• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Harbour is handy for the light industrial units nearby on Beach Road, there's a few houses as well. I'd suggest these provide the bulk of the station's users.

Indeed, they must do. Although there maybe some estimating issues given the proximity of the two stations.

I suppose the point is: how many of those 50,000 would give up using the train if the station closed, given how close it is to Town? Very few I’d suggest. Then the 700,000 people who use the train further down the branch would have a 2 minute quicker journey, and the railway would save some cost of maintenance / power etc.

There is definitely a case for closure on a socio-economic basis, but I accept that it won’t happen!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class717

The peak hour only service is going to be introduced as a trial but I could see it possibly becoming permanent, then fewer people will use Harbour, and you can see one thing leading to another

Kite159

Veteran Member
The peak hour only service is going to be introduced as a trial but I could see it possibly becoming permanent, then fewer people will use Harbour, and you can see one thing leading to another

I can see Harbour eventually getting reduced to a token daily service to avoid the lengthy closure process.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Surprisingly, I believe that this ferry route may not totally disappear for a long time as according to the Seat61 website, this is the only way to get across to mainland Europe if you are travelling with a dog or other pet as a foot passenger.

Harwich-HvH takes dogs on board. I'd be surprised if they only allowed them with people arriving on the boat by car and not those arriving on foot. (I assumed that the vehicles on that route were mostly freight anyway.)

Fincra5

Established Member

Unless the Barriers at Beach Road Crossing are down and the Signal on the DN, at Newhaven Harbour, is Off, there is no point in removing a station stop.

southern442

Established Member
I would probably suggest that the token once-a-day service might come into play, but only once Harbour becomes the least-used station on the line. Currently Bishopstone and Southease still have fewer annual passengers, and Bishopstone gets a half-hourly service, so at the moment it would make more economic sense to close those two down instead ;)

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would probably suggest that the token once-a-day service might come into play, but only once Harbour becomes the least-used station on the line. Currently Bishopstone and Southease still have fewer annual passengers, and Bishopstone gets a half-hourly service, so at the moment it would make more economic sense to close those two down instead ;)
I know the suggestion is partly tounge-in-cheek, but before anybody gets any ideas:
Southease serves several small villages on the far side of the river, and the South Downs Way. The closure of Southease would force the passengers to drive into Lewes, along a very dangerous road into a very congested town with limited parking already. It does get used, and with potential shifts in leisure trends post-covid it's possible it could be utilised more with if it gets weekend trains to/from london.
Bishopstone is useful for avoiding railheading from the western end of Seaford (which would likely go to Lewes if they're getting in the car at all). 1.5km out from Seaford station, at the end of the line, isn't a massive penalty. Also it serves a holiday caravan park which probably makes off-peak flexibility a reasonable factor to consider.

Personally, I'd close Harbour, extend Town's platforms to 12-car and build a south entrance. It's approx 600m from the entrance of harbour to the entrance of town, cut that down to 350m and it's added very little time. It might be feasible then at town to put a mid-platform signal to let shorter trains stop without closing the crossing first, saving on congestion. Peak-time trains from Seaford could then be 12-Car if required. Off-peak weekdays you'd continue to run the present half-hourly service to brighton, but on weekends you could divert the Victoria train that terminates at Eastbourne to Seaford (leaving the Ore train to continue serving Eastbourne) and give both Branches 1tph all-day. I'd also put the old bishopstone beach/tide mills platform back as a weekends-only request stop. How you fund (and get permission for) most of this is a very different question...
Crew & Unit diagrams would also probably be rather dramatically affected by this. This would allow the trackwork at Newhaven to be slightly reconfigured for access to the Marine freight terminal, possibly making maintenance savings depending on how much the level crossing drives up the costs.

Back in reality, you may as well keep serving harbour with 2tph as long as it's open given it makes no difference to the times, and you'll still have to pay for the upkeep. Best the branch can hope for is for a diversion of 1 of the Victoria-Eastbourne trains on a Saturday to restore all-day direct trains. Might not make too much difference but could be enough for people with luggage to use the ferry as no change, and for (mainly family) day-trippers to use Seaford instead of a rammed-out Brighton.

RichardKing

Off-peak weekdays you'd continue to run the present half-hourly service to brighton, but on weekends you could divert the Victoria train that terminates at Eastbourne to Seaford (leaving the Ore train to continue serving Eastbourne) and give both Branches 1tph all-day.

Best the branch can hope for is for a diversion of 1 of the Victoria-Eastbourne trains on a Saturday to restore all-day direct trains. Might not make too much difference but could be enough for people with luggage to use the ferry as no change, and for (mainly family) day-trippers to use Seaford instead of a rammed-out Brighton.

The Victoria - Eastbourne's were well-used prior to Covid and I'm sure will be again once we return to pre-virus normality. I'm not sure if doing this would go down well.

One option would be to split & attach at Lewes, with one portion going to/coming from Eastbourne and the other Seaford? They do this twice a day (attachment in the morning and detachment in the evening) during the normal timetable anyway.

southern442

Established Member
Is there any scope for a Fishguard Harbour type service, with boat trains from London connecting with ferry sailings? Or is that basically what happens now with the peak hour services?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there any scope for a Fishguard Harbour type service, with boat trains from London connecting with ferry sailings? Or is that basically what happens now with the peak hour services?
I think you’re really asking, are there enough foot passengers travelling by train to justify special boat trains in addition to the normal timetable? I expect not.

Jan Mayen

The entrance to the ferry terminal is now next to Newhaven Town station. So any boat train service would need to call there instead of Harbour.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

RichardKing

I think there's been a loco berthed in Lewes Up Siding for the past few days, so it may have been that.

Crawley Ben

Is it still there? Can't see any return working from Newhaven Marine sidings. And are we talking about an EMU or some diesel loco running light engine?

DB Cargo 66050 was the loco in question.

Another route learning path sheduled for tomorrow as well from Hayward’s Heath to Newhaven Marine. Headcode 0Z73 (not activated at this time)

Ben

Last edited:

cphilb

Does anyone who lives locally know if the footpath north of Mill Creek (that runs alongside the railway) is open now? I presume the new port access road is now in use?
Yes - it is open - walked from the beach over both the creek bridge and railway bridge back into Newhaven this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.