• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FTPE Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doobyjangler

I've sat the driver managers interview for FTPE.i was asked the following questions.
Why do you want to be a train driver?
Are you willing to work at other depots should vacancies arise?
Tell us your previous employment history?
What do you know about FTPE?
Driver training maybe residential should you live to far from the training school is this a problem?
Can you start on ..... Date?

I found it quite a relaxing experience and my advice would be to have questions for them.Obviously wear a suit and mention any experience you have gained relevant to the role like shift work and working alone.

They will briefly go through your application and I was in there about 15 minutes.

Wow, you did well there fella, i was in 2 hours!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iWanabee

Twenty minutes? The time slot is an hour and half I have been given.

How come so many people seem to fall at this hurdle then if it really is as simple as above? Guess I'll have to prepare the best I can then.

Stilltrying

Someone said earlier in the thread that there is only one per depot, will the remainder go into a dreaded talent pool if successful?

beavercreek

As far as Im aware this is the last course and the reason that there's no pool is the franchise will be ending soon and most depots have enough drivers.
I'd be very surprised if anybody was in the interview for one and a half hours.My interview was very straight forward and I just answered a handful of questions.
There is only one vacancy per depot.

iWanabee

Where are your interviews being held. Mine is in York, Tanner row or somewhere. Sat navigation time again. Lol

Mattm123

As far as Im aware this is the last course and the reason that there's no pool is the franchise will be ending soon and most depots have enough drivers.
I'd be very surprised if anybody was in the interview for one and a half hours.My interview was very straight forward and I just answered a handful of questions.
There is only one vacancy per depot.

As far as I'm aware there are more than one vacancies per depot. I'm 99% certain of this.

Doobyjangler

Not heard anything yet, I only sat mine last week though and the guy said around 7 days. Probably hear early to mid next week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quick update... Had my email to say I have passed both assessments and have booked my interview for this friday. Good luck to those waiting to hear!

All gone a bit quiet on here, how'd it go chief?

Gareth. c

Guessing nobody wants to give anything away haha, yeah think it went okay mate... My only small concern is that on route maps my location is a little further than the requirement but I'm looking to relocate regardless, So can only wait and see I guess!

Doobyjangler

Guessing nobody wants to give anything away haha, yeah think it went okay mate... My only small concern is that on route maps my location is a little further than the requirement but I'm looking to relocate regardless, So can only wait and see I guess!

Damn right, we should all be pretty good at the waiting bit by now. Not sure where but pretty sure someone said they were more accommodating than Northern for example on that sort of stuff. Anyways, good luck fella!

Last edited:

Gareth. c

Haha York for me mate so don't be voodoo'in me! Have you sat yours yet and if so how did you find it?

Doobyjangler

Haha York for me mate so don't be voodoo'in me! Have you sat yours yet and if so how did you find it?

Not this time round yet. Hit the crossbar earlier in the year.

Reading through stuff on this forum i'd say mine was a bit unusual as it lasted 2hrs. How long were you in?.

Last edited:

Gareth. c

You'll hopefully get another shot at it again soon and improve upon what you thought let you down last time! I was in there around an hour give or take 10 mins. But have no regrets tbh, if I get it then I'll be very happy of course and if not I guess it wasn't meant for me this time round.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've sat the driver managers interview for FTPE.i was asked the following questions.

Why do you want to be a train driver?

Money, I heard you get paid loads and I want a new car.

Are you willing to work at other depots should vacancies arise?

Not really I only want to work at ...

Tell us your previous employment history?

Ive been , this, this, this, this, this, annnnnnnnd this..

What do you know about FTPE?

nothing, aren't all toc's greedy barstweards. I heard franchises change so I don't really care.

Driver training maybe residential should you live to far from the training school is this a problem?

What happens away, stays away. AmIrite ? ;)

Can you start on ..... Date?

Na, I'm in Magaloof that week.

How come so many people seem to fall at this hurdle then if it really is as simple as above? Guess I'll have to prepare the best I can then.

Very easy to fail an interview.

iWanabee

So come on, how did the interviews go guys and gals?

I thought mine was a disaster. :( so many things I forgot to say due to nerves. I now understand how easy it can be to fail this hurdle. Hopefully I did enough but I'm not convinced myself.

Waiting game now. Does anyone know if references will be asked for before the offer of a medical?

Mattm123

So come on, how did the interviews go guys and gals?

I thought mine was a disaster. :( so many things I forgot to say due to nerves. I now understand how easy it can be to fail this hurdle. Hopefully I did enough but I'm not convinced myself.

Waiting game now. Does anyone know if references will be asked for before the offer of a medical?

How long were you in there for? I was half hour. Not sure how to feel about it.

What depot you go for?

iWanabee

It would of been the same questions as yourself as I was told it's the same questions across the board to make it fair for everyone. I just gave the best answer I thought I could at the time (during nerves). Realised once I'd left that there was more I wished I'd given. Only time will tell now I guess.

Gareth. c

Did they give you an idea of hen you should hear if successful or not.. And did they mention how many positions there is? Thanks.

iWanabee

6th December I was told but that's a Saturday. So I don't know. No it wasn't confirmed how many positions available. Did they say anything to you?

Gareth. c

Also said around 6th mate and am sure somebody said 3 positions... So hopefully that's the case! Are you currently living in the York area then?

Gareth. c

I know the feeling mate.. Mine was Friday! Just wanna know so I can hand my notice in etc and can have a breather for a couple of week before training commences (I succesful) my only concern is I live arpund 1hr 10 away on google maps but only takes me 50mins but in looking to relocate regardless so hope this wouldn't effect anything.

paulhutch

I was supposed to attend the second assessment day on Tuesday 11th November only for it to be cancelled on Monday 10th.

I was informed that a new date would be scheduled but heard nothing. I phoned FTPE last Friday to be told that they are trying to arrange a new date but were unable to halt the recruitment process for this job so I may be considered for another post (at a later)

It's looking increasingly unlikely that I will be considered now (given that I am a stage behind), which is disappointing :(
Apparently there are a handful of us in this position (I am assuming they cancelled the Tuesday & Wednesday sessions?)

Anyway, good luck to all who have had their interviews

Doobyjangler

I was supposed to attend the second assessment day on Tuesday 11th November only for it to be cancelled on Monday 10th.

I was informed that a new date would be scheduled but heard nothing. I phoned FTPE last Friday to be told that they are trying to arrange a new date but were unable to halt the recruitment process for this job so I may be considered for another post (at a later)

It's looking increasingly unlikely that I will be considered now (given that I am a stage behind), which is disappointing :(
Apparently there are a handful of us in this position (I am assuming they cancelled the Tuesday & Wednesday sessions?)

Anyway, good luck to all who have had their interviews

Bloody 'ell hutch. Gutted for you, there'll be many a kick in the proverbials trying to secure a driving job though fella. Doesn't sound like a dead end - might even work in your favour in the long run. Which depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.