• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

French train crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I would like to offer my condonences to the reletives of the dead. Doesn't really matter what may or may not have caused it at this moment in time...

Nick W

Established Member
I would like to offer my condolences to the families and friends of thos unfortunate poepole involved in the tragic accident, and to those railway workers who worked with or knew those lost.

I would also like to wish that those working on signalling and engineering in that area will be able to recover quickly and enjoy the rest of their lives.

I hope that something will be gained out of this, even if it's back to pilot people, so that this will not be a complete loss.

Nick W

Established Member
Unfortunate and I imagine honest mistake then. I hope the poor signallmen aren't suffering too much,

bi-directional working is also used for regulating purposes
I think after Quintishill we learnt that paying extra for loops is a better idea. I hope something good can be learnt from this accident.

Respite

Pilot working? That's really open to error and incredibly dangerous if the people are involved do not follow the rules.

Well all moves on the railway are dangerous if the rules are not followed,thats why the rules are there! Pilot working is not dangerous whatsoever because people involved with it are using the rule book.Personally I have put pilot working in operation more than twenty times as a signalman,as an ops manager I've been a pilotman at least ten times & been piloted as a driver three times so far. Bi-Di's on the other hand are just a waste of space,mostly the only time you need them is during a system fault on the correct line,but that in turn has already knackered the Bi-Di's system as well nine times out of ten.

Nick W

Established Member
Bi-Di's on the other hand are just a waste of space,mostly the only time you need them is during a system fault on the correct line,but that in turn has already knackered the Bi-Di's system as well nine times out of ten.

There are cases when Bi-Di has allowed a tain to overtake a failed train, and i've experienced one.

I wish the GEML was bi-di between Colchester and Ipswich where many times a broken down train hasn't been overtakable due to lack of bi-di north of chitts hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.