• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Furloughing in the UK - what is the current situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

Apply for furlough? You're not supposed to be able to apply for it. It's supposed to be determined by the employer based on the job role not being required (i.e. it's temporary compulsory redundancy), or based on the receipt of a shielding letter from the Government. If people are "applying for" it, it's being misused.

If there are a number of people doing the same job, and say only half of them were needed during the lockdown period, it's up to the employer to decide which half, and they could decide to ask people to apply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
If there are a number of people doing the same job, and say only half of them were needed during the lockdown period, it's up to the employer to decide which half, and they could decide to ask people to apply.
Or 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off, if that was suitable. I know that's what a lot of bus companies were doing for part of their workforce.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Or 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off, if that was suitable. I know that's what a lot of bus companies were doing for part of their workforce.

Eurostar staff did similar, based on a few Twitter accounts I followed

Definitely the fairest way as not to favour individuals over others (either by granting "free" leave, or imposing pay reductions on some but not others), where people are by and large performing the same role.

DB

Sounds sensible.

I know this approach wasn't universal in all fields though - e.g. people claiming childcare responsibilities being allowed the whole period off while others worked throughout.

greyman42

Established Member
That makes sense as some people may not want furlough for financial or practical reasons.

brad465

Established Member
What do others think about this:

The government is coming under increasing pressure to say what it will do when the furlough scheme expires at the end of October.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is understood to be looking at options including a salary top-up scheme.

This would be similar to those already operating in France and Germany.

During Prime Minister's Questions, Boris Johnson was urged to act swiftly by Labour and SNP MPs to prevent what one called a "tsunami of job losses".

The PM said Mr Sunak was working on "creative and imaginative" solutions.

Although the Treasury has declined to comment, possible ideas are thought to include allowing firms to reduce employees' hours while keeping them in a job, with the government paying part of the lost wages.

My thinking is if such a top-up scheme replacement did come in I don't think it will do much to stop redundancies from many firms, who probably feel the need to cut costs and don't see a long term future even beyond 6 months (especially given the uncertainty around you know what in January 2021).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think it's a good idea. It's going to be a case of putting the money in that way, or putting it into Universal Credit when the jobs go. Perhaps we should go as far as considering a 4 or even 3 day week to spread the work around?

takno

Established Member
I think it's a good idea. It's going to be a case of putting the money in that way, or putting it into Universal Credit when the jobs go. Perhaps we should go as far as considering a 4 or even 3 day week to spread the work around?
I would have thought the majority of places where that is a viable option are already doing it. It's how 0 hours contracts work

Bantamzen

Established Member

Sure, let's spread the work around. I still get paid for full time work though yeah? Its just that I get a bit funny if I can't pay my bills, and I'm guessing quite a few others get that way too.

brad465

Established Member

My thinking is if such a top-up scheme replacement did come in I don't think it will do much to stop redundancies from many firms, who probably feel the need to cut costs and don't see a long term future even beyond 6 months (especially given the uncertainty around you know what in January 2021).
This article has been updated to state the chancellor is planning to announce what the plan is with this scheme after October tomorrow.

LAX54

Established Member
We keep spending money that we have not got ! this will all have to be paid back by the taxpayer next year, which I doubt will be very 'cheap' for the workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.