• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Odd how they email some people and phone others. I guess if you don't have a medical coming up they don't need to speak to you!
I thought that. Maybe it depends on the interviewing manager too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’ve just received a email confirming a talent pool position !

I was 9th October. Stage 2 and applied h/h at Crewe.

Stigy

Established Member
Just had my email. Unfortunately not successful. So for me at least, the dream is on hold :(

Good luck to the rest of you still yet to hear back!

Stigy

Established Member
I'm sorry bud
Thanks, one of those things. Annoyingly the email says “If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me”, yet the email is signed “Freightliner”. I replied (just to see how one goes about obtaining feedback) and got a default massesge back saying “Recruitment for Trainee Train Driver is now closed so we can’t respond to enquiries”.

4F89

I had the same auto reply when giving my uniform sizes. On a plus, you have the OPC stuff done, so all is good for other FOC/TOC etc!

Stigy

Established Member
I had the same auto reply when giving my uniform sizes. On a plus, you have the OPC stuff done, so all is good for other FOC/TOC etc!
This is true to an extent, although I only had to do the enhanced tests and MMI for Freightliner. The other results were used from my current TOC. This is where it gets complicated...Freightliner can use the results for 5 years, whereas it’s 3-years with my TOC, so I’m guessing I’d have to redo the original tests bar the ones I took with Freightliner again, unless I find a TOC/FOC with the same 5 year threshold, if that makes sense?

Then to complicate things further. This is life two for me. Will I be out of the game now, even though I’ve passed all tests? Does the 2 strikes rule apply if you passed everything, just timed out? My head hurts :'(

Paulm36

Just had my email. Unfortunately not successful. So for me at least, the dream is on hold :(

Good luck to the rest of you still yet to hear back!
Sorry to hear that mate , don't know if you have seen it or not , but DB are recruiting for junior drivers at eastleigh at the moment.

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry to hear that mate , don't know if you have seen it or not , but DB are recruiting for junior drivers at eastleigh at the moment.
Hi, thanks for the head’s up mate. Didn’t see this, I did look previously but found their website really difficult to navigate. Not sure I’m allowed to apply for any TOC/FOC for 6 months though?

Paulm36

Hi, thanks for the head’s up mate. Didn’t see this, I did look previously but found their website really difficult to navigate. Not sure I’m allowed to apply for any TOC/FOC for 6 months though?
You're welcome , I'm not 100 percent sure , but I thought that only applied to reapplying for freightliner , or after failing one of your lives on the tests. Im sure someone on here could clarify that for you.

4F89

I'm sure the that all your lives are in tact, you can apply where and when you want, from my understanding

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys. I think you may be right regarding the 6-month ruling. It was never going to be easy with this whole process and I still like Freightliner’s way of recruiting. At least I know it was simply the DMI and possibly the CV which needs work (the former more likely).

martin2345uk

Established Member
You deffo haven't used up both lives mate, it's only the DMI that caught you out here and that's 100% not part of the 2 strikes rule!

Luke Allen

Got an email this afternoon. In the pool for Birmingham. Absolutely thrilled. Good luck to everyone else

martin2345uk

Established Member
Congrats all who are hearing!

I have my medical in Birmingham on Monday afternoon, not a great deal of notice!

Looks like I have been put in for Heavy Haul too...

Seejwalker

Thanks, one of those things. Annoyingly the email says “If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me”, yet the email is signed “Freightliner”. I replied (just to see how one goes about obtaining feedback) and got a default massesge back saying “Recruitment for Trainee Train Driver is now closed so we can’t respond to enquiries”.
It does work mate, I've spoken to them through that means, 012704542436 HR number

Seejwalker

Thanks for the tips guys. I think you may be right regarding the 6-month ruling. It was never going to be easy with this whole process and I still like Freightliner’s way of recruiting. At least I know it was simply the DMI and possibly the CV which needs work (the former more likely).
I applied for Freightliner and a TOC at the same time, I had to choose one to continue my application with as you can't sit the assessments again within 6 months, or do them at the same time for two different companies. This would obviously put you at an advantage having sat them before and in such a short timeframe. I'm assuming that as you have passed them, you're free to now apply to any other company, given you have not been sucessful with FL.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I applied for Freightliner and a TOC at the same time, I had to choose one to continue my application with as you can't sit the assessments again within 6 months, or do them at the same time for two different companies. This would obviously put you at an advantage having sat them before and in such a short timeframe. I'm assuming that as you have passed them, you're free to now apply to any other company, given you have not been sucessful with FL.
Thanks for the advice. Re your previous post, I only tried the email and not the phone number so I’ll give that a go on Monday.

I wasn’t sure about the initial tests (the online ones we did at home....seems like over 6 month now anyway since way back when I did them lol). I know those and the DMI don’t form part of the two strikes rule, but wasn’t sure if there was a 6 month thing required there if other companies use the OPC? Likewise, can’t rememver if I can use those results for a year as I’ve passed them? (I know the ones NWR do, last for a year?).

Static65

Thanks for the advice. Re your previous post, I only tried the email and not the phone number so I’ll give that a go on Monday.

I wasn’t sure about the initial tests (the online ones we did at home....seems like over 6 month now anyway since way back when I did them lol). I know those and the DMI don’t form part of the two strikes rule, but wasn’t sure if there was a 6 month thing required there if other companies use the OPC? Likewise, can’t rememver if I can use those results for a year as I’ve passed them? (I know the ones NWR do, last for a year?).

Many TOC's will use the passes that you have already attained without need to re-sit the tests. They can check with the OPC direct. In these cases you can apply straight away with no need to wait.

However, if a TOC does require you to re-sit a test to meet their own enhanced standard, as is the case with group bourdon for the current EMT depot job for example, then you would have to wait until 6 months has passed to be able to retake this.

Stigy

Established Member

Many TOC's will use the passes that you have already attained without need to re-sit the tests. They can check with the OPC direct. In these cases you can apply straight away with no need to wait.

However, if a TOC does require you to re-sit a test to meet their own enhanced standard, as is the case with group bourdon for the current EMT depot job for example, then you would have to wait until 6 months has passed to be able to retake this.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve taken the enhanced tests for Freightliner and passed, but because of this, and because I’ve not had to retake any other tests with them, I assume the 3 or 5 years or whatever limit on the tests I have only just done, start now, but the ones I did (and passed) 3.5 years ago, are still 3.5 years old? Therein may be my issue, because at best I’ve got 18-months on the older test passes to go, at worst (if the TOC i next apply to only use the test passes for 3 years), they’ve run out so will have to retake these? I appreciate this is very long winded but it’s the only way I can think to explain it :).

Static65

Thanks for the advice. I’ve taken the enhanced tests for Freightliner and passed, but because of this, and because I’ve not had to retake any other tests with them, I assume the 3 or 5 years or whatever limit on the tests I have only just done, start now, but the ones I did (and passed) 3.5 years ago, are still 3.5 years old? Therein may be my issue, because at best I’ve got 18-months on the older test passes to go, at worst (if the TOC i next apply to only use the test passes for 3 years), they’ve run out so will have to retake these? I appreciate this is very long winded but it’s the only way I can think to explain it :).

The tests you have just sat with Freightliner override those you previously sat, therefore you now have a fresh 5 years on your passes for anyone that will accept the scores you have just achieved. Some TOC's set their own time limits however at 2 or 3 years and some demand that you take some of them again regardless. Essentially, your tests from 3.5 years ago have been replaced by your new results, regardless of which was higher scoring.

For any tests that Freightliner did not ask you to re-take, you are correct that these will only have 1.5 years to run before you must resit them, however, as you passed them, this does not count as a life lost.

Last edited:

Mike121

The tests you have just sat with Freightliner override those you previously sat, therefore you now have a fresh 5 years on your passes for anyone that will accept the scores you have just achieved. Some TOC's set their own time limits however at 2 or 3 years and some demand that you take some of them again regardless. Essentially, your tests from 3.5 years ago have been replaced by your new results, regardless of which was higher scoring.

I think you have misunderstood there, the tests he has taken 3.5 years ago were not retaken. Therefore the results from 3.5 years ago still stand. And because the TOC he works for have a cut off for 3 years he will have to take them again if applying for the role at said TOC

Static65

I think you have misunderstood there, the tests he has taken 3.5 years ago were not retaken. Therefore the results from 3.5 years ago still stand. And because the TOC he works for have a cut off for 3 years he will have to take them again if applying for the role at said TOC

I agree Mike. I pressed save before finishing my answer and quickly added on an extra line to cover that point. You beat me to it though :)

Seejwalker

Stig, it's a confusing one mate. Best advice I can give is to seek the answers from the horse's mouth mate and give Jo from the OPC an email to arrange a phone chat. At least you know where you stand then. In the meantime, keep your chin up bud and get back out there.

Stigy

Established Member

For any tests that Freightliner did not ask you to re-take, you are correct that these will only have 1.5 years to run before you must resit them, however, as you passed them, this does not count as a life lost.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.