• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Funsize" HST - Doncaster Wabtec to Leicester LIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushroomchow

Afternoon all,

On a complete fluke, I copped a pair of very chilly-looking HSTs and 2 Mk. 3s running on the MML today. On getting home to check, RTT has it down as 598F 1035 from Doncaster to Leicester.

I have noticed in recent weeks and months some FGW Mk. 3s at the depot in pristine condition, but these are the first I've seen on the move. I would assume the HSTs are being used because of the ease of compatability and lack of need for barrier vehicles.

I'm curious to know what's going on with this stock. Is this something to do with refurbishment work for the carriages for HST GTi sets? If so, what's the reasoning behind stationing them at Leicester? I also thought these coaches were going to be getting plug doors - the stock in question is slam-door?

I've got a hastily-shot video - I'll show y'all once Google Drive stops messing me around with processing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Afternoon all,

On a complete fluke, I copped a pair of very chilly-looking HSTs and 2 Mk. 3s running on the MML today. On getting home to check, RTT has it down as 598F 1035 from Doncaster to Leicester.

I have noticed in recent weeks and months some FGW Mk. 3s at the depot in pristine condition, but these are the first I've seen on the move. I would assume the HSTs are being used because of the ease of compatability and lack of need for barrier vehicles.

I'm curious to know what's going on with this stock. Is this something to do with refurbishment work for the carriages for HST GTi sets? If so, what's the reasoning behind stationing them at Leicester? I also thought these coaches were going to be getting plug doors - the stock in question is slam-door?

I've got a hastily-shot video - I'll show y'all once Google Drive stops messing me around with processing.
It's to do with the off-leasing of stock from GWR and transfer to ScotRail.

ScotRail are taking and 4- and 5-car sets, whereas GWR are off-leasing 8-car sets (or slightly shorter depending on the handback plan). Last night's move from SPM to Doncaster was 2 power cars and 6 trailers. Looks like they have dropped 4 trailers off at Wabtec for power door conversion/refurbishment and the power cars and other 2 trailers have gone back to Leicester. Why Leicester? The moves are being done by ROG, and it is a suitable location to stable. I suspect the trailers will move on to Ely for storage - they are off-lease and I assume are not for transfer to ScotRail - and the power cars will go to Brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.