• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future Of Caledonian Sleeper Class 86s/87

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBS92042

Established Member
I may be mistaken, but I believe 86101 & 87002 are due to be in the consist/working the 5Z36 1050 Eastleigh Arlington (Zg) to Crewe H.S. tomorrow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I may be mistaken, but I believe 86101 & 87002 are due to be in the consist/working the 5Z36 1050 Eastleigh Arlington (Zg) to Crewe H.S. tomorrow.

Argh... I’ve got the day off but have just booked tickets on EMRs HSTs....

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Just seen it pass through Basingstoke - just 87002 in the consist in IC Swallow livery. :)

I wonder why they took off the multi cables off the front? I know they were only cosmetic but it did look better with them

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The_Train

Established Member

Thanks for the heads up on this one!
Managed to see it pass through a very gloomy Stafford and it's looking goooooooooood

capital12

Just out of interest, why have they painted the surrounds of the rear markers black?! I don’t ever recall seeing one with massive black circles before or did they carry these in service?

Matt1983

Not too sure, I don’t recall seeing them with black surrounds previously. In both locos they have also painted the cable tabs yellow, these were always orange so far as I remember, not sure why they have not done so in this case?

TimboM

Established Member
Not too sure, I don’t recall seeing them with black surrounds previously. In both locos they have also painted the cable tabs yellow, these were always orange so far as I remember, not sure why they have not done so in this case?
They may not be 100% finished yet...

I think it’s a real shame that neither of them will be in rail blue...

fgwrich

Established Member
I think it’s a real shame that neither of them will be in rail blue...

Personally I don't - Partly because we've already seen the pair in Rail Blue under ETL ownership, and partly because it's nice to have a very welcome change. What with 37688 in BR Trainload guise, 47828 / 86101 / 87002 In INTERCITY Swallow, 37419 in Mainline and 37425 In Reggie Rail, it makes a nice change to the almost endless BR Green / BR Blue we've rather come accustom to now and is good to see some of the later liveries finally make a resugrance. But that's my just my opinion.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Personally I don't - Partly because we've already seen the pair in Rail Blue under ETL ownership, and partly because it's nice to have a very welcome change. What with 37688 in BR Trainload guise, 47828 / 86101 / 87002 In INTERCITY Swallow, 37419 in Mainline and 37425 In Reggie Rail, it makes a nice change to the almost endless BR Green / BR Blue we've rather come accustom to now and is good to see some of the later liveries finally make a resugrance. But that's my just my opinion.

Personally I would like to have seen then repainted in "Intercity Executive" livery but at the end of the day I'm just glad to see them in good hands and ready for mainline operation rather than exported or sent for scrap.

fgwrich

Established Member
Personally I would like to have seen then repainted in "Intercity Executive" livery but at the end of the day I'm just glad to see them in good hands and ready for mainline operation rather than exported or sent for scrap.

I rather agree - Intercity Exec has so far rather been the forgotten version of IC, although I'm sure it'll make a resurgence sooner rather than later. It certainly is good to see all 3 remain in this country though, that's for certain.

pieguyrob

I think they look quite smart in that livery. I'm looking forward to riding behind 87002 with a matching rake of carriages. It bring back memories of riding behind it and its clasmates on the WCML in the late nineties.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
87002 is happily zooming around my front room. Today it had a Mk1 charter set in matching InterCity livery in tow :D

irish_rail

Established Member
Agreed. Nothing duller than the plain blue and green stuff. Looking forward to 125 group hopefully doing a proper intercity swallow repaint on the cars it is due to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.