• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunset route

That's what I thought, but I also saw a picture of a 313 at Newhaven Harbour in Modern Railways that also mentioned this in the caption - clearly this is wrong too

Thanks for clarifying

I saw that too and chuckled to myself, but I have colleagues and friends who work in the three signalboxes affected by the Lewes/Seaford branch resignalling scheme and they are very much still working there.

big all

On Moderation
there was an episode about ghost stations and there is a free taxi iff you phone the number on the information board at the station to connect between the stations but the number they phoned was not aware off the set up

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
there was an episode about ghost stations and there is a free taxi iff you phone the number on the information board at the station to connect between the stations but the number they phoned was not aware off the set up

And by the time you wait for the taxi to show up, you could have easily walked to the wasteland where the station formally was

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was just thinking recently wouldn't it be fun to do the taxi just because you are allowed to. Not sure I'd want to have an argument over it though and some how I felt that might be what would happen as there was bound to be an issue actually doing it.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Any updates on the track/signalling works on the Seaford branch please?
They're doing something in March, when the whole area will be recontrolled from Three Bridges ROC. I believe Newhaven Marine will be downgraded to a siding, and the buildings removed.
https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/lewes-works
For four days, from Thursday 7 March to Sunday 10 March, there are no trains between the following stations:
  • Wivelsfield - Lewes
  • Falmer - Lewes
  • Seaford - Lewes
  • Polegate - Lewes
  • Brighton - Falmer: A shuttle train will be replacing normal service, running every 40 minutes
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/east-sussex-passengers-advised-to-plan-ahead-this-march-as-railway-closes-for-four-days
The upgrade will see signalling control of the Lewes, Newhaven and Seaford areas moved to Network Rail’s state-of-the-art route operating centre at Three Bridges, meaning that the signal boxes at Lewes, Newhaven Town and Newhaven Harbour will close.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Any updates on the track/signalling works on the Seaford branch please?

Commissioning of the new signalling takes place in a block from close of service on Thurs 7 March until start of service Mon 11 March. All the boxes close, and Newhaven Harbour LX also closes.

Sunset route

Newhaven Town sognalbox is being downgraded to the status of crossing keeping in the modified plans, the rest remains the same.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Thank you both

Interesting (and good) that Newhaven Town box is staying for now. But why is the crossing here remaining locally controlled whilst Beach Road crossing at the Harbour will be remotely controlled - unless, Newhaven Town takes this on?

Sunset route

Newhaven town failed its risk assessment in the end, what with the road junctions, the swing bridge etc etc, but Beach Road ticked all the boxes for its recontrol.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
The building at Newhaven Marine was demolished in 2017 from memory and a new siding laid down in August 2018 (locked out of use) ready for a new aggregate terminal at some point in the future.

There was a plan to build a new road flyover into the docks as part of the redevelopment around the Marine but not sure if approved yet

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The station buildings. Unless they've already been removed?
I was pretty sure they had been, and there’s pics earlier in the thread, eg post #135. I thought you might have meant the redundant signal boxes, they don’t seem to leave them very long.

Any idea if trains will actually carry passengers to and from Newhaven Marine again? I thought the only reason that the parliamentary train ran empty was because the station building and roof were unsafe? However now that they have been removed what is stopping Southern Rail from accepting passengers? The station is now fully open with no fence and anyone can just simply walk on to the platform so i can't see any reason for them not carrying passengers on the parliamentary service again?

_toommm_

Established Member
Any idea if trains will actually carry passengers to and from Newhaven Marine again? I thought the only reason that the parliamentary train ran empty was because the station building and roof were unsafe? However now that they have been removed what is stopping Southern Rail from accepting passengers? The station is now fully open with no fence and anyone can just simply walk on to the platform so i can't see any reason for them not carrying passengers on the parliamentary service again?

Would there be any point? It's a 3 minute walk IIRC, and unless trains are genuinely going down there to turn around, then it seems a bit pointless.

Sunset route

On the the new signalling diagram it is shown as “Marine Siding” with the platform labelled “OOU” instead of a platform number and only a shunt signal (TLW1582) to come back out, that all suggests that it’s passenger carrying days are over.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
On the the new signalling diagram it is shown as “Marine Siding” with the platform labelled “OOU” instead of a platform number and only a shunt signal (TLW1582) to come back out, that all suggests that it’s passenger carrying days are over.

Doesn’t sound like it will come back. I have read it will be closed officially in the next few years. The OOU sign says it all.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Yes, if the Marine platform is labelled OOU then that's it - no more passenger trains to the Marine

As mentioned upthread, pax will have to detrain onto the down platform at the Harbour, train continues ecs to the stop board along the branch and sets back over the crossover to pick up pax from the up platform

BS56

The starter signal there was the last semophore on the whole line I think it was removed last year when the track layout was altered with the removal of the double slip and the sidings . Are there any new colour light signals being provided or are the old ones being re-controlled from Three Bridges

trainmania100

Established Member
Spot the semaphore signal !
Definitely no semaphore there now, been there a few times recently and it's gone.

There is a RDT between Newhaven town and Southerham junction some point this month, and a few tampers/stone blowers also, might be the new siding going in?

https://www.rail-record.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/1111535/28/02/19
Then heads back to the yard from southerham jn

Re aggregate plant, see attached photo. There is a new peir being built at Newhaven port where cargo ships will dock, aggs will be unloaded and bagged for brett

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_121214.jpg
    IMG_20181027_121214.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 123

Sunset route

The starter signal there was the last semophore on the whole line I think it was removed last year when the track layout was altered with the removal of the double slip and the sidings . Are there any new colour light signals being provided or are the old ones being re-controlled from Three Bridges

As I said above it’s being replaced by colour light shunt signal (TLW1582).

BS56

What I was really trying to say was apart from the new shunt signal for departures from the former marine platform what about the rest of the line from Lewes through to Seaford will this be recontrolled or the signals renewed as several of them are not really that old.

Sunset route

It’s mostly a recontrol with most of not all signals replaced like for like with new LED ones.

New main line aspects instead of shunt signals on platforms 2 and 4(country end) to turn trains back towards Eastbourne/Seaford at Lewes. Also platform 4 becomes bidirectional.

New fixed red down direction on the up line southerham Jcn side of Lewes junction.

A new Mainline aspect vice shunt signal for up moves from the down line southerham side of Lewes junction.

So in theory they should be able to turn two trains together when services are diverted between Keymer Junction and Brighton.

And that’s about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.