• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fry up at Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denzo

Hi everyone,

Got an early start at King’s Cross on Friday, 8am up to Edinburgh to spend Christmas with the in laws and Boxing Day with my folks.

In order to fuel myself for the long journey I’m going to need a full English in my belly.

Is there a spoons or something at the station that can provide this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hi everyone,

Got an early start at King’s Cross on Friday, 8am up to Edinburgh to spend Christmas with the in laws and Boxing Day with my folks.

In order to fuel myself for the long journey I’m going to need a full English in my belly.

Is there a spoons or something at the station that can provide this?

No Wetherspoons nearby that I know of, but you can get an all you can eat breakfast buffet (£8 or 9?) without being a hotel guest at the Premier Inn along York Way, or else there are a few greasy spoons nearby in the vicinity.

Otherwise if you don't mind spending a bit, you can get a very nice breakfast over at St Pancras at a few places (like the Betjeman Arms). I think the Parcel Yard is also open for breakfast, but that will likely cost a bit too.

I think I'd go with one of the pub based options as if you're off to celebrate Christmas then I think 8am is a suitable time for a drink too. ;)

Edit: There are also new places around Granary Square and the former gas works, but I don't know if any are open for breakfast. But they can go in the pricey category too!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's a Wetherspoons adjacent to Farringdon station - only a couple of minutes on the Circle/Met/H&C from Kings Cross St Pancras.

96tommy

As others have said the nearest Spoons is not near the station. Nearby Cafe Oz on Caledonian Road apparently does a very good breakfast but I am yet to try (5 minute walk from Kings X). Coffee Uni-N near the old Thameslink entrance on pentonville Road also does an all-day breakfast. If I remember the Betjeman Arms doesn't open until 8am.

TheAdelante

I’m sorry, I can’t help with full English breakfasts, the only places near Kings Cross doing those that I know of are the VTEC trains in first haha, but McDonalds over the road does nice muffins and hash browns? ;)
Good coffee too it’s set me up for a long day plenty of times :)

IanD

Established Member
If you're after 'Spoons, Angel would be the nearest that charges the least - almost directly opposite the tube. Farringdon next - almost outside the station. The Ice Wharf in Camden Town a) is a bit of a walk from Camden Town station and b) I believe is the most expensive non-airport 'Spoons in the UK as far as food is concerned.

Far north 37

Established Member
Weatherspoons just outside baker street station very short journey on the met line

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Searcy's over in St Pancras does a really posh cooked breakfast (too posh to term a 'fry up').

Recall somewhere around the £7-8 mark, plus £2.50 if you'd like a slice of toast (!).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I generally enjoy the Premier Inn breakfast buffet, particularly if I'm in for a long day. The bubble & squeak is a particularly welcome touch.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I generally enjoy the Premier Inn breakfast buffet, particularly if I'm in for a long day. The bubble & squeak is a particularly welcome touch.

The only Premier Inn breakfast I’ve ever had is at the Chef and Brewer next to it at one just south of Gatwick. That was good and had a very decent continental range (I don’t usually go a bundle on cooked hotel breakfasts)

Holiday Inn does quite a good breakfast too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The only Premier Inn breakfast I’ve ever had is at the Chef and Brewer next to it at one just south of Gatwick. That was good and had a very decent continental range (I don’t usually go a bundle on cooked hotel breakfasts)

Holiday Inn does quite a good breakfast too.

I usually eschew the continental/cerial/toast options to leave more room for the important stuff :)

robbeech

Established Member
There’s another Wetherspoons near Holborn station, a bit further away I guess but only 2 stops down the Piccadilly line. Bear in mind though that the station has been exit only in a morning for a while so best to check this or you’ll be needing to walk up to Russel Square.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh no I don’t like cereal it’s like pencil shavings!
Normally at hotel breakfasts I get:

(Hot) One black pudding
One Sausage (maybe - if they look up to Standard)

(Cold) One Danish pastry
Dried fruit
Granny Smith Apple

When it comes to hotel breakfasts my appetite is birdlike!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Premier Inn mentioned is about five minutes over the road, so not "at the next tube station".

Status
Not open for further replies.