• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Funding secured for new station in Middlesbrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Funding has now been secured for a new station at the James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough, due to open in 2014. The station will be on the Esk Valley line between Middlesbrough and Nunthope.

More info: BBC News story

BBC News said:

Railway station approved for James Cook Hospital

Trains will call at a Teesside hospital from next year after plans were approved for a new railway station.

Up to 16 services a day will call at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough, with construction expected to finish by March 2014.

Funding for the new station was secured by a Tees Valley Unlimited bid to the Local Sustainable Transport Fund.

Middlesbrough Council hopes road traffic around the hospital will be substantially reduced.

The station will be to the south of the hospital and its facilities will be lit and covered by CCTV.

Long planned

Existing services on the Esk Valley line will call at the new stop along with an additional four trains re-routed from Middlesbrough to terminate at Nunthorpe.

Phil Verster, route managing director for Network Rail, said: "This investment in Middlesbrough will make it easier for people to use public transport.

"It will be used to access the area as a destination for employment, health appointments, leisure trips and cultural activities."

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said the station had been "talked about" for 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnCarlson

Funding has now been secured for a new station at the James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough, due to open in 2014. The station will be on the Esk Valley line between Middlesbrough and Nunthope.

More info: BBC News story

Nice to know there are going to be some extra trains as well but there should be much more investment in the Middlesbrough area as well. It would be great to see a new bridge over the Tees allowing trains from Hartlepool to run via Middlesbrough football stadium then Middlesbrough station then Darlington/York.

lancastrian

I travelled into Middlesborough off the Esk Valley Line, last September, and having heard about this planned station. I looked both going into and out of Middlesborough, but could not see where they where going to build it.

I know from my friends in the area, that this station will be a real asset to the people of that are of Cleveland and North Yorkshire. However, there will be no improvement to the Esk Valley services, which to me seems very short sighted.

Darandio

Established Member
I travelled into Middlesborough off the Esk Valley Line, last September, and having heard about this planned station. I looked both going into and out of Middlesborough, but could not see where they where going to build it.

Theres ample room. Look at these coordinates. 54.554720 -1.212099

GatwickDepress

Established Member
This sounds pretty good, especially if it's trying to reduce road traffic. Hopefully it'll be well-advertised as an alternative by both the TOC and the local NHS trust, so it doesn't go underused.

I also look forward to a tabloid "shock story" where a late train resulted in someone missing a misreported flu shot. ;)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I can't see it being very well used if there is only going to be a sparse non-clockface timetable. I don't think 4 extra Nunthorpe's would be enough. Considering TPE trains have an aprox 20 mins turn around at Guisborough Junction when there is no Whitby/Nunthorpe in section could there not be an hourly service by TPE as an extension of the Manchester - Middlesbrough service?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Considering TPE trains have an aprox 20 mins turn around at Guisborough Junction when there is no Whitby/Nunthorpe in section could there not be an hourly service by TPE as an extension of the Manchester - Middlesbrough service?

It's more like ten minutes in my experience, arrive xx30 and back on the platform for around xx40 also it means TPE would lose all their recovery time at Middlesbrough. That being said I do think that's a good idea and one that would warrant further investigation.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
It's more like ten minutes in my experience, arrive xx30 and back on the platform for around xx40 also it means TPE would lose all their recovery time at Middlesbrough. That being said I do think that's a good idea and one that would warrant further investigation.

Still a 20min turnaround, the location of the shunt/time in platform etc depends on time, whim of signaller and if there is a train to/from Esk Valley line. Would cause other (minor) logistical issuies such as cleaning and reservation label displaying but could offer almost an hourly service (with it terminating at Boro when there is a Whitby/Nunthorpe due)...probably never happen though as the powers that be will think a frequency of 7/8 trains in each direction and none on a Sunday in Winter will suffice (then wonder why the majority of people will still travel to/from hospital by bus)

lancastrian

Theres ample room. Look at these coordinates. 54.554720 -1.212099

Thanks for that, but I didn't make myself that clear. Yes I except that there is space, I just didn't see the hospital. Perhaps as I was not local, I just didn't recognise it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Still a 20min turnaround, the location of the shunt/time in platform etc depends on time, whim of signaller and if there is a train to/from Esk Valley line. Would cause other (minor) logistical issuies such as cleaning and reservation label displaying but could offer almost an hourly service (with it terminating at Boro when there is a Whitby/Nunthorpe due)...probably never happen though as the powers that be will think a frequency of 7/8 trains in each direction and none on a Sunday in Winter will suffice (then wonder why the majority of people will still travel to/from hospital by bus)

Quite right, as long as they try to restrict the service on the Esk Valley Line to just one set alone. There are places were additional passing loops could be reinstated.

Places such as Sleights, Castleton Moor (loops) and Battersby, by the simple means of reopening the bay platform as well as the main platform. If you want people to use a new station, then they must give that station a decent service at the times people want to use it. Simples.

Ivo

Established Member
This was part of the Tees Valley Metro scheme, was it not? How are other matters for said scheme progressing?

Judging from Google Maps, there is a small stream - the Ormesby Beck - passing next to the station site, on the other side of the line to the hospital. For a station to be sufficiently well patronised, would a bridge need to be built to enable access for those living in the area around Overdale Road? If so, is this planned for, and how much would it cost?

The local newspaper also has details of this (link), and it claims the following:

It is forecast it could be used for 813 journey trips per day.

Isn't that a bit too precise? Sure, 250,000 journeys per annum (assuming a six-day service) is good for a start-up suburban station in a northern town with relatively limited access to the railway network, but where did they get that figure from?

lancastrian

This was part of the Tees Valley Metro scheme, was it not? How are other matters for said scheme progressing?

Judging from Google Maps, there is a small stream - the Ormesby Beck - passing next to the station site, on the other side of the line to the hospital. For a station to be sufficiently well patronised, would a bridge need to be built to enable access for those living in the area around Overdale Road? If so, is this planned for, and how much would it cost?

It says in the newspaper article that it would be built by an already built footbridge. I would assume that common sense would prevail, but would not be surprised if it didn't! That the platform would be built on the same side of the line as the Hospital itself, thereby making sure that the costs of 'access for all' are kept to an absolute minimum.

Darandio

Established Member
It says in the newspaper article that it would be built by an already built footbridge. I would assume that common sense would prevail, but would not be surprised if it didn't! That the platform would be built on the same side of the line as the Hospital itself, thereby making sure that the costs of 'access for all' are kept to an absolute minimum.

That makes it a bit more interesting then, there is a footbridge further up the line. It would leave a 500m or so walk to the south entrance though.

Established Member

Most of Phase 1 was station improvements, which is progressing. A great deal of the line and service improvements is in the rest of the Phases, which still need funding.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Most of Phase 1 was station improvements, which is progressing. A great deal of the line and service improvements is in the rest of the Phases, which still need funding.

Though I am not a total fan of the station improvements. Sure you can here the auto announcements now but the recording they've used is so terrible that it only pronounces about half the names right. It even struggles with telling the time! 0814 sounds almost the same as 0840!! Terrible, absolutely terrible.

Or how about the service calling at Dinsdale, Darlington, North Road (long pause) Darlington!? Or NEWton AYE (pause) cliffe? I have never heard announcements as bad as this. Would I complain to Network Rail or Northern Rail about it?

Established Member
I know what you mean - I was at Seaton Carew at the weekend, got the train back to Hartlepool. Train was going to Hexham, so about 2/3 of the stations were pronounced incorrectly.

Complain to Northern about it, there is a department at York who deals with the PA and CIS systems (well, IIRC there is one member of staff, I suppose you can call that a department).

Frothy

For the benefit of everyone, including Northern, could someone here give a phonetic transcription of station names on the Bishop and Durham coast lines?

For that matter, what will this new station be called? James Cook railway station?

Marton

No news of substance, see the link below

there is a small stream - the Ormesby Beck - passing next to the station site, on the other side of the line to the hospital. For a station to be sufficiently well patronised, would a bridge need to be built to enable access for those living in the area around Overdale Road?

The existing bridge goes straight into the proposed site.

There are plans to upgrade the other 3 stations Marton, Gypsy Lane and Nunthorpe. http://*******.com/aqu389t

Marton may even get a shelter.

One of the problems will be fare collection. In the 10 minutes Nunthope to Middlesbrough there are now 3 stops at time 0, 2 and 4. the new station will be at about 6 minutes

The guard has a job with current loading to get to all the passengers. Very few use season tickets as the EVC Railcard gives 1/3 off

Last edited:

lancastrian

No news of substance, see the link below

The existing bridge goes straight into the proposed site.

There are plans to upgrade the other 3 stations Marton, Gypsy Lane and Nunthorpe. http://*******.com/aqu389t

Marton may even get a shelter.

One of the problems will be fare collection. In the 10 minutes Nunthope to Middlesbrough there are now 3 stops at time 0, 2 and 4. the new station will be at about 6 minutes

The guard has a job with current loading to get to all the passengers. Very few use season tickets as the EVC Railcard gives 1/3 off

The obvious answer would to be to employ a couple of extra staff to collect the fairs from these four stations. I feel that it is very likely that the money collected could be enough to pay the extra staff.

Perhaps it might even be possible to extend the services through Great Ayton to Battersby, these services to terminate in the old bay platform. There could even be inter-change here between the Whitby Services and the local services. This could enable the Whitby services to run straight through Great Ayton, Nunthorpe, Gypsy Lane & Marton, only now stopping at the New Hospital Station & Middlesborough.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Would it not be a good idea to install ticket machines at the stations. After all, if people get used to tickets not being sold it will become known as a 'free service'

Established Member
Norhern ae doing this, but at most of the unmanned stations, the ticket machines are card only, so not much use for short journeys where cash is the main method of payment.

Marton

Northern are doing this, but at most of the unmanned stations, the ticket machines are card only, so not much use for short journeys where cash is the main method of payment.

If the machines were enabled for Contactless Visa it might just work, after all who wants the hassle of putting in a PIN in for a £1.40 return fare?

The other problem is do the machines accept the EVC Railcard; I don't think the one in Middlesbrough Station does.
The obvious answer would to be to employ a couple of extra staff to collect the fairs from these four stations. I feel that it is very likely that the money collected could be enough to pay the extra staff.

I am less sure given that the fare from JCUH will be under £2.10 Return to/ from Middlesbrough - less with a railcard - most people using the service seem to have a railcard.

Perhaps it might even be possible to extend the services through Great Ayton to Battersby, these services to terminate in the old bay platform. There could even be inter-change here between the Whitby Services and the local services. This could enable the Whitby services to run straight through Great Ayton, Nunthorpe, Gypsy Lane & Marton, only now stopping at the New Hospital Station & Middlesborough.

There would be very little take up from Ayton or Battersby as the former is a long way up hill from the village and the latter not near any significant population.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Marton is a significant part of the Captain Cook trail [he was born there and there is a birthplace museum] from Whitby which should be exploited not lost.

Gypsy Lane crossing is a compulsory stop Southbound, and 5 mph Northbound and Nunthorpe requires a stop for the token exchange so not much time saving there.

& Middlesborough.

Sorry to quibble, but it's Middlesbrough

Established Member
If the machines were enabled for Contactless Visa it might just work, after all who wants the hassle of putting in a PIN in for a £1.40 return fare?

The other problem is do the machines accept the EVC Railcard; I don't think the one in Middlesbrough Station does.

Might be coming in if more people were issued with credit/debit cards with the contactless technology. Also, it should be relatively easy to add on any railcard, just a small software change.

lancastrian

Might be coming in if more people were issued with credit/debit cards with the contactless technology. Also, it should be relatively easy to add on any railcard, just a small software change.

That's a fare point 142094, but there are some of us 'luddites' who don't use credit or debit cards. We prefer to use cash, which is the legal tender of this country. Why should we be penalised for not wishing to use dubiously insecure on-line systems.

PR1Berske

Established Member
For the benefit of everyone, including Northern, could someone here give a phonetic transcription of station names on the Bishop and Durham coast lines?

For that matter, what will this new station be called? James Cook railway station?

If there's no rules/regulations against such things, James Cook or James Cook Hospital station seems logical enough to me.

Established Member
That's a fare point 142094, but there are some of us 'luddites' who don't use credit or debit cards. We prefer to use cash, which is the legal tender of this country. Why should we be penalised for not wishing to use dubiously insecure on-line systems.

I agree - I don't normally pay for anything on plastic costing under £10. However, looking at it from Northern's point of view, it should reduce buying times on board (as those with cards should be buying at the station), and having a coin-accepting machine costs a lot more.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I agree - I don't normally pay for anything on plastic costing under £10. However, looking at it from Northern's point of view, it should reduce buying times on board (as those with cards should be buying at the station), and having a coin-accepting machine costs a lot more.

It still misses the point, card only machines will not prevent ticketless travel. If somebody wants to 'chance it' they wont buy a ticket and if the guard gets to them they will buy on. They will cotton onto where the guard normally gets to and sit at the opposite end of the train. As the machine is card only I don't think you can enforce the 'buy before you board' rule as not everyone has a card, or they might only have cash or have nothing in their account. IMO card only machines are a waste of time and money, especially for stations where the journies are going to be low value and short. Would a system of PERTIS style machines with a minimum payment set to the lowest fare not be a better option? Then everybody should have a PERTIS ticket to be excessed to the appropiate fare if the guard gets to them or when they get to the station and they have at least paid something (the 'paid something' concept normally annoys me, but on this type of scenario its preferable to nobody paying at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.