it’s also a massive weight off given the intensity of it all! Best of luck!

Can anyone advise me, looking at the practice stuff for the stage 2 tests and right at the end of the RSSB document there’s the Written Communication Test. This is at the end of the document which is about the computer tests for some reason? Am I right in thinking that was part of stage 1? As I said, I only needed to do two assessments at stage 1 so I’m not 100% sure if that would be part of it or not? (I can’t find my initial stage 1 email which would have listed all the tests either). I assumed it would be stage 1, plus there’s no mention of it in the email from the OPC saying I’m required to do it for stage 2.

jhen2105

Many congrats to you, bet it’s also a massive weight off given the intensity of it all! Best of luck!

Can anyone advise me, looking at the practice stuff for the stage 2 tests and right at the end of the RSSB document there’s the Written Communication Test. This is at the end of the document which is about the computer tests for some reason? Am I right in thinking that was part of stage 1? As I said, I only needed to do two assessments at stage 1 so I’m not 100% sure if that would be part of it or not? (I can’t find my initial stage 1 email which would have listed all the tests either). I assumed it would be stage 1, plus there’s no mention of it in the email from the OPC saying I’m required to do it for stage 2.

You don’t do the written communication test for stage 2. The first thing you’ll do is the situational judgment exercise followed by writing down your six competency examples for the interview. Next you do the three computer tests followed by the MMI and then the DMI. Not necessarily in that order but that’s everything you’ll complete on the day.

Brooksy

Ok so I made it to stage 2 I’m going to Crewe for the 16th October, going to crash out at the royal hotel the night before and drive down to center on the morning! Good luck to everyone else who made it !!

GLENMAYE77

You don’t do the written communication test for stage 2. The first thing you’ll do is the situational judgment exercise followed by writing down your six competency examples for the interview. Next you do the three computer tests followed by the MMI and then the DMI. Not necessarily in that order but that’s everything you’ll complete on the day.

The 3 computer tests.....are they?
1) the flashing grey square
2) the observational road pictures
3) the 2 hand drawing shapes

jhen2105

The 3 computer tests.....are they?
1) the flashing grey square
2) the observational road pictures
3) the 2 hand drawing shapes

Yeah, that's correct.

From memory, the flashing grey squares exercise lasts for 33 minutes, the pictures 14 minutes and the two handed co-ordination 10 minutes.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for confirming. I found my original email and it appears that isn’t done at stage 1 either? Do they not always do that one? I did it the first time round anyway so don’t have to worry about it, just seems strange there’s no mention of it?

Bristol VRIII

Hi Stigy not all TOC's require you to do the WCT its not mandatory. I had to do it for GTR and it was straight forward, as it's not on FL email that suggests to me that It wont be on there

SP Man

The problem is how far it is - the road once you're inside the Freightliner bit alone is about 15 mins walk! I'll try to illustrate with some screenshots...
View attachment 52504
View attachment 52505
Cone out the station and turn left, over the access road (to LSL), at the lights turn left past the old Rail House and Crewe Football Ground. Keep going fit about 3/4 mile and go under the railway bridge. Just after the bridge do a left (DRS on the right) and if walking follow the walking route. Take care lot of road wagons around. Keep going up this access road past the Network Rail scrap terminal, keep going roads turns right past the large new maintenance depot and over the rail level crossing. Keep walking (the yard is on your left) and head towards the big 3 storie green portacabins. Walking time is about 20-25 mins. It mat be worth getting a taxi so has not to arrive sweaty.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi Stigy not all TOC's require you to do the WCT its not mandatory. I had to do it for GTR and it was straight forward, as it's not on FL email that suggests to me that It wont be on there
Thanks for the advice. I just assumed all standard tests were mandatory. I wasntvtgat worried about it as I did it for my current TOC a while ago, just saw it in the practice material and it threw me a bit :)

dawny291

Hey guys,

Does your email state you've been accepted or does it just 'advise' you that you are being progressed to the next stage and have been invited to attend a medical?

Cheggers

Does your email state you've been accepted or does it just 'advise' you that you are being progressed to the next stage and have been invited to attend a medical?
That's a very specific question.

I received my job offer today subject to passing medical. Start date in November.

Hope this helps.

crayzeuk

I’ve not got a Stage 2 date yet but I’m my email it advises either in or after October 2018.....I have a holiday booked for the first 2 weeks of November. I’m wondering if I give them notice of these dates would they take them in to account so as not to give me a Stage 2 date whilst I’m away?

I passed my stage 1 and was given a date of 6th October, I emailed to say I was out of the country on that date and they have managed to accomodate me, so Id have thought you’d be ok, as it seems theyre running them til atleast the end of the year as mine has been changed from October 6th to December 6th, however they said they would not change it again. I hope this helps. Mine was for Birmingham by the way

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
So I just received an email back from the OPC after I asked if I’d be required to sit all computer tests as I passed these a while ago. They have said I’d need to take the MMI (which I knew anyway as I’ve never done one), however I wouldn’t be asked to resit the Vienna tests again. Now apologies if this is a silly question, but I haven’t seen them listed as this officially anywhere in the invite email I receive. Is the Vienna testing just another name for all computer tests? Cheers all!

lambo89

So I just received an email back from the OPC after I asked if I’d be required to sit all computer tests as I passed these a while ago. They have said I’d need to take the MMI (which I knew anyway as I’ve never done one), however I wouldn’t be asked to resit the Vienna tests again. Now apologies if this is a silly question, but I haven’t seen them listed as this officially anywhere in the invite email I receive. Is the Vienna testing just another name for all computer tests? Cheers all!

Yes it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.