Front and rear lights on locos and MUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastiaan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

OK, pics 1 & 2, the rear tail lights are the dark round bulges on the bottom of the bodywork in each corner, above the buffers. In those days you didn't have headlights, health & safety in those days is not like it is now, so in pic 1 the headcode would be illuminated, pic 2, where the headcode used to be, you would have the 2 white dots illuminated. Pics 1 & 2 I believe are Class 81 & 83s respectively. Ok, pic 3 is a Class 310 EMU, & the same applies with the headcode I said in pic 1. The tail light is the little black blob on the left-hand side enclosure between the multiple-working cable. Pic 4, same again with the headcode, & the tail lights are the round things bottom of the front bodywork, above the buffers under the overhead live wire warning stickers. Hope this helps.

Mart

Bastiaan

Hmm, headcode used as frontlight... That's what I thought already, but I thought that would be very ridiculous :| But yet it's really true! :o
Thanks for your help :)

Turbostar

Yep, it's what it was like in those days. Like I said, Health & Safety wasn't an issue as such with reguards to headlights & tail-lights then as it is now.

Mart

The Gricer

My apologies, I can see now looking at the file names lol.

Mart
Well spotted! I hadn't noticed that either! :grin:
Mind you, the file is called 83035 which, as a number, never existed. There was only 15 of them numbered 83001 to 83015. But I'm drifting off topic now so I'll shut up!

Frank

Established Member
Quality power!!!
At least classes 81s, 85s and 86s were fitted with marker lights when the headcode panels were removed. 82s as well i believe, the 84s were withdrawn early and the 83s kept their headcode boxes even when 83012 was in Intercity colours for ECS workings.

Status
Not open for further replies.