• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future Of Caledonian Sleeper Class 86s/87

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
That's an old photo of 87002 in intercity livery. Very likely it's in intercity livery but I haven't seen any recent photos proving it's in InterCity livery. The way I know this is that DVT 82110 has been scrapped and certainly isn't in intercity livery.

I know that's an old photo.
Did not think the 2 AC loco's would have been painted that quick. We will see soon enough I'm sure.
As long as it's not painted Porterbrook purple again! Any classic livery would be nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murray J

I know that's an old photo.
Did not think the 2 AC loco's would have been painted that quick. We will see soon enough I'm sure.
As long as it's not painted Porterbrook purple again! Any classic livery would be nice.
ah ok gotcha. but hopefully it is painted in either intercity or BR, although in theory the old virgin trains livery is also on the cards I guess.

DBS92042

Established Member
ah ok gotcha. but hopefully it is painted in either intercity or BR, although in theory the old virgin trains livery is also on the cards I guess.
I certainly wouldn't mind the seeing the old Virgin livery on one of them, and it would also be quite fitting seeing as Virgin Trains is soon to be no more. I suspect it's likely to be a BR livery though.

TimboM

Established Member
Captainbigun has already said it won't be BR Blue. It really won't be Virgin Trains either.
That leaves...

TimboM

Established Member
Electric blue?
LSL/Hosking have a habit (rule?) of painting locos in a livery they were once in. Were 87002 or 86101 ever in Electric Blue? (Genuine question)
Either way, it's not that... ;)

xotGD

Established Member
I'd assumed that they were both going to be painted into Northern livery, ready to work peak extra Airedale services...

DBS92042

Established Member
I'd assumed that they were both going to be painted into Northern livery, ready to work peak extra Airedale services...
I haven't heard that option before, it'll certainly be an interesting sight if they do go into Northern colours.

Although 86101 is the first ever 86 to Visit Eastleigh 87002 is not the first 87. That honour fell to 87013 in September 1992 on its way to Bournemouth open day if anyone is interested?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Although 86101 is the first ever 86 to Visit Eastleigh 87002 is not the first 87. That honour fell to 87013 in September 1992 on its way to Bournemouth open day if anyone is interested?

Always interested! Thanks for the info. Intercity Swallow livery!

D365

Veteran Member
Any news on potential destinations where the locomotives will be used?

DBS92042

Established Member
Any news on potential destinations where the locomotives will be used?
They've been sold to Locomotive Services, so I'm assuming they'll be used on charters and private hire. I believe the fate of 86401 is still to be decided.

D365

Veteran Member
They've been sold to Locomotive Services, so I'm assuming they'll be used on charters and private hire. I believe the fate of 86401 is still to be decided.

Apologies; I was aware of the change in ownership, I’m curious how LSL will make an income from them if ACLG decided that they were unable to.

DBS92042

Established Member
Apologies; I was aware of the change in ownership, I’m curious how LSL will make an income from them if ACLG decided that they were unable to.
I could be wrong, but I think the sale of the locos was in part to aid the return of 89001 and allow the ACLG to focus on their other locos at Barrow Hill, rather than 86101 and 87002 being unprofitable.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I prefer mainline with the warp round yellow cabs over IC which was just too dark on these locos.
Better known as Intercity Executive, which I agree is a livery too often overlooked these days. It did a great job of tying the yellow warning panel into the actual livery, and looked very tidy when applied correctly. Would love to see more of it again.

TimboM

Established Member
LSL don't need to make an income from them. LSL / Saphos Trains / L&NWR Heritage etc. are all owned by a very, very wealthy chap named Jeremy Hosking. Whilst he runs them as businesses and I'm sure they're generate a fair bit of trade through railtours and the like, they don't need to make ends meet in quite the same way ACLG / ETL.

HOOVER29

They can paint em both pink with yellow spots for me. Just as long they don’t get exported especially the seven

Status
Not open for further replies.