• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

Below is a list of Questions and Answers that pop-up almost every week without fail on one forum or another.

Q: My Route Doesn't Appear in Trainsim!

A: You need to check for 'paths', this can be done by going into your route directory and looking for a directory called: 'PATHS'. If this has no .PAT files, you need to into Editors & Tools and create one.

Q:'Train World Initialization Error' What?!

A: This is a common one, but can happen for a number of reasons, the two most common are:
  • You need to run an MSDOS prompt file called 'installme.bat' The error is cause because there are no 'Enviroment Files'.
  • Your PCV may not be able to handle the demands placed on it, routes like the Severn Valley Railway by BluearrowTS Use a very high number of files, and are prone to crashing even the most stable of computers.

Q: I can't uncouple in reverse.

A: This is a fairly easy one to solve, uncouple, but dont shoot off, just crawl very slowly for a few feet, then you can speed up. :)

Q: My Brakes apply themselves?!

A: You will be running low on pressure, although only Vacuum brakes cause this, and only on steam locos, you will need to build steam up again to above 105 Psi. But you can create less of a Vacuum before then.

Q: 'Fusible Plugs Melted'

A: Whoops! You've allowed the boiler water level to get too low! You'll have to re-start.

Q: Train Sim Runs slowly, then speeds up?!

A: There are 2 main reasons, one is that you are about to enter a new tiles, meaning MSTS has to build the tile while running. Another reason is Scenery Density, you may go from a Dense area to a Desert, or back.

I hope these help :)

Edit (TB): I've stickied this

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Angus

I would have thought that would be a cause for celebration! :D
Only joking, I'm not sure why that's happened. Is the Europe1 folder still in your MSTS/routes or has it been deleted?

Coxster

Established Member

cawky

thamks for those FAQ's but What about using the Raildriver, is there a way to use that instead of the keyboard, i have installed the drivers from the cd i got with it and then what do i need to to MSTS to change it to raildriver use

Tom B

Established Member
Forced to move to Doncaster... you poor thing!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The new patch enabling dual cab operation, and night/day cab switching in tunnels and at sunrise and sunset is available from http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/eng.html

Follow the instructions to install the patch, once you have done so, follow the steps below.

To enable this to work with the items of stock you have downloaded, you must edit a number of things, firstly we will begin with the night cab.

1) Open up your Microsoft Games/Train Sim/TRAINS/TRAINSET folder
2) Open up the item of rolling stock you wish to edit, for the purposes of this tutorial we shall use the Class 101 unit which comes with the Cambrian Coast pack, so we would open up the '3DTS_101_GREEN' folder.
3) Open up the CABVIEW folder.
4) Create a new folder called 'NIGHT'
5) Search for any .ACE file which contains the word 'night', or similar, and place these in the 'NIGHT' folder
6) Go into the 'NIGHT' folder and remove the 'night', or similar, in the filename, so that it represents the non-night time .ACE file,

EG Daytime filename = 3DTS_DMUleft1024
Nightime filename = 3DTS_DMUleft1024_night
Remove the '_night' from the Nighttime filename after you have placed it in the 'NIGHT' folder.

Once you have done that, your cabview should succesfully change from day time to night time mode (and vice-versa) when entering tunnels, at Sunset, and Sunrise.

Now, you might want the dual cab mode that is included in the patch, so follow these steps to achieve this, we will use the same Trainset folder again, which is the '3DTS_101_GREEN' folder.

1) Go into the 'CABVIEW' folder
2) Search for the .cvf file you wish to edit, this will normally be the daytime version if there are more than two, for this train is is the '3DTSDMU101.CVF' file.
3) Open this in notepad

Below is what you should see once you have opened this up,
Code:
SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0h0t______

Tr_CabViewFile (
    CabViewType ( 2 )
    CabViewFile ( 3DTS_DMUfront1024.ace )
    CabViewWindow ( 0 0 640 480 )
    CabViewWindowFile ( ../../KIHA31/CABVIEW/AcWndFrn.ace )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Direction ( 15.04 9.03 -0.28 )
    CabViewFile ( 3DTS_DMUleft1024.ace )
    CabViewWindowFile ( ../../KIHA31/CABVIEW/AcWndLft.ace )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Direction ( -2.2 -57.85 0 )
    CabViewFile ( 3DTS_DMUright1024.ace )
    CabViewWindowFile ( ../../KIHA31/CABVIEW/AcWndRgt.ace )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Direction ( 9.05 54.03 0 )    

EngineData ( 3dts_101dtlcM_green )
    CabViewControls ( 12
        TriState (
            Type ( DIRECTION TRI_STATE )
            Position ( 422 340 128 64 )
            Graphic ( 3dtsDMUreverser.ACE )
            NumFrames ( 8 2 4 )
            Style ( NONE )
            MouseControl ( 1 )
            Orientation ( 1 )
            DirIncrease ( 1 )
4) We will need to add a few things to this, it's 6 simple lines of code, they will be coloured blue for your conveniance in locating them within the file.

5) Above the 'EngineData ( 3dts_101dtlcM_green )' you will need to add 6 lines of code.

These will be the 'Position ( -1 3.5 7 )' and 'Direction ( 9.05 54.03 0 )' of which there are three of each located just below the 'CabViewWindowFile' line.

CabViewType ( 2 )
Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

Add these lines just above the 'EngineData ( 3dts_101dtlcM_green )', you may wish to leave a space above and below where you are adding these lines so that you can read the file more easily.

So it should look like this.

Code:
SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0h0t______

Tr_CabViewFile (
    CabViewType ( 2 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

So that's those lines added in, but we still need to edit the file some more, this is where you need a few maths skills to ensure things dont go wrong! That or a calculator.

6) On the 'Position' line you have three seperate numbers, I have coloured these Red, Green and Blue. You have the same on the 'Direction' line, once again coloured Red, Green and Blue.

Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

On the 'Position' line you will need to edit the RED and BLUE numbers, what you need to do here, is reverse them. By this I mean if the RED NUMBER IS -1 then you change it to equal 1, you reverse it from negative, to positive. You do the same for the BLUE NUMBER, however, the BLUE NUMBER is a positive number already, 7, so we need to change this from positive to negative by adding a minus sign infront of it, so it looks like this. -7.

On the position line, you must leave the 'GREEN' number alone.

Your new 'Position' line should look something like this.

Position ( 1 3.5 -7 )

7) Now we will move onto the direction line. You have three numbers on the 'Direction' line, once again coloured Red, Green and Blue.

On this line you leave the RED and BLUE entrys alone, do not edit these. Instead, we edit the GREEN entry, this is a very simple edit, all we need do, is add 150 to the number already there. So for example if the number is '10', we add '180' to it, and we have '190', if the number is '-75', we add '150' to it, and we get '-255'.

The number in this line is '9.03', so all we need do, is add 180 to this number.

Your new line of code should look something like this.

Direction ( 15.04 189.03 -0.28 )

8) Now repeat this steps 6 and 7 for the other four lines of code underneath.

Your finished line of code should look something like this.

Code:
Tr_CabViewFile (
    CabViewType ( 2 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )
    Position ( -1 3.5 7 )

[COLOR=blue]    Position ( 1 3.5 -7 )
    Direction ( 15.04 189.03 -0.28 )
    Position ( 1 3.5 -7 )
    Direction ( -2.2 -237.85 0 )
    Position ( 1 3.5 -7 )
    Direction ( 9.05 234.03 0 )[/COLOR]

Now, there is one final thing we need to do, if you are running a consist with more than one driving position, you will need to go into the consist file and edit a line of data. This is another very simple thing to do.

1) Navigate your way back to the \Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\TRAINS folder.
2) Open up the \CONSISTS folder
3) Search for the appropriate consist you wish to edit, the one I have chosen is the '3dts_green101_aber.CON' file. Open this in notepad.
4) You should have a very small area of code, similar to what is shown below.

Code:
SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Train (
    TrainCfg ( 3DTS_GREEN101_ABER
        Serial ( 2 )
        MaxVelocity ( 31.29280 0.93333 )
        NextWagonUID ( 2 )
        Durability ( 1.00000 )
        Engine (
            UiD ( 0 )
            EngineData ( 3dts_101dtlcP_green 3DTS_101_GREEN )
        )
        Engine (
            UiD ( 1 )
            EngineData ( 3dts_101dmbs_green 3DTS_101_GREEN )
        )
    )
)
5) You will need to edit the 'NextWagonUID ( # )' entry, all you need do is add 100, so if it says '2' then you edit it to '102', if it says 50, then you edit it to '150', if it says '-7', you edit it to '-107', simple, isnt it.

The line which you must edit is highlighted in blue

NextWagonUID ( 2 )
Durability ( 1.00000 )

Once you have change it, it should look something similar to what is shown below.

NextWagonUID ( 102 )
Durability ( 1.00000 )

And that is all there is to it.

If you have any questions or problems feel free to drop me a Private Message.

Jamie.

Coxster

Established Member
Cheers for that Jamie - will give it a go!

Post Stickyfied!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
And for those who find it difficult to understand in my general "Read it and weep" style writing format. Coxster has kindly edited it into a more user friendly format and plonked it on his site. It's available here.

blackthunder

does anybody know if trains run on drive a train option on msts
cause u can get them on the missions but not on explore route
is there anyway i can get them to run on that particular acitivty?

mbonwick

Established Member
Sorry, I can't understand what you mean.

You can drive any train nad consist in explore route mode, but only predefined ones in activities.

DJC_158

im not sure if im following it right either but it could be that Blackthunder is refering to the AI trains passing etc

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Right, lets try and re-word this:

does anybody know if the AI trains run on drive a train option on MSTS,
because you can get them on the activities but not on explore route.
Is there a way i can get them to run on that particular activity?

If that is what you meant, then unfortunately you can only have the traffic in Activities. In explore mode, it is just you, no other trains. You can set up an activity if you want passing trains.

cheers,

James.

scottm

This STILL dosen't tell me how to unininstall add-ons! :(

open your 'routes' folder within Program Files > Microsoft Games > MSTS and delete the folder of the route you no longer want. The stock will remain in place though as it stored in the 'trainset' folder.

Reddog785

open your 'routes' folder within Program Files > Microsoft Games > MSTS and delete the folder of the route you no longer want. The stock will remain in place though as it stored in the 'trainset' folder.

It's the trains I need to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.