• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Furthest day trip by air you've done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Done Manchester/Amsterdam and back a few times (Charlori too) but as my spare time is restricted due to being a carer, the only chance of getting a bit of sunshine might be a Man/Barcelona, Palma or Ibiza day return. Too pricy now, but Octiber advance would be an option.

Anyway, just wondered who on here has travelled the furthest out and back within 24 hours. Business, leisure, sport, doesn't matter.

Places, and how you got on, please!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Helsinki, in a day. This was in order to catch the inaugural A350 to Heathrow in Business.

Aside from that, I've done a lot of very long trips which weren't out and back in a day, zigzagging across America. I have LAX-LAS-ORD-MIA-LAX in 26 hours coming up in August, to cop a long haul 767 and intercontinental F on the 77W.

It seems expensive but in the long run my outlay is recouped by Adsense revenue from my YouTube channel.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Total journey time was well over 24 hrs, but in the past I've done Melbourne - Paris, straight into a business meeting then back to Australia the same evening.

The meeting was at short notice and quite a big deal (representing Australia's interests in international negotiations) and I travelled in the pointy end of the plane, so managed OK (access to showers etc in airline lounges along the way, plus champagne & cognac on the way home). A good few days between sleeps in a proper bed, but I was younger then and enjoyed the buzz - once the meeting was over with.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Helsinki, in a day. This was in order to catch the inaugural A350 to Heathrow in Business.

Aside from that, I've done a lot of very long trips which weren't out and back in a day, zigzagging across America. I have LAX-LAS-ORD-MIA-LAX in 26 hours coming up in August, to cop a long haul 767 and intercontinental F on the 77W.

It seems expensive but in the long run my outlay is recouped by Adsense revenue from my YouTube channel.

OT; but do you still get the money if users have adblock (er, like me...;))?
Personally I hope Youtube has a paid-for version to avoid the ads.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Furthest I think have done is London City to Berlin with a one hour journey south west of Berlin chucked in to add to the day.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
OT; but do you still get the money if users have adblock (er, like me...;))?
Personally I hope Youtube has a paid-for version to avoid the ads.

It depends on the sort of ad-blocker you use and the sort of ads you enable as a creator on YouTube.

The pop-up ads are easily blocked by most software. These usually pay per click and don't bring in much money.

Harder to block are the trailer videos (skip after 5 secs ones) and mid-video commercial break ones. These pay per view on most occasions so are the bread-and-butter of YouTube creator content.

YouTube Red is a paid-for, ad-free product for people to watch YouTube on. You won't see any ads with this service. However, it's only available in the USA and Australia/NZ. Not available in the UK yet.

Ultimately, most good quality YouTube content is monetised, and the creators rely on income to at least recoup the costs of the production.

I record my videos as a way of recording my hobby, and I have a well-paid job in civvy street anyway, so the money isn't important to me - though it is nice to have. Interestingly, I've found that most videos pay for themselves after a year in my genre.

Established Member
My furthest journey by air is Manchester to Gran Canaria, 1,880 miles (3,760 miles round trip) according to WebFlyer.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
My furthest journey by air is Manchester to Gran Canaria, 1,880 miles (3,760 miles round trip) according to WebFlyer.

There and back in a day?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It depends on the sort of ad-blocker you use and the sort of ads you enable as a creator on YouTube.

The pop-up ads are easily blocked by most software. These usually pay per click and don't bring in much money.

Harder to block are the trailer videos (skip after 5 secs ones) and mid-video commercial break ones. These pay per view on most occasions so are the bread-and-butter of YouTube creator content.

YouTube Red is a paid-for, ad-free product for people to watch YouTube on. You won't see any ads with this service. However, it's only available in the USA and Australia/NZ. Not available in the UK yet.

Ultimately, most good quality YouTube content is monetised, and the creators rely on income to at least recoup the costs of the production.

I record my videos as a way of recording my hobby, and I have a well-paid job in civvy street anyway, so the money isn't important to me - though it is nice to have. Interestingly, I've found that most videos pay for themselves after a year in my genre.

My TV youtube app has trailers which generally can be skipped after 4 - 5 secs (if I can't then I move on to another video) and for the web service adblock+ even blocks the trailers.

Wouldn't have adblock if it were just one ad, 10 secs maximum. What can an ad tell us in 30 seconds that it can't in 10?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Wouldn't have adblock if it were just one ad, 10 secs maximum. What can an ad tell us in 30 seconds that it can't in 10?

Indeed.

The key for advertisers is to create 5 second adverts, so nobody skips any part of it. This would work for both creators and viewers alike; YouTube needs both to survive!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I've done Dublin in a day twice on Ryanair, once from Newcastle and once from Leeds/Bradford. But I'm sure that'll be knocked into a cocked hat compared to some people on here (and don't even start with the mental cases dedicated flyers on FlyerTalk who do "tier point runs" to Honolulu and back in a weekend).

fowler9

Established Member
Longest I've done in a day is Liverpool to Amsterdam. My little sister has me beat, she is cabin crew for Easyjet so wherever the furthest away from Liverpool they fly is is her record.

Established Member
In a day?

There and back in a day?

Not the same day, but it was within 24 hours. I was flying there to see an ill relative who was living there to say my goodbyes. Unfortunately, she passed away whilst I was flying there, so after getting there and finding out my aunt had died when her sister met me at the airport, I decided to change my return flight (which was with a different airline) to go back to Manchester the next morning.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Not the same day, but it was within 24 hours. I was flying there to see an ill relative who was living there to say my goodbyes. Unfortunately, she passed away whilst I was flying there, so after getting there and finding out my aunt had died when her sister met me at the airport, I decided to change my return flight to go back to Manchester the next morning.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Class45

In 2004 I flew Easyjet from Luton to Geneva, then travelled by train to Brig, Andermatt, Goschenen and Zurich, and the Easyjet back to Luton. Took about 18 hours in total.

me123

Established Member
Just Edinburgh to London for me (357 miles to Gatwick as the crow flies).

jp4712

I’m not sure if my 24-hour record is all that amazing, but I recently had a week to remember (or forget…)

Monday: 1945 Birmingham to Paris, then connected to 2330 Paris – Tel Aviv, arrived 0500 Tuesday morning
Tuesday and Wednesday, all day: meetings in Israel
Wednesday evening: 2310 Tel Aviv to New York Newark, arrived 04:20 Thursday morning
Thursday all day: meetings in Pennsylvania
Thursday evening: 19:00 New York Newark to Birmingham, arrived 07:10 Friday morning

So by my reckoning between Monday evening and Friday morning, I spent three nights in the air and one night in a bed (two of those nights were flatbed at the pointy end but not exactly restful);

Birmingham – Paris 311 miles
Paris – Tel Aviv 2022 miles
Tel Aviv – Newark 5667 miles
Newark – Birmingham 3403 miles
Total 11403 miles between Monday evening and Friday morning

Established Member
Sorry to hear that mate.

Thanks mate, I still miss my aunt but I just think of the good times. I plan to go out to Gran Canaria on holiday at some point, although it's going to be next year at the earliest.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In 2004 I flew Easyjet from Luton to Geneva, then travelled by train to Brig, Andermatt, Goschenen and Zurich, and the Easyjet back to Luton. Took about 18 hours in total.

Luton-Geneva is probably my furthest day trip by air. Though I've done sillier things - the "best" one is probably KL to Tokyo return in a weekend (between two weeks of work) - out Friday overnight, back Sunday afternoon. Great memories of that one - not a place I expected to end up going but it was cheap!

OT, but I did a train trip very similar to yours today - Brig-Andermatt-Goeschenen-Lugano-Milano, very enjoyable.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've only flown 4 times that I remember. They were

Birmingham-Amsterdam
Amsterdam-Vancouver
Vancouver-Amsterdam
Amsterdam-Birmingham

Iskra

Established Member
From mainland Iceland to the island of Heimaey in a Britten-Norman Islander

Or:

RAF Linton-on-Ouse to RAF Linton-on-Ouse
RAF Church Fenton to RAF Church Fenton
RAF Wittering to RAF Wittering
RAF Benson to RAF Benson
An airfield near Sherburn in Elmet, returning to said Airfield
A helicopter tour from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back (probably the furthest actually)

Last edited:

FQTV

If you leave Heathrow at teatime on Air New Zealand, you can be all the way over the Atlantic and halfway across the Pacific before your carriage turns into a pumpkin.

It's the day that never ends.

Closer to home, Madrid for lunch is perfectly possible on one of BA's day trip fares.

I've done three Transatlantics in a week before now, and UK-South Korea and back in three days, but from the major London airports, the longest day trips that are anything other than pure back-to-backs with no longer at the destination than the aircraft turnaround time will be about four hours, to somewhere like Athens, I would think.

WestCoast

Established Member
I flew Munich to Manchester via Athens about two years ago, with an 8 hour stopover in Athens. Had enough time to reach the Acropolis and explore too. The fare booked through Expedia was an absolute steal as I remember.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The only time I've ever flown was in an RAF helicopter in cadets years ago. For about... ten minutes. I've never so much as done a domestic flight!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's been a while since I last flew - I can't remember which of the Wright brothers was piloting that day.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
In terms of just a day trip it would be Liverpool-Belfast. Longest flight in one go would probably either Dubai-Manila or Manchester-Brussels-Mumbai-Singapore.

steamybrian

Established Member
My longest single journey is Vancouver(Canada) to Heathrow

Longest return journey in a day Gatwick- Finland (Rovaniemi) to visit Santa Claus in Lapland...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
As a day trip probably my only entry is Bournemouth to Jersey a few years ago on a Bath Travel day excursion to the island using Palmair.

Longest single trip would be Shanghai to Heathrow

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Teesside Airport - Bucharest and back for a European game ( UEFA cup quarter final?) between Steau Bucharest and Moiddlesbrough in April 2006.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Definitely against the spirit of the occasion, however...

We'd left Hong Kong on the way home, flown about as far as Beijing when it was announced we were turning back to Hong Kong due to a technical fault on the plane not serious enough to precipitate an emergency landing, but not mild enough to continue. Arrived in Hong Kong, where they rummaged in a draw and found another 777 and off we went again. So Hong Kong - Beijing - Hong Kong in a day.

Apart from that, MAN - AMS more times than I care to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.