• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I would have thought not. I’m trying to think of a recent permanent platform closure within a station. How about the down bay at Redhill, or was it ECS only?

Paddington Platform 13. And Euston 17 / 18. Blackfriars. I’m sure there’s more.

Closure of a terminal / bay platform in a station does trigger something called the ‘Minor Closure’ process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Paddington Platform 13. And Euston 17 / 18. Blackfriars. I’m sure there’s more.

Closure of a terminal / bay platform in a station does trigger something called the ‘Minor Closure’ process.
Can’t see for looking... :D

I was thinking of a bay closing at a small through station, but they’re good examples. Also Liverpool St in due course. Does such a ‘Minor Closure’ go through public consultation?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Can’t see for looking... :D

I was thinking of a bay closing at a small through station, but they’re good examples. Also Liverpool St in due course. Does such a ‘Minor Closure’ go through public consultation?

It’s a long time since I’ve done a minor closure (and to be honest I’m not sure it still applies, rather being subsumed by Network Change through Part G of the Network Code). Either way, it doesn’t involve public consultation.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The DfT have announced a consultation on plans to formally close Newhaven Marine:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...ation-closure/newhaven-marine-station-closure
Some remarkable £ figs in that - reinstatement tables suggests would need £1,400 worth of seats! I bet there are a few fairly well used stations that would welcome that sum spent on seating, not to mention £50k worth of toilets!

As a regular user in the 70s and 80s I recall this station was very handy - in that it offered a short and dry transfer into the departure area IIRC -, and thence easy walk to the ship, but I assume that has been negated by changes in the overall port / ferry docking location. I've not used it since the fast ferry services stopped some years ago now.

rdm111

Perhaps the facilities could be improved at Newhaven Town for ferry passengers and the Harbour station closed altogether. It is really falling into disrepair and I can't see any money being spent on it

And I know how busy Newhaven Town gets when Brighton play at home; perhaps there could be provision for a new, separate exit at the south end for ferry passengers

Facilities at the Town are dire and cramped

Easy to say if it is not your local station, otherwise hands off Newhaven Harbour!! Actually there is little wrong with Harbour station and (some) money has been spent on it - the lighting is good and the canopy is decent on the northbound side (sure it could do with a lick of paint). The bridge is in good nick too. They could do with knocking down or rebuilding the derelict building on the southbound side, but it doesn't in any way affect the operation of the station.

And if it is such a cramped experience at Newhaven Town then why not walk the 5 minutes down to Harbour!

trainmania100

Established Member
Morning chaps, popped to Newhaven beach before work this morning, noted 2 new buffer stops and track. This isn't actually connected to marine terminal yet

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_083706.jpg
    IMG_20200211_083706.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20200211_083803.jpg
    IMG_20200211_083803.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 205

trainmania100

Established Member
This is being extended to along the beach...?
If you look on Google maps, the track curves around just after leaving marine. Then just next to the end of that curve is a car park, which extends all the way to a path. The track will join up to that curve where marine currently ends, and will run all the way to the footpath where I took the above photos of the buffer stops.
I'll try get some more pictures tomorrow :)

rdm111

Came across this youtube video on Newhaven Marine. Nothing new in it although nicely put together, just stunned it has been viewed nearly half a million times since 21 January!

trainmania100

Established Member
Another pic from today if anyone's interested. In the far distance the two siding merge at a junction. Looking at Google maps and comparing, I'd say it's near enough connected now to those lines coming off marine siding. shame can't get any closer

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_082912.jpg
    IMG_20200218_082912.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 191

rf_ioliver

Because passengers can't access the ferry from the Harbour...
Easy to say if it is not your local station, otherwise hands off Newhaven Harbour!! Actually there is little wrong with Harbour station and (some) money has been spent on it - the lighting is good and the canopy is decent on the northbound side (sure it could do with a lick of paint). The bridge is in good nick too. They could do with knocking down or rebuilding the derelict building on the southbound side, but it doesn't in any way affect the operation of the station.

And if it is such a cramped experience at Newhaven Town then why not walk the 5 minutes down to Harbour!

Not quite sure why the "hate" for Newhaven Harbour station. Ok, it might be a bit strange that there's no harbour access - no idea why, but then again I haven't been down that way since the late 90s when we'd regularly use the ferry (students, beer...).

There is an industrial estate next door which some former student friends used to work at - Parker Pens IIRC were there. There also appears to be roads already constructed for an extension of this industrial estate too (or housing?) - at least looking at the latest Google map release.

In terms of passenger numbers (Wikipedia), it sees more passengers than Bishopstone and Southease, and I guess if closed then not all of these will move to Newhaven Town.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
The Parker Pen factory has long gone. There was a lot of talk about East Quay redevelopment but nothing seems to be forthcoming

A new port access road is being constructed east of the industrial estate to serve a new aggregates terminal at the Marine (if you look upthread...)

I'm not sure if there is any attaction for housing given the industrial lay of the land and the nearest retail outlets are at the Town or in Seaford.

And there is no supermarket in the town since Morrisons vacated some years ago

Dunfanaghy Rd

I take it that the aggregate terminal on the site of Marine station is now operational? I went past the junction today and both in and out roads were shiny.
OT I know, but does the Energy From Waste plant still send ash up to Acton? I thought that there was a flow but can't remember any more. Reason for asking is that Veolia are proposing a similar plant outside Alton, at the current recycling centre beside the Holybourne Oil Terminal, and I want to go to their presentation on Monday with a fact or two, if possible.
TIA
Pat

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I take it that the aggregate terminal on the site of Marine station is now operational? I went past the junction today and both in and out roads were shiny...
I’d suggest it’s probably not completely available for use, if the picture in post #405 is the condition of the sidings on the 18th. Seems there was far more than a week’s work to do.

trainmania100

Established Member
I take it that the aggregate terminal on the site of Marine station is now operational? I went past the junction today and both in and out roads were shiny.
OT I know, but does the Energy From Waste plant still send ash up to Acton? I thought that there was a flow but can't remember any more. Reason for asking is that Veolia are proposing a similar plant outside Alton, at the current recycling centre beside the Holybourne Oil Terminal, and I want to go to their presentation on Monday with a fact or two, if possible.
TIA
Pat
Marine siding is not yet finished. A driver of the route learners from Jan quoted March/April start.
The aggregate unloading hopper and conveyor was tested last Tuesday as Brett's Britannia Beaver dredger unloaded there.
Stopped off at marine yesterday and the Track at the junction was all mudded over and a temporary road surface built for vehicles to cross. So definately won't be seeing rail traffic until the level crossing is fixed. Also there's no place to load the trains yet, still a LOT of construction work going on and crossing the line at the sidings in the pictures I previously posted.

Thursday's Newhaven day aggs to Acton 6V00 is operated by DB Cargo and uses KEA wagons loaded with ash from the incinerator. It runs most Thursday's.
https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train?c=H46055&d=27/02/2020
Every other day is freightliner Mendip stone traffic.

Dunfanaghy Rd

Marine siding is not yet finished. A driver of the route learners from Jan quoted March/April start.
The aggregate unloading hopper and conveyor was tested last Tuesday as Brett's Britannia Beaver dredger unloaded there.
Stopped off at marine yesterday and the Track at the junction was all mudded over and a temporary road surface built for vehicles to cross. So definately won't be seeing rail traffic until the level crossing is fixed. Also there's no place to load the trains yet, still a LOT of construction work going on and crossing the line at the sidings in the pictures I previously posted.

Thursday's Newhaven day aggs to Acton 6V00 is operated by DB Cargo and uses KEA wagons loaded with ash from the incinerator. It runs most Thursday's.
https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train?c=H46055&d=27/02/2020
Every other day is freightliner Mendip stone traffic.

Thanks for that trainmania100.
Pat

trainmania100

Established Member
Newhaven Harbour signal box now demolished.
27th march is the fate of Newhaven town box. A road closed sign says the footpath will be shut during the very early hours of 28th (Saturday) so I expect it'll go overnight just like the harbour box.
I did stop by newhaven harbour yesterday when services were still running and it was still there

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_085340.jpg
    IMG_20200315_085340.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 133

WesternLancer

Established Member
Newhaven Harbour signal box now demolished.
27th march is the fate of Newhaven town box. A road closed sign says the footpath will be shut during the very early hours of 28th (Saturday) so I expect it'll go overnight just like the harbour box.
I did stop by newhaven harbour yesterday when services were still running and it was still there
are these boxes juts being destroyes or are any preservationists taking bits of them? I have always found the ex LBSCR boxes picturesque architecturally (saxby and farmer?) - so sad to see them go with these modernisations.

trainmania100

Established Member
are these boxes juts being destroyes or are any preservationists taking bits of them? I have always found the ex LBSCR boxes picturesque architecturally (saxby and farmer?) - so sad to see them go with these modernisations.
Bluebell railway hav had the frame out of town box, not sure if anyone else has salvaged bits but harbour box was gone just like that. Just rubble In a skip

WesternLancer

Established Member
Bluebell railway hav had the frame out of town box, not sure if anyone else has salvaged bits but harbour box was gone just like that. Just rubble In a skip
Good to hear about the frame - even if sad about the woodwork, bricks / slates etc that make up the rest.

I bet some ppl would pay c20k for the upper assembly - NR could recoup at least the costs of dismantling if they were prepared to do that - which I doubt they would be sadly....

Status
Not open for further replies.