• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Class 185s

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #11 originally in this thread.

I see the 185s being used before the 175s to be honest. Don't know why, just gut feeling.
I'll be staggered if any of them end up leaving the TPE franchise once the dust settles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
I'll be staggered if any of them end up leaving the TPE franchise once the dust settles.
Really once they have all 3 nova fleets in full service all 185s are pretty much useless arn’t they? I know they are keeping a few?

Domh245

Established Member
About half of the 185 fleet was being kept to run the south transpennine service (Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes wasn't it?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are fifty-one class 185s. Once the various new trains are rolled out on TPE they are committed to keeping twenty-nine of them in the long term to run South TPE and some North TPE services (there aren't quite enough Mk5s). This leaves twenty-two units without a home. Lumping in Liverpool - Nottingham and running doubles on at least some services will eat up another fifteen or so leaving somewhere in the region seven without a home. It seems likely to me that it will be possible to find a way of making the numbers work for those seven to simply remain in the TPE franchise. So whilst it's by no means certain, right now my money is on them all ending up remaining with TPE in the long term. Even with their new fleet.

However we're in danger of going wildly off topic here considering the thread we're in so a new thread may be required if we wish to go further on this!

samuelmorris

Established Member
There are fifty-one class 185s. Once the various new trains are rolled out on TPE they are committed to keeping twenty-nine of them in the long term to run South TPE and some North TPE services (there aren't quite enough Mk5s). This leaves twenty-two units without a home. Lumping in Liverpool - Nottingham and running doubles on at least some services will eat up another fifteen or so leaving somewhere in the region seven without a home. It seems likely to me that it will be possible to find a way of making the numbers work for those seven to simply remain in the TPE franchise. So whilst it's by no means certain, right now my money is on them all ending up remaining with TPE in the long term. Even with their new fleet.

However we're in danger of going wildly off topic here considering the thread we're in so a new thread may be required if we wish to go further on this!
I'm inclined to agree - why insufficient Mk5s were ordered is a bit puzzling, and it's a shame as the 185s could have uses in numerous other places.

Nym

Established Member
I'm inclined to agree - why insufficient Mk5s were ordered is a bit puzzling, and it's a shame as the 185s could have uses in numerous other places.

For fear of straying too far off topic.

The 185s accelerate a lot better than the Mk.5s w/68 and the WoE units being used on the rest of TPE.
As the Hull & Selby services (yes, and Selby) are going to be stoppers over the pennies, this extra performance was needed. Similar for the Hope Valley, or they knew about Liverpool - Norwich splitting and wanted a common Hope Valley fleet?

samuelmorris

Established Member
For fear of straying too far off topic.

The 185s accelerate a lot better than the Mk.5s w/68 and the WoE units being used on the rest of TPE.
As the Hull & Selby services (yes, and Selby) are going to be stoppers over the pennies, this extra performance was needed. Similar for the Hope Valley, or they knew about Liverpool - Norwich splitting and wanted a common Hope Valley fleet?
I don't have an issue with 185s being retained for the South Transpennine, what confuses me is not ordering enough for the specific routes the Mk5s were intended to be used on and having a mix of them and 185s operate the same route.

K13R0N

About half of the 185 fleet was being kept to run the south transpennine service (Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes wasn't it?

They're supposedly keeping some on to make the South Transpennine services 6 car from 2020 I believe

CosherB

Established Member
They're probably keeping all of them so all 185 operated services can be 6 cars, on top of the Liverpool - Nottingham service.
The assumption has been that TPE will secure the Liverpool - Nottingham end of these EMT services. Why couldn't Northern operate them with 158s?

Status
Not open for further replies.