• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
In terms of progress of the new access bridge across the railway, they've started laying some sort of material in the river now so probably wont be long till it starts being erected.
Wouldn't mind a closer look at the new sidings in marine but its challenging to get closer than harbour footbridge without getting caught, haven't dared go any closer...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In terms of progress of the new access bridge across the railway, they've started laying some sort of material in the river now so probably wont be long till it starts being erected.
Wouldn't mind a closer look at the new sidings in marine but its challenging to get closer than harbour footbridge without getting caught, haven't dared go any closer...

I know what you mean, I went a couple of years ago, and despite there being no signs that I saw, and an open gate from the footbridge, I got shouted at. What exactly is/was the situation there?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I know what you mean, I went a couple of years ago, and despite there being no signs that I saw, and an open gate from the footbridge, I got shouted at. What exactly is/was the situation there?

Who shouted at you - the security guard or the signalman?

The area is a restricted zone and thus not open to the public

You should get a decent view of the Marine sidings through a good zoom lens

Who shouted at you - the security guard or the signalman?

The area is a restricted zone and thus not open to the public

You should get a decent view of the Marine sidings through a good zoom lens

It was the security guard on the road entrance. The thing was I had no idea it was a secure area, the pedestrian gate at the footbridge was unlocked, opened onto what looked just like a road to me. There were no signs that I saw, and I did look, especially afterwards, to try and see what I might have missed.

I was just trying to see what remained of Marine at the time. I don't have a zoom lens, and at the time didn't even have my camera with me, it was just curiosity and a free couple of hours in East Sussex.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
It was the security guard on the road entrance. The thing was I had no idea it was a secure area, the pedestrian gate at the footbridge was unlocked, opened onto what looked just like a road to me. There were no signs that I saw, and I did look, especially afterwards, to try and see what I might have missed.

I was just trying to see what remained of Marine at the time. I don't have a zoom lens, and at the time didn't even have my camera with me, it was just curiosity and a free couple of hours in East Sussex.

If you are interested, I will post a picture I took of the Marine a few months ago. It was taken from the station footbridge but should give an idea of the revised layout

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
This was taken in February this year with the new connection into the Marine completed Aug 2018. At that time, the points were disconnected from the signalbox as it was planned for TBROC to take over control (which didn't happen in the end). The remains of the old sidings can just be seen. I presume these will be lifted and a loco run-round facility will be provided View towards N.Marine.R Armstrong.JPG

trainmania100

Established Member
Nice one, thanks for sharing. There's an adjacent track alongside the one in the platform, with a red buffer stop at the harbour station end, not sure what that's for. Perhaps just a headshunt for wagons etc

trainmania100

Established Member
Thank you :) Is that new track then? Has the run-round facility been installed?
I can't see close enough but there's definitely two tracks parallel to eachother. Not sure where the points are between the two. Will have another look Saturday or Sunday :)

Sunset route

Thank you :) Is that new track then? Has the run-round facility been installed?

0AA415DB-1873-4162-924A-E13FB97D4E67.jpeg

If there is a new freight run round it’s not reflected on the workstation signalling diagram. The only thing showing is a graphic for a stop board at the end of the marine platform.

trainmania100

Established Member
Just been down to marine, there's definitely a brand new track running paralel to the track in the platform. I'll send some pics soon

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hmm, that is interesting. Thank you so much for sharing.

Guess the new aggregate facility will just be for road then
Did you see post #210, which mentioned there were WTT paths put in from May to/from the aggregate terminal? I think it’s rather premature to assume no rail connection is to be provided...

There are three paths to the terminal in today, the first has been cancelled and the others will be before long...

trainmania100

Established Member
See attached pic I took this morning from the footbridge, there is new track and buffer stop alongside the line that goes into the platform.

Attachments

• S3210007.JPG
    S3210007.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 209

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If there is a new freight run round it’s not reflected on the workstation signalling diagram. The only thing showing is a graphic for a stop board at the end of the marine platform.
Is the level crossing at the junction closed, or to be closed, as it’s no longer shown on the future signalling diagram?

(Posted before I saw the latest photograph.)

Another question regarding the signalling diagram, would they normally show any details within a private terminal, or just the stop board?

Last edited:

Sunset route

Is the level crossing at the junction closed, or to be closed, as it’s no longer shown on the future signalling diagram?

(Posted before I saw the latest photograph.)

Another question regarding the signalling diagram, would they normally show any details within a private terminal, or just the stop board?

None of the level crossing equipment is shown to of been renewed in the photo above and missing from the signalling diagram and I believe it only provides access to Newhaven Harbour signalbox, so that would suggest the crossing is closing.

There is no corresponding stop board out from marine siding so updates would be required to the signalling (which could just mean stop boards) before any fright sidings come into use.

trainmania100

Established Member
The level crossing was closed today, there were metal fences put across (the metal ones that stand up and have vertical metal bars) so nobody could cross there. Of course, all the signaller, or anyone at all, would need to move the metal barriers to go through

Elwyn

I worked in Newhaven in the 1970s and in those days train loads of old ballast used to be brought to the sidings at the Marine station (alongside the passenger platform). At least 1 siding stretched way out on to the east beach and the spoil was unloaded there. Presumably either to reclaim land, prevent erosion, or perhaps just to dump it.

There was some sort of shunter based there at I am sure there was also some sort of run round facility for it to operate effectively.

trainmania100

Established Member
Not exactly on topic, but related to this discussion (and I didn't feel it was worthy of a new thread) but the UWC at Tide Mills is to be closed and replaced with a new pedestrian bridge.

Link to article:

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/new...footbridge-at-newhaven-s-tide-mills-1-8994784

I often find quite a lot of people crossing at tide mills with their bikes, trying to get their bikes through the gates to cross, it's very dangerous crossing if people aren't careful.

A new footbridge at tide mills would give good shots of the old tide mills station provided it isn't demolished

Looking forward to it. Does anyone can confirm for me what UWC stands for? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.