• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickleTree

Although I wasn’t successful at the DMI stage, I allowed Freightliner to give me a shove in the right direction by having a couple of assessments with the (MMI, DFFT and GB to enhanced standard). It at least meant I didn’t have to take anymore assessments for GWR so I’m happy. Was gutted at the time but it obviously wasn’t meant to be.

A very level headed approach @Stigy always good to remember. I too feel pleased I haven’t got to complete those tests/MMI again for a while. Where are you based for GWR?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
A very level headed approach @Stigy always good to remember. I too feel pleased I haven’t got to complete those tests/MMI again for a while. Where are you based for GWR?
Based at Fratton. Good luck to you going forward! As I’ve said a few times here and I’m sure you’re now aware of, if you don’t succeed, keep plugging away at it. In the South there are a few options so it’s not like it’s only FL out there. I applied for DB, Freightliner and GWR. I didn’t go for my present TOC at the time (SWR) deliberately as I would have had to retake all the assessments and risk being back at square one again. It’s about playing the game, and the fact that you have got this far when so many people apply, is an achievement in itself. 4,000 applied at the same time as me at Freightliner (so they said at DMI anyway), so I was happy in that respect. I’d have probably ended up going back to a TOC eventually anyway as Freight generally isn’t as friendly to family life (may work for some, but it’s generally more anti-social). All things happen for a reason. That’s what I believe anyway.

PickleTree

Based at Fratton. Good luck to you going forward! As I’ve said a few times here and I’m sure you’re now aware of, if you don’t succeed, keep plugging away at it. In the South there are a few options so it’s not like it’s only FL out there. I applied for DB, Freightliner and GWR. I didn’t go for my present TOC at the time (SWR) deliberately as I would have had to retake all the assessments and risk being back at square one again. It’s about playing the game, and the fact that you have got this far when so many people apply, is an achievement in itself. 4,000 applied at the same time as me at Freightliner (so they said at DMI anyway), so I was happy in that respect. I’d have probably ended up going back to a TOC eventually anyway as Freight generally isn’t as friendly to family life (may work for some, but it’s generally more anti-social). All things happen for a reason. That’s what I believe anyway.

Thanks Stig - one question, I did put an application in for the SWR trainee driver at Bournemouth last week. You mention about resitting the tests, would it be the same for me? Hoped they might put me straight to DMI if I got through the initial sift.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stig - one question, I did put an application in for the SWR trainee driver at Bournemouth last week. You mention about resitting the tests, would it be the same for me? Hoped they might put me straight to DMI if I got through the initial sift.
If you’ve got current passes in the psychometric assessments then you should be okay. I only would have had to redo them because SWR will only use the results for 3-years, whereas GWR and Freightliner would allow them for 5 years. I say ‘should’ because I’ve heard of some TOCs making you resit them all regardless. Strangely, GWR being one, although they didn’t make me do so? I strongly believe you’re in a better position when applying for trainee driver roles if you have passed the assessments, although it’s a contentious subject here.

PickleTree

If you’ve got current passes in the psychometric assessments then you should be okay. I only would have had to redo them because SWR will only use the results for 3-years, whereas GWR and Freightliner would allow them for 5 years. I say ‘should’ because I’ve heard of some TOCs making you resit them all regardless. Strangely, GWR being one, although they didn’t make me do so? I strongly believe you’re in a better position when applying for trainee driver roles if you have passed the assessments, although it’s a contentious subject here.
Thanks Stig

Timpg

Congrats those have passed although you’ll all no doubt get jobs with other tocs / focs before you get anywhere with freightliner

I passed the tests in may 2018, passed managers interview late July, passed medical late September and was sent a letter stating I will be on the next course towards the end of 2018.... I then proceeded to hear absolutely nothing right up until October 2019. When they called to ask if I was still interested in their driving academy, Two weeks before I started with a TOC. I was an internal applicant!!!!

PickleTree

I passed the tests in may 2018, passed managers interview late July, passed medical late September and was sent a letter stating I will be on the next course towards the end of 2018.... I then proceeded to hear absolutely nothing right up until October 2019. When they called to ask if I was still interested in their driving academy, Two weeks before I started with a TOC. I was an internal applicant!!!!

Hmmm quite a number of you haven’t had the best experience with FL but then others did get on a course in a reasonable time. Just have to see what happens.

Timpg

Hmmm quite a number of you haven’t had the best experience with FL but then others did get on a course in a reasonable time. Just have to see what happens.

well the worse part about it was constantly being fobbed off! There was numerous coarses being held, and they even re-advertised the job in the time I was waiting, but I kept being told there was no space for me on any courses! It got to the point where I came to the understanding that I was being held back in my progression due to my depot being short staffed! In the end I had enough and started to look elsewhere. In my opinion.. there’s a silver lining to my story as I believe iv ended up in a better position to what freightliner could offer.

PickleTree

well the worse part about it was constantly being fobbed off! There was numerous coarses being held, and they even re-advertised the job in the time I was waiting, but I kept being told there was no space for me on any courses! It got to the point where I came to the understanding that I was being held back in my progression due to my depot being short staffed! In the end I had enough and started to look elsewhere. In my opinion.. there’s a silver lining to my story as I believe iv ended up in a better position to what freightliner could offer.

fair enough @Timpg, which TOC do you work for now?

Stigy

Established Member
I’m at GA mate, and honestly enjoying every minute of it, Iv got 4 more weeks of rules then should hopefully start my driving hours. Training has been great, really can’t fault them.
I have to echo this. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Every cloud and all that! It’s a big world out there and the railway is a massive industry. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket and even if you’re successful at the DMI stage, go keep your options open. I might not have applied to GWR had I been successful with Freightliner and this missed out. Knowing what I know now though, and following this thread, I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to just keep applying regardless. As for Talent Pools.....I think wherever you go it’s the same issue. Hit and miss. The same applies though, just keep applying. I have a friend who applied for GWR’s Reading pool at the same time as I applied for Fratton, and he was successful but hasn’t heard anything since. He’s now part way through driver training for SWR.

Glad your training is going well @Timpg! I’m 11-weeks in to my driving hours (not sure where the time has gone to be honest!) and loving it. I don’t want to go too far off topic, but I will just add this; You’ll have ups and downs (probably?), but never give up!

Last edited:

PickleTree

Glad it all worked out well in the end for you both, like you say applying to join the railways never seems to be easy or quick so I will remain positive and indeed not put all my eggs in one basket.

Timpg

I have to echo this. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Every cloud and all that! It’s a big world out there and the railway is a massive industry. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket and even if you’re successful at the DMI stage, go keep your options open. I might not have applied to GWR had I been successful with Freightliner and this missed out. Knowing what I know now though, and following this thread, I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to just keep applying regardless. As for Talent Pools.....I think wherever you go it’s the same issue. Hit and miss. The same applies though, just keep applying. I have a friend who applied for GWR’s Reading pool at the same time as I applied for Fratton, and he was successful but hasn’t heard anything since. He’s now part way through driver training for SWR.

Glad your training is going well @Timpg! I’m 11-weeks in to my driving hours (not sure where the time has gone to be honest!) and loving it. I don’t want to go too far off topic, but I will just add this; You’ll have ups and downs (probably?), but never give up!

cheers stigy! I suppose I do have freightliner to thank for putting me through the tests. I’m also doubly lucky that freightliner had only just decided to opt for enhanced pass marks when I did my tests, they previously accepted standard. Otherwise I may not be in the position I am today.
But yes I totally agree with what your saying and I can’t recommend more, that advice to others. You can’t never know how long you will be held in a talent pool, and even if it will eventually end in a job or not.
I had all my local FOC/TOC career webpages saved in my internet tabs and checked them twice Daily, then one day... boom.. there it was lol!!

Cheers mate, good to hear you’re doing well too! I’m literally buzzing to get out there and start driving, yea I think iv already had some of them days just doing the rules hahaaa!!!

Stigy

Established Member
cheers stigy! I suppose I do have freightliner to thank for putting me through the tests. I’m also doubly lucky that freightliner had only just decided to opt for enhanced pass marks when I did my tests, they previously accepted standard. Otherwise I may not be in the position I am today.
But yes I totally agree with what your saying and I can’t recommend more, that advice to others. You can’t never know how long you will be held in a talent pool, and even if it will eventually end in a job or not.
I had all my local FOC/TOC career webpages saved in my internet tabs and checked them twice Daily, then one day... boom.. there it was lol!!

Cheers mate, good to hear you’re doing well too! I’m literally buzzing to get out there and start driving, yea I think iv already had some of them days just doing the rules hahaaa!!!
Yeah, the rules are intense....I reckon most people have those days haha. It’s a long road even once recruited. I certainly can’t wait to be passed out either, I’ve never done so many assessments :)

choochoochoo

Established Member
Failed my MMI. Feedback a bit infuriating.

Does anyone know if anybody's ever challenged an MMI result?

I know you're not the only one. I know of a few candidates who feel their MMIs weren't exactly fair.

One candidate I spoke to said the interviewer at the OPC decided to use a situation from a previous question of the six for the situation for another of the six even though the candidate had submitted a different situation on their written sheet at the start of the day. And then didn't even let them use that example even though they 'failed' them on that question.

eg. made them use the situation from 'following rules' question for their response to 'role similar to train driver' question even though the candidate had wrote down different situation.

Which is fair enough. But when they then don't answer that satisfactorily, it's a bit unfair they don't let them resort to their planned example.

chartsengrafs

I am not sure, what has made you feel infuriated?

I was told I failed on the quality of my verbal communication. I've been a teacher for seventeen years, so that was annoying to begin with, but the feedback really dwelled on me asking for questions to be repeated too many times.

My assessor was ill. Apologised from the outset if they [mumble mumble]. Yawned, stretched, stared in to the middle distance the whole time. I asked for questions to be repeated because they were pretty much whispered. None of which was helped by the window being open and there being constant traffic noise. I gave up asking for repeats in the end as they were invariably as inaudible as the original question.

I said this on the phone and was told I should have mentioned it at the time. The guy had already told me he was ill, what was I supposed to do, ask for another assessor?

PickleTree

We were told before our MMI’s that this could happen and to prepare to use another example for any of the 6 as they may feel the example you provided was not suitable.

I agree however that it would be unfair should you not be made aware of this beforehand.

choochoochoo

Established Member
We were told before our MMI’s that this could happen and to prepare to use another example for any of the 6 as they may feel the example you provided was not suitable.

I agree however that it would be unfair should you not be made aware of this beforehand.

I wouldn't see it as unfair to be asked for another example, but do see it as unfair to be dictated to as to what to use as an example.

Laks

Morning ladies and gentleman, did anybody here sit their 2nd assesments I.e the computer tests and MMI on Thursday 16th at the OPC in Watford with me ?

Just checking as I'm still waiting for an email to see if i passed the MMI.

Tommy.

Yes, I sat the 2nd assessment on Thursday too, I got my results the day after though

PickleTree

Morning ladies and gentleman, did anybody here sit their 2nd assesments I.e the computer tests and MMI on Thursday 16th at the OPC in Watford with me ?

Tommy.

I was going to say I found out 2 days after my MMI my results so it might be worth chasing them.

Jamiey100

Tommy.
Hi Mate,

Also sat Stage 2 on the 16th and found out I’d passed 2 days after.

Email came from OPC who advised that they will then pass my details to Freightliner.

Network2020

Afternoon all

I had my final interview in the Freightliner London office mid December and was told I’ll hear of a start date for tilbury by the end of December.

I have not heard a thing since then even after chasing them up with an email?

Anyone know if there are any planned start dates for tilbury?

PickleTree

Good news, I passed !

For some reason I never recieved the original email but they've just resent it and it was good news. Has anybody else on here applied for Ipswich depot ?
Well done mate! Not me I have applied for Eastleigh. Now I think we have to be prepared for the long wait reading between the lines on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.