• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

French Train Strike advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

squizzler

Established Member
what is the current strike situation? Is an end in sight?
On Monday 28 May I went from St Malo to Paris (TGV) and from Paris to Zurich (TGV Lyria) no problems. If you have cause to take the train I say go for it. Of course if you are a belligerent so-and-so like me the strike is good cause to make extra effort to support SNCF with your cash rather than an alternative mode!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If I have understood the French TV news this morning the strike is turning into an all-out on the 28th June...

Veteran Member
If I have understood the French TV news this morning the strike is turning into an all-out on the 28th June...

A day of action across the (unionised) board - which apart from any other effects might increase the number of SNCF staff not working.
The rail unions have said they are considering further strikes after then.

Established Member
According to BBC News, French MPs have backed the rail reforms, 452 to 80. I can't see the strikes finishing any time soon...

squizzler

Established Member
According to BBC News, French MPs have backed the rail reforms, 452 to 80. I can't see the strikes finishing any time soon...
I would say the opposite: the strikes failed to deter the government from voting to reform SNCF. Now it is done, what would more train strikes achieve? Surely more sensible to shift the resources into the next battle to oppose the government in the whatever public sector work is next in line for reform?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A comment piece in tonight’s evening standard suggested that public support for the strikes was falling, and that the number of ‘Cheminots’ reporting for work was increasing.

If there was a book on this at Ladbrokes, my money would be on Macron wining this one.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A comment piece in tonight’s evening standard suggested that public support for the strikes was falling, and that the number of ‘Cheminots’ reporting for work was increasing.

If there was a book on this at Ladbrokes, my money would be on Macron wining this one.
Yes, there was quite a bit running on Wednesday this week.

daikilo

Established Member
What was agreed by both houses of the French Parlement was the economic structure of the SNCF and the introduction of Private operators (an EU obligation). From what I have heard, competition with TGVs will be along the Italian lines (Italo) whilst the rest will be by sole-operator franchises.

What was not tabled is the content of the future employment contracts (covered by the 'convention collective'). There are multi-partite meetings on that today. The strikes are not over yet.

Last edited:

squizzler

Established Member
What was agreed by both houses of the French Parlement was the economic structure of the SNCF and the introduction of Private operators (an EU obligation). From what I have heard, competition with TGVs will be along the Italian lines (Italo) whilst the rest will be by sole-operator franchises.

I presume the sole operator franchises are the current TER regions getting to choose their operator. My opinion is that it is a good arrangement because the French waited so long they can pick the best of what has gone before (UK style franchising, but done better local management I daresay like the new Welsh setup plus Italian style high speed on rail competition) that will do a lot to make French rail travel more attractive.

I wonder who owns / will own the stock? Will there be ROSCO's like in the UK or will the TER regions own their regional trains? Will the high speed fleet be pooled to lower the barriers for entry for open access operators?

I am also interested to know if the new arrangement will benefit the stations. The French stations, particularly the Paris termini which you might think would be maintained to a standard representing status as gateways to the mighty Grand Lignes and LGV, are often quite minging.

RichJF

Yes, there was quite a bit running on Wednesday this week.
I was in Paris on weds & Thurs. On weds most of the RER was running every 10 mins. It was busy but a lot of services were indeed running.
Transilien (SNCF) were also running but more sparse.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
RER Line A would be running a full service as that is RATP, not SNCF.

Some of the other lines are shared between RATP and SNCF which can complicate things!

k-c-p

Yesterday the four unions met to discuss further action.

Unions UNSA (number two of the SNCF unions) and CFDT will leave the strike front and will not continue after June 28, when the last round of the current strike will take place.

Unions CGT (number one of the SNCF unions) and Sud Rail have announced that they will call for strike actions in July and August. There will be no preset timetable, so the present "2 days of strike every 3 days" regime will end of June. By French law "spontaneous" require 48h notice, so the SNCF and its passengers get some heads up. But these strike will hit families going on vacation.

If you are planning to go to France this summer: flexibilty, will be a key virtue :).

daikilo

Established Member
At least the CGT has apparently said that they will consider not striking if real progress is made with the negotiations and may fix strike days as a function of negotiation days to up the pressure. I am looking for any information on the planned negotiation days in July.

daikilo

Established Member
CGT and Sud are saying they will strike on 6-7 July but have not formally notified as I understand. It is the first weekend of the national school holidays which will lose them any remaining support from rail travellers.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
TER rolling stock is owned by the regions.

My understanding is that the regions have to buy trains via SNCF, who have large long-term frame agreements with Alstom and Bombardier for French-built trains.
That is intended to change under EU procurement rules, with the regions choosing their TOC and trains, but it will take some time to make the transition.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Here's a calendar of the strike days:
Blue is when rail workers are meant to strike and red is for when Air France staff are due to walk-out.
1522073624_Strikes.calendar..jpg

I cannot seem to find a calender for July onwards anywhere. Again the question: What is the current strike status?
Martin

daikilo

Established Member
I cannot seem to find a calender for July onwards anywhere. Again the question: What is the current strike status?
Martin

Per my post a few above this, 2 unions (CGT and Sud) say they intend to continue strikes in the summer. They have said the next will be on 6-7 July and this now appears on the
SNCF site. As far as I know, they have not yet announced any other dates.

I think the intention behind SCNF use of the word "punctual" is to suggest "one-off" as opposed to a "series". This does not mean that there won't be others.

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
"punctual" is a poor translation of the French "ponctuel", which in this context means "local/localised", i.e. at a point in space, as opposed to the meaning of at a point in time.
Or "one-off", i.e. at that particular point in time, as opposed to at a pre-arranged point in time

daikilo

Established Member
"punctual" is a poor translation of the French "ponctuel", which in this context means "local/localised", i.e. at a point in space, as opposed to the meaning of at a point in time.
Or "one-off", i.e. at that particular point in time, as opposed to at a pre-arranged point in time

To avoid any risk of confusion, the union announcement refers to dates and not to any specific locations (although it is reasonable to assume that individual depots and services could be affected differently). SNCF are guaranteeing that any train which is reservable will run.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Keeping a very close eye on this as I'm in France for a few days in about two weeks, ambling from Nice to Lyon, Toulouse and eventually Hendaye.

I'm at least hoping they don't completely wipe out my 4 day stay even if there's a day of action.

daikilo

Established Member
According to france Inter radio this morning, the unions are planning to strike again on 19th July.

SNCF predicts that on average 65-80% of trains will run today depending on the sector. I am expecting much media attention.

daikilo

Established Member
According to media reports, only members of the CGT union are actually on strike today and with a minor impact on services except in South-West France. Apparently the union has said the next strike will be on 27th July which they say is a day planned for negotiations.

As far as I can see, there is nothing on the oui.sncf website.

Status
Not open for further replies.