• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

From Glasgow to London in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

kori

Hello,
I'm planning on taking a train from Glasgow to London, one way, on July 9, with my boyfriend. We strongly prefer to get to London in time for dinner, and not late in the evening. I can only find ridiculously expansive tickets (starting at 104 GBP per person).

I'm not from the UK, so I don't know the logic of the pricing (or is it just expansive?). Is there an advice you can give me on finding better priced tickets? Where should I buy them from?

If it's helpful in some way, I'm a student. I'm 30 and my boyfriend is 29.

Many thanks in advance!
Kori

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There seems to be issues with the National Reservation System tonight so booking engines seem unable to book cheap Advance fares as they require reservations and you will be tied to one specific train.

Might be worth trying again in the morning.

rail-britain

Established Member
I'm planning on taking a train from Glasgow to London, one way, on July 9, with my boyfriend. We strongly prefer to get to London in time for dinner, and not late in the evening. I can only find ridiculously expansive tickets (starting at 104 GBP per person).

I'm not from the UK, so I don't know the logic of the pricing (or is it just expansive?). Is there an advice you can give me on finding better priced tickets? Where should I buy them from?
When were you checking and on what website?
See below, the advance tickets and reservations may not be available

The pricing is based on time of travel
From Glasgow, try to avoid travelling before 08:00 as these are classed as peak journeys

From Glasgow you may find the best deals at eastcoast.co.uk which may include a discount when travelling via York
Most people book using virgintrains.co.uk as this is the operator via Preston

There seems to be issues with the National Reservation System tonight
Yes, details were available for the last few days
Advance tickets and Seat Reservations will be temporarily unavailable to purchase online from 23:00 on Saturday 16 June until 05:00 Sunday 17 June

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As you are a student you may be eligible for a 16 - 25 Railcard? if you fulfill certain criteria see here for further details.

This will knock a further 34% off the above quoted fares for you. Please note that your nationality is immaterial but you have to be registered as studying at a UK educational establishment.

rail-britain

Established Member
I can only find ridiculously expansive tickets (starting at 104 GBP per person)
I am wondering if the website (interface) you used had the total which came to £104, for two passengers, and you have misunderstood this

sonic2009

Established Member
I suggested flying only as an alternative, I would never suggest DodgyAir (Ryanair) to anyone. It's all dependant on where the OP actually resides in Glasgow, for example if the OP lived closer to Edinburgh i would suggest travelling via the East Coast Main Line.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I suggested flying only as an alternative, I would never suggest DodgyAir (Ryanair) to anyone.

True, I have even used Easyjet on occasion, esp. if I've a connecting flight from London. (Keep this quiet though).

It's all dependant on where the OP actually resides in Glasgow, for example if the OP lived closer to Edinburgh i would suggest travelling via the East Coast Main Line.

I see lots of connecting passengers from Glasgow to London KX (and many other East Coast destinations) on the E&G services on a daily basis. According to DaFT there is no longer a demand for this since the improvement of the WCM. My anecdotal evidence proves otherwise. We all know this however.

rail-britain

Established Member
I see lots of connecting passengers from Glasgow to London KX (and many other East Coast destinations) on the E&G services on a daily basis. According to DaFT there is no longer a demand for this since the improvement of the WCM
How else is a passenger supposed to get to Darlington, York, Doncaster, and so on?
Although I would agree the demand has dramatically fallen, but has since increased with the reduction in direct services (to Kings Cross)
Looks like either a bit of misunderstanding in the documentation or not being aware of the route options
Equally, when travelling between the West of Scotland and the East Coast, leaving from Glasgow QS was the traditional station, and even now people are not aware of the direct services from Glasgow Central serving Darlington to York

cuccir

Established Member
To kori:

The booking systems are now working again.

'Walk-on' tickets in the UK can be very expensive. You can save by buying 'Advance' tickets. These are much cheaper, but you have to use the booked train - if you miss that train, then you will not be able to use a later one and will have to buy a new ticket.

I would recommend buying from East Coast, as they have a fairly easy to use website, but you can buy the ticket from the website of most train companies in the UK. You can purchase now and select to collect your ticket from the ticket machines at in Glasgow.

The website shows Advance tickets available at around £52 per person - the £104 that you saw is the combined cost of the tickets. This fare is currently available on the 08:00, the 12:00 and the 12:40. These tickets will probably sell out, so if you want that price you should purchase as soon as possible. Note that the 08:00 and 12:00 both require changing at Crewe.

If you are willing to travel a bit later, you can get the 15:30 from Glasgow, and connect onto the 16:30 from Edinburgh. At the moment, that would cost you £42.50 per person (£95 in total) to travel first class. Although you'd get into London later (at 20:55), you would get free food in first class between Edinburgh and London.

If you are planning any other rail trips while you are in the UK, you might be better buying a BritRail pass

Last edited:

kori

Wow! Thanks a lot. So much helpful information!
Actually, right now I'm not sure if I misunderstood and took the price of two tickets for the price of one, or was it the booking system. In any case - I found the tickets I wanted, in a direct train, and arriving in London at 17:12. Thank you all so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.