• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FujiFinePix S5600 or S5700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefab444

Established Member
I'm planning on getting a Fuji S5600 soon, but have noticed there is now an S5700. Great I thought, but I was some what disapointed with the specs...

S5600 is 5.1mp, S5700 is 7.1mp.
S5700 doesn't appear to do RAW, whereas the S5600 does.
Both go up to ISO1600.
S5700 shutter speeds go from 4s to 1/1000*, but the S5600 has a much larger selection, from 15s to 1/2000.

Coupled with the fact the S5600 is a good £60 cheaper, but I want to know why would anyone buy the S5700?

Finepix S5700

Finepix S5600

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Well, both me & Liam have got the S6500fd and I would certainally recomend it - I do like it & the baterry life a brilliant

Jordy

Established Member
I have the S5600, really is an excellent camera and the battery life is fantastic!

The Gricer

Coupled with the fact the S5600 is a good £60 cheaper, but I want to know why would anyone buy the S5700?

Well I suppose they might like the bigger 2.5 inch LCD display on the 5700 (5600 is 1.8 inch) or the much better 230000 pixel EVF which is a big improvement on the 5600's 115000p (this would make things like manual focusing easier). The 5700 has two macro ranges instead of the single setting on the 5600. It can also use SD memory cards as well as XD cards.
Or of course they may just want the 5700 because it's a later model.

If none of this matters to you, go for the 5600, it's a good camera and would be hard to beat at it's current price point.

I don't know why they have 'done away' with RAW mode on the 5700. They seem to be emphasising ease of use on their website and so I guess they feel that buyers of cameras at this level won't really be interested in shooting damn great RAW images which they can't then do much with without further processing / software manipulation.

Frank

devon_metro

Established Member
The S6500 is only £180, so I'm tempted by that, 6mp, very much like the 9500.

I've seen some dodgy reviews about the 9500, I've heard that it has a tendancy to under-expose. I payed nearly £300 for my 6500!

Another benefit is manual zoom, so less battery use and greater ease!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
There have been some dodgy reviews about the JPEG compression and noise reduction levels on the latest Fuji bridge cameras (5600, 6500fd and 9500/9600). I haven't seen a review for the 5700 yet so cannot comment.

S5600:
Fuji’s done some neat software trickery and combined it with the camera’s 5th Generation SuperCCD HR sensor, which combined allow for a much lower noise ratio at a given ISO setting. That said I still had some weird image artifacts (primarily crowds of dense, black pixels in shadow areas) in some less contrasty scenes.

The 5600 retains a 10x zoom lens offering 38mm to 380mm zoom range, so more than enough to play with, but unlike the 5500, which had a F2.8 optic, the 5600 has a less bright F3.2 maximum aperture, meaning that extra noise reduction processing is called into play sooner than would otherwise be needed. Moreover and ultimately, it is this processing that I believe is creating the odd crowds of artifacts within shadows.
<snip>
Image quality. The S5600 easily lives up to the standards set by its forbears with sharp colourful images. A vivid ‘Chrome’ setting allows for extra saturation of shots (there’s a black and white mode too and I’ve included a shot in that mode in this test for you too), ideal for vivid greens and reds. Noise is well controlled as we’ve discussed but highlights become lost quickly if there’s a bright background in a scene for example. All almost identical problems I found with the 5500. Over processing for noise is an issue on this model however, but shooting RAW allows you to control this with even more precision.

So RAW shooting would be the better option however if you want just images ready to crop/resize and stuff on the net without hassle then JPEG is your only option

thefab444

Established Member
Hmmm, almost sold for the 6500, can you recommend a good case for this as I can't seem to find a Fuji case for it? Ones for the 9500, 9600 etc. but not the 6500.

class 313

Established Member
Well the 5500 is pretty much the same as the 5600 and its a great cam, its just the amount of people that have it makes it as common as a 319 at St Albans City Station ;)

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I'm not saying the 5600 is a bad camera it's just those niggles I pointed out that annoy me. It is a good camera and has produced some decent photos in my use but keep your options open and compare and contrast before settling ;)

thefab444

Established Member
They're also pointless if I don't really want to sell photos. I can't really justify spending £500+ on a camera if I won't get anything in return. I just want a semi-decent (what they call an SLR-alike) camera for less than £200 that takes photos with a certain level of manual input.

6500fd fills this perfectly, but if you have any sensible suggestions?

Crompton Karl

I have an SLR but dont sell my pictures, purely for fun with me, i just love the quality of the SLR shots, also i waited till i could afford a decent Canon Digital EOS SLR so i didnt have to re-purchase my lenses that fitted onto my old Canon EOS wet film SLR.

My advice save up a little longer get a good quality SLR you wont regret it.

Karl :)

thefab444

Established Member
Would I be right in thinking you can't take videos with SLRs? As I don't want to have to buy an expensive camera and an expensive camcorder.

Again, though, it's one of these 'ladder' things, you start off on compact point 'n' shoot, then you think a SLR-alike will be far better and you'll never need a better camera, but with time you realise you want an SLR. So I expect in about 2 - 3 years time I'll get an SLR, but for now, though, I want a decent but cheap with good-ish zoom camera.

Another fault is, if I had enough money to buy an SLR, I'd blow it on upgrading my PC. :( :lol:

thefab444

Established Member
I trust you can use the zoom whilst vidding without loosing the sound? On my Samsung Cyber 530, it cuts out the sound if you using the zoom whilst videoing.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I trust you can use the zoom whilst vidding without loosing the sound? On my Samsung Cyber 530, it cuts out the sound if you using the zoom whilst videoing.

On the S5600 you cannot zoom once you have started filming

Jim

Established Member

6500 you can zoom whilst the movie is recording

thefab444

Established Member
Ta for your help, for about £220 I can get the camera, a nice leather bag, set of 2700mAh batteries and a 1GB xD card. :)

Sounds good.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Feel free to ignore this advice, but personally I'd never go back once I got my SLR. It's completely different. I'd even go so far as to say that having an old style digital camera got me into very bad habits, such as pressing the button before I wanted the shot (due to latency) and looking at a silly screen instead of through a viewfinder!

Trust me, if you try a SLR you will not want to go back! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.