• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demps

i have always wondered why the freightliner hauled container trains go from felixstowe all the way up to scotland, it does seem a long way to travel to unload containers which are going to be moved individually anyway. The latter obviously being wrong and apparent when someone explains this route. I only knnow that it goes to scotland becuase it passes carlsile, anything else i have not bothered to look up so can you help on this general topic ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Demps,

Felixstowe is the largest deep-water port in the UK and the most suited to handling container freight traffic. Shipping directly to Scotland, where a proportion of the container freight traffic is obviously headed for, would mean that the shipping company couldn't operate such large ships offering the economies of scale that they do. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Felixstowe handled more container freight traffic than any other port in the UK, and by some margin.

It also makes sense for the onward journey to be completed by rail. Imagine how many more lorries there would be on the UK's roads otherwise.

one TN

Established Member
As this looks like a Freightliner can thread,
There might be lots of 4L81s etc allocated etc, but only cans north of Crewe, skodas or sheds south. Only 4L92 Ditton-Tilbury which returns as 4S83 Tilbury-Ditton are (booked) daytime cans south of Crewe. Plus 501 which works skoda diagrams.

I think Felixstowe is the largest UK container port, certainly takes some amount of containers. Doesnt compare to Rotterdam though.....

LucaZone

Firstly - Isnt a Skoda a Class 91?

Secondly, what about Thamesport? thats pretty big. Though being further south I guess it isnt factored in as much for northern bound containers.

AlexS

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Firstly - Isnt a Skoda a Class 91?

Secondly, what about Thamesport? thats pretty big. Though being further south I guess it isnt factored in as much for northern bound containers.

Skoda = 90 Super Skoda = 91 - both referring to the original horrendous reliability rate, which has largely been sorted on the 91s, but not so much on the 90s (particularly the One versions).

O L Leigh

Established Member
AlexS said:
Skoda = 90 Super Skoda = 91 - both referring to the original horrendous reliability rate, which has largely been sorted on the 91s, but not so much on the 90s (particularly the One versions).

Hi Chap,

'one's' Cl90's are operating much more reliably due to improvements to the maintenance regime and technical tweaks to the locos themselves. However, it seems that no-one is ever interested in good news, and so their reputation for unreliability appears likely to stick.

one TN

AlexS

Established Member
Are Crown Point finally getting somewhere with them then! A question though, why are they being sent to Crewe for F exams by EWS? Surely doing them at Willesden or wherever would be more sensible since it's closer!

Demps

thanks guys, i hear GB railfreight has now got a contract for intermodals with felixstowe. Oh and while we are on the subject, i have never knwo a nickname for a 92, seen as though they are the most powerful the in the britich fleet you would have thought there would a be nick, or is me thats being living under a rock ?

ikar

Demps said:
thanks guys, i hear GB railfreight has now got a contract for intermodals with felixstowe. Oh and while we are on the subject, i have never knwo a nickname for a 92, seen as though they are the most powerful the in the britich fleet you would have thought there would a be nick, or is me thats being living under a rock ?

Dysons they are called.

Nick W

Established Member
one TN said:
Hi Chap,

'one's' Cl90's are operating much more reliably due to improvements to the maintenance regime and technical tweaks to the locos themselves. However, it seems that no-one is ever interested in good news, and so their reputation for unreliability appears likely to stick.

one TN

Very true, I've only had one incident of class 90 failing casuing delay in 2006 (compared to several last year).

But for me the reputation will take as long to be lost as it took to be gained.

Talking about Felixstowe port, the A14 is already very busy at times, so I doubt the roads would cope if the rail traffic was transfered. Sadly the line is only single track so limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.