• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frequency of TOC staff visits to unstaffed stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
From reading a blogpost on a forum user about their recent visit to Duirinish (ticking off stations with ORR usage of <1000) and seeing a Scotrail employee do some maintenance there, I wonder what the regime is for TOCs (Not NR orange army) to visit their unstaffed stations, in particular more off-beat ones such as Havenhouse, Ardwick, Altnabreac and my new-ish local, Bryn.

I wish to also ignore those sub-contracted to perform revenue blocks etc...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Where I work, North of the Border some unstaffed stations are visited daily by Station Staff on service trains as part of their shift for light cleans-litter picks, wiping spit off shelters, light graffiti removal, testing station help points, lights etc and on a rota basis by Heavy Duty Cleaning Squad in equpped vans for a heavy clean, leaf blowing, grass cutting, weedkilling etc, other stations are visitied everyday by Heavy Duty Cleaning Squads in the van. Just depends on the location.

Last edited:
From reading a blogpost on a forum user about their recent visit to Duirinish (ticking off stations with ORR usage of <1000) and seeing a Scotrail employee do some maintenance there, I wonder what the regime is for TOCs (Not NR orange army) to visit their unstaffed stations, in particular more off-beat ones such as Havenhouse, Ardwick, Altnabreac and my new-ish local, Bryn.

I wish to also ignore those sub-contracted to perform revenue blocks etc...

I used to use Patricroft station in the 90s and I have seen a fella with a jet washer cleaning the waiting hut. I have also seen a fella at Kearsley station checking for vegetation and picking up litter/replacing timetables. I am not so sure how often they visit, Maybe a complaint gets made and then a person turns up to check everything is okay.

Kite159

Veteran Member
When I visited Lochluichart (Kyle line) a couple years ago, there was a ScotRail branded van with a gentleman (no idea if employed directly or was a contractor) to empty the bins etc.

I would imagine those sort of stations are visited weekly unless the rare user complains

Esker-pades

Established Member
When I visited Lochluichart (Kyle line) a couple years ago, there was a ScotRail branded van with a gentleman (no idea if employed directly or was a contractor) to empty the bins etc.

I would imagine those sort of stations are visited weekly unless the rare user complains

I think weekly would be rather frequent for somewhere like Lochluichart (or indeed Duirinish).

6Gman

Established Member
Judging by the age of the information when I visited I fear Burscough Bridge maintenance cycle is measured in years, not days or weeks.

LowLevel

Established Member
Where I am Station Support Teams tour unmanned stations roughly weekly updating engineering posters, doing the bins etc and artisans can be ordered if required to do heavier or more skilled work.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Where I am Station Support Teams tour unmanned stations roughly weekly updating engineering posters, doing the bins etc and artisans can be ordered if required to do heavier or more skilled work.

Seems to be the same on our line. Plus they are good at responding to reports of graffiti or damage.

tsr

Established Member
At least weekly visits on my patch - plus ad hoc visits from the same station maintenance teams when they are doing bigger jobs such as painting, shelter repairs or checking on stores. Generally, they visit in a van, due to the need to convey tools and materials.

Then every 6 months or so, a local manager will make a specific visit to assess any changes to prevailing hazards and passenger needs.

There are also maintenance activities from time to time which are virtually always carried out by contractors. TVM repairs and lighting checks, to name two.

In between times, unstaffed stations do, of course, get a programme of security checks which will generally go unnoticed by the public, plus higher dispatch risk locations will see unobtrusive monitoring of dispatch activities. Then there are places where it’s convenient for people like travelling fitters to change between services, so you may get them visiting.

Journeyman

Established Member
I visited Teesside Airport in January, now served only once a week with one train in one direction on a Sunday. It had been snowing heavily, and I was surprised when I arrived to find both platforms (including the one now not served by any trains) neatly cleared of snow. When I say neatly, it was exactly the same length and width cleared on both sides, with ruler-straight edges! I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member
I visited Teesside Airport in January, now served only once a week with one train in one direction on a Sunday. It had been snowing heavily, and I was surprised when I arrived to find both platforms (including the one now not served by any trains) neatly cleared of snow. When I say neatly, it looked like someone with OCD had done it. Exactly the same length and width cleared on both sides, with ruler-straight edges! I was quite pleasantly surprised.

That was exactly how I found it in March (minus the tedious and inacurrate comment about OCD).

Esker-pades

Established Member
I visited Teesside Airport in January, now served only once a week with one train in one direction on a Sunday. It had been snowing heavily, and I was surprised when I arrived to find both platforms (including the one now not served by any trains) neatly cleared of snow. When I say neatly, it was exactly the same length and width cleared on both sides, with ruler-straight edges! I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Whoever it was certainly put in more effort than whoever's job it is to clear the road to the station.

Journeyman

Established Member
Whoever it was certainly put in more effort than whoever's job it is to clear the road to the station.

When I was there, that was neatly shovelled clear as well! Whoever was there was clearly bored and looking for something to do. :)

Stagecoach22

All scotrail unmanned stations are visited daily from station staff for a check/clean as part of franchise agreement from transport scotland

Stagecoach22

What, even Altnabreac and other very remote stations? Even Barry Links which sees 1 passenger per week?
Yes, they get audited randomly by transport scotland every month and could have bird droppings on a bench meaning the station fails and scotrail gets fined.

Status
Not open for further replies.