• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Furthest you can go on a bus day/season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidave

I have a freedom pass, so I'm not up to date on all the ticketing options available. What's the furthest someone can travel on a day or season ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nidave

You could do 1050 miles tomorrow (according to RailMiles):

0519 London Euston - change Preston - change Haymarket - Aberdeen arr 1354
Quick lunch break
1451 Aberdeen - change Edinburgh - London Kings Cross arr 2334

I meant on a bus ticket...

gnolife

Established Member
A Stagecoach north west day ticket can see you all the way from Chester to Newcastle, changing at Liverpool, Preston, Lancaster, Keswick and Carlisle.

carlberry

Established Member
Or you could do 4 round trips from London Euston to Stoke on Trent, totalling 1160 miles. The turnarounds at Stoke would be tight though.

Depart Euston 0603, 1007, 1407, 1807
Depart Stoke 0752, 1153, 1553, 1952.
Plus 8 opportunities for the ticket inspector to chuck you off for attempting to use a bus ticket on a train!

RHolmes

Chorley to Holyhead on an Arriva North West and wales ticket.

362 Chorley to Wigan, 360 Wigan to Warrington, X30 Warrington to Chester, 11 Chester to Rhyl, 12 Rhyl to Llandudno, 5 Llandudno to Bangor and 4 Bangor to Holyhead.

Alternatively you could take a longer route and go from Wigan to Runcorn via Southport and Liverpool to catch the X30 from there or via Ormskirk and Liverpool or Warrington and Liverpool. Another divert could be from Chester Rail station to Chester bus station via Mold and Wrexham.

peterblue

Leeds - Barnsley - Sheffield - Chesterfield - Nottingham is possible on Stagecoach explorer ticket.

Glasgow - Dundee - Aberdeen on an EScot dayrider

Last edited:

peterblue

A Stagecoach north west day ticket can see you all the way from Chester to Newcastle, changing at Liverpool, Preston, Lancaster, Keswick and Carlisle.

On that same ticket you can start from Wrexham on the albeit infrequent #5 route.

sk688

Salisbury to Weston-Super-Mare on a First WoE day ticket , using D1 to Bath , X39 to Bristol , and then the X1 to Weston

Similarly Chippenham to Weston using an Avonrider - using X31 to Bath , X39 to Bristol and then the X1 to Weston

CBlue

King's Lynn to Saffron Walden used to be possible on a Stagecoach Dayrider+ until recently.

For just over £6 and travelling as follows:

505 to Spalding
37 to Peterborough
Busway service B to Cambridge
7 to Saffron Walden.

Myself and a friend once managed to work out a way of getting from Cambridge to Newport via Stagecoach services, but we could never find for definite if the Gold rider ticket was valid all the way there!

Pat1105

Stagecoach North Scotland offer the ‘Bluebird Explorer’ ticket that allows travel from Inverness all the way down to Dundee.

gnolife

Established Member
Stagecoach North Scotland offer the ‘Bluebird Explorer’ ticket that allows travel from Inverness all the way down to Dundee.
Or you've got Scotland East offering Glasgow or Edinburgh to Aberdeen on their day tickets

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
King's Lynn to Saffron Walden used to be possible on a Stagecoach Dayrider+ until recently.

For just over £6 and travelling as follows:

505 to Spalding
37 to Peterborough
Busway service B to Cambridge
7 to Saffron Walden.

Myself and a friend once managed to work out a way of getting from Cambridge to Newport via Stagecoach services, but we could never find for definite if the Gold rider ticket was valid all the way there!

An East Dayrider Gold definitely gets you from Bury St Edmunds/Saffron Walden to Swindon via Cambridge-X5-Oxford.

aliceh

The Go South Coast day pass is valid on a lot of services in the area, and you could clock up a fair few miles on it. I don't know if it's possible to do it in one day (probably not), but you could go from Swindon - Salisbury - Southampton - Eastleigh/Winchester - back to Southampton - Lymington - Bournemouth - Poole - Blandford - Bere Regis - Dorchester - Weymouth covering about 185 miles

gnolife

Established Member
You can’t use the Bluebird Explorer on those services. Only the X7 from Aberdeen to Dundee
I'm aware that I'd clicked to post the reply before I'd finished writing the sentence, but even with the stub I'd left I thought it was apparent that I was talking about Stagecoach East Scotland's range of tickets rather than North Scotland. I've edited my post to make it explicit

MB162435

Established Member
You can go from Land's End to Plymouth now on Transport for Cornwall buses, will be easier once they are on a normal timetable, with less services and routes currently due to the present Covid timetable

RustySpoons

Whitby to Preston on a DayTripper+ ticket from Transdev. Get a few of you going and go for a group ticket and it works out even cheaper.

darloscott

Leeds - Barnsley - Sheffield - Chesterfield - Nottingham is possible on Stagecoach explorer ticket.

Glasgow - Dundee - Aberdeen on an EScot dayrider
I used Yorkshire's Explorer ticket a few months ago for a daft day out from Leeds, down to Nottingham as you suggest then returned via Worksop, Doncaster and Barnsley! Cheap day out

causton

Established Member
1589464672805.png
With the Explorer ticket (£9 for a day) you can go all the way from Reading to Milton Keynes to Colchester!

A bit of a weird ticket as it is designed to be for almost all buses in Hertfordshire, but Arriva stretch the boundary "slightly" to include a huge area...

I myself did Milton Keynes - Aylesbury, Aylesbury - Oxford, (Oxford - London on the last day of the X90 coaches, then London - Twyford by train) then Twyford - High Wycombe, High Wycombe - Aylesbury then Aylesbury - Milton Keynes! That was one long day out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Salisbury to Weston-Super-Mare on a First WoE day ticket , using D1 to Bath , X39 to Bristol , and then the X1 to Weston

Similarly Chippenham to Weston using an Avonrider - using X31 to Bath , X39 to Bristol and then the X1 to Weston

You can get the WoE plus ticket valid on BoS that will take you from Salisbury to Weston but the probably get you to Burnham, Taunton and to Axminster (ready to get the train back to Salisbury)

Just had a look and that's £10.90, very good value IMHO, been a long time since I sold an explorer and I am sure they were close to 8 quid then.

As you might have guessed, I've been on many an Explorer North East. Was always a good ticket when it was just United and Northern (and Weardale) but handier with Stagecoach now. I've done Darlington and Richmond to Berwick before.

There's some great value tickets out there if you've the time

Wolvercoter

I once went from Oxford to Newport on a Stagecoach Goldrider... £5.50 in them days. Had a free day to do it in. Not sure if it's still valid or whether the Gloucester to Newport bit is still running. 20 (now S3) from Woodstock Road into Oxford city centre. 66 (now S6) to Swindon. 51 to Cheltenham. 94 to Gloucester. 74 to Newport via Chepstow. 50 from Newport up to Risca Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.