• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

from heathrow to liverpool, from liverpool to Stowmarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeannie

I am coming from HK, need to go to Liverpool.

From Heathrow to Liverpool
I have searched from website, it seems that I need to change from rail to underground and to rail again. I wonder how to buy tickets. Would the ticket include the underground for change purpose ? Or do I need to buy separately?

From Liverpool to Stowmarket, Suffolk
We need to arrive in Stowmarket before 6 pm on June 30th. My daughter will stay and I shall head off to London. We are carrying luggage, which is cheapest and most convenient way we should go for the change.
Again, do I need to buy tube ticket separately for transit?

Thank you very much for your advice

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
When will you be arriving into Heathrow? A through ticket between Heathrow Rail and Liverpool may be expensive, but will include the underground.

If you can tell us when you will arrive into Heathrow we can find the best option for you.

John @ home

Established Member
Can I just check that you're travelling to and from Liverpool, the city in north-west England some 200 miles north of Heathrow, and not London Liverpool Street, the inter-city railway station in central London some 20 miles east of Heathrow, where train services to and from Stowmarket arrive and depart?

We've had one or two instances of these two locations being confused.

Veteran Member
More questions (assuming that Liverpool is indeed the destination, which seems likely from your post) which will help us find cheap fares.

Do you wish to commit to a specific train and day for London-Liverpool, or do you want a flexible ticket?
Is your daughter aged under 16?
Do you anticipate doing any other rail journeys together in the UK in the next year?

In terms of convenience with baggage, the journey from Liverpool to Stowmarket can be done with one change on the same platform at Peterborough or Ely, but it may be quicker and more comfortable via London, changing between Euston and Liverpool Street by tube or taxi.

jeannie

Thanks for your prompt response, just to clarify:

Liverpool refers to north west part of London.
Arriving on 6 am in the morning of June 26 at Heathrow, flexi ticket is preferred to prepare for flight delay.

Liverpool to Stowmarket is at our own cost so we are more cautious to find a cost effective one, June 30th arrived at Stowmarket before 6pm. My daughter aged 19. And I need to travel back to London on the same day.
To 30907. We have no plan to travel together for a rail journey after this one is the coming year.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
sorry, I mean Liverpool, the north west part of England, ( home of Beatles)

sonic2009

Established Member
So just to confirm, you are travelling yourself to Liverpool, North West England r and then from Liverpool to Stowmarket, and then back to London with your daughter?

Last edited:

Veteran Member
No, the OP is leaving her daughter in Stowmarket and travelling alone to London.

As she wisely wants a flexible ticket for the journey to Liverpool, I'd start with the following. SEE LATER POST AND IGNORE THIS.

1. Purchase a Two Together Railcard giving 34% discount on all travel from 09.30 onwards and at weekends. £30, passport photos required for both.

2. Discounted Offpeak return tickets London to Liverpool (valid to depart Euston 0926-1500, which allows for flight delays), £54.40 each, which covers Liverpool to Stowmarket as far as London.

3. Discounted Advance tickets for Liverpool Street to Stowmarket on the 1600 or 1630 departures, currently £11.10 each.

4. Undiscounted Advance for the OP Stowmarket to London for £9 on an evening train of their choice.

5. Oyster smartcards for cross London tube journeys.

6. Cheapest available prebooked Heathrow Express fares (14 day Advance?)

Note: booking an Offpeak return from Heathrow rather than Euston costs about £28 extra, but it would cover the tube outward.

Last edited:

jeannie

Sorry, my fault, I think I have caused confusion here, the group has arranged the trip from heathrow to liverpool already.

For simplicity,
my daughter aged 19, need to travel from Liverpool ( the one in north west England ) to Stowmarket.
I need to travel from Liverpool to Stowmarket and then back to London on the same day.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion caused.

Veteran Member
In that case, as you already have tickets for the journey to Liverpool, I'd suggest the following.

1. Buy online Advance tickets for Liverpool to Stowmarket. These are for specific trains and can't be used on any other UNLESS your train is delayed.
If you choose to travel via London a through ticket will cover the tube.

(Unfortunately, there is no Advance fare for a journey with one change at Peterborough as in my post #4. To go this way you would have to use two tickets each AND it would probably cost more anyway!)

2. If the fare offered is more than £45 each, consider purchasing a Two Together Railcard giving 34% discount on all travel from 09.30 onwards and at weekends. £30, passport photos required for both. If you can buy online now, it's not worth it though.

3. Advance ticket from Stowmarket to London for yourself on an evening train (same rules, cost from £9). If you can't commit to a specific train, it will cost you £40-odd.

In both cases, you might be able to save a little by "splitting" tickets en route, but I've gone for simplicity.

jeannie

thank you very much.

As I am not familiar with the rail n underground stations, esp when change is involved.

If I bought advance ticket but was not able to catch the connecting train,what will happen?
When I refer to the timetable shown on some websites, are the time shown for connection usually more than sufficient ?

thanks

Veteran Member
For the journey Liverpool to Stowmarket via London, if your train into London is delayed you are entitled to get the next available service from Liverpool Street. It is probably worth getting the delay confirmed by a member of staff at Euston before joining the tube.

There is ample time for the connection by tube.

Your journey from Stowmarket to London counts as a separate journey.
I therefore recommend allowing at least an hour before you return. As they are so cheap, you could even buy tickets for two different trains, including the last possible one you are content to use, and decide on the day which to take. It's quite in order!

Veteran Member
Just worth saying that there is no direct tube from Euston to Liverpool Street.

The journey planner says to take the Northern Line "via Bank" as far as Moorgate and then the Eastbound Hammersmith and City/Circle/Metropolitan line (all from one platform) for one stop to Liverpool St.

It also advises that there are escalator repairs at Euston which may cause congestion.
This might add a couple of minutes to your journey, but no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.