• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
I presume the aggregate facility can only be built once the port access road/bridge has been constructed?
Maybe, although there is plant at the harbour, the land has already been bulldozed and gritted with gravel type material, so looks like they've already got access to the land somehow. Will stop off on the way to work tomorrow and see if there's much progressing. Think there was also a crane too but can't be certain if it was for the plant or for rampion

Sunset route

Rumour from very close to the ground, says that only Lewes signalbox area will close and migrate this weekend and the two Newhaven signalboxes will migrate at a later future date (due to issues).

The “training sim” doesn’t show Newhaven Town staying as a crossing keeper position when that does close, but the displaced staff were certain that was what was supposed to be happening so maybe that’s the issue.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Very interesting and perhaps good news in some respects.
Rumour from very close to the ground, says that only Lewes signalbox area will close and migrate this weekend and the two Newhaven signalboxes will migrate at a later future date (due to issues).

The “training sim” doesn’t show Newhaven Town staying as a crossing keeper position when that does close, but the displaced staff were certain that was what was supposed to be happening so maybe that’s the issue.
Thanks for the update

Islineclear3_1

Established Member

trainmania100

Established Member
Hello people, after another trip to Newhaven marine on my way home from work (I live near Newhaven harbour so I'm your one stop shop for information)
I find out that a new road bridge is being constructed at Newhaven port that goes across the river and railway line. See attached photo.
Other than 313214 on a Seaford to Brighton service, I noted little other development work other than sand piles in a closed off construction area on both sides of the padestrian path.
What relevance to Newhaven marine is this? Well it's a new bridge over the Seaford branch line near Newhaven harbour footbridge (near the water treatment facility) and it will give access to construction traffic at Newhaven port for the development of marine dredged aggs batching wharf for dispatch by road and RAIL

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_172552.jpg
    IMG_20190415_172552.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 167

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hello people, after another trip to Newhaven marine on my way home from work (I live near Newhaven harbour so I'm your one stop shop for information)
I find out that a new road bridge is being constructed at Newhaven port that goes across the river and railway line...
The new bridge for access to the aggregates wharf has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread already. The plans were approved last summer, so this latest application to the Marine management organisation must be about the detailed method of building.

trainmania100

Established Member
The new bridge for access to the aggregates wharf has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread already. The plans were approved last summer, so this latest application to the Marine management organisation must be about the detailed method of building.
Ok thanks for confirming, news to me :lol:

Meerkat

Established Member
Does the new bridge mean both level crossings south of Harbour station can close?

trainmania100

Established Member
I noted a new red buffer stop at newhaven marine today, whilst out seeing the 387s on the Seaford branch.
On the Newhaven harbour end, of the line adjacent to the platform line, at Marine.

MarkyT

Established Member
I noted a new red buffer stop at newhaven marine today, whilst out seeing the 387s on the Seaford branch.
On the Newhaven harbour end, of the line adjacent to the platform line, at Marine.
There were white painted sleepers stacked up and chained to the rails on all three roads when I visited on the 'Sussex Slammer' in 2004.
newhaven.JPG

Dren Ahmeti

387s on the Seafords?
GatEx aren’t using their stock as it’s a weekend and there’s a block somewhere iirc.
Southern need the capacity for an event at the Amex, so instead of the 313’s, they borrow the 387’s.

Fun fact, as far as I understand, local agreements prevent the 387’s from taking more than Notch 2 of power on the Seafords, otherwise the whole line might find itself without a power supply when it all goes boom!

trainmania100

Established Member
Following another quick visit to marine please find attached a diagram of the new road bridge crossing the railway line , to be finished 2020

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_154811.jpg
    IMG_20190511_154811.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 160

trainmania100

Established Member
Please see attached blue line indicates where the new bridge will be. It connects the roundabout at the top, to Newhaven marine port. Construction already underway as there is a big piling drill there and mud bank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190511-201432.png
    Screenshot_20190511-201432.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 144

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
yes, preparatory ground works have commenced both sides of the railway and Mill Creek

Although the bridge might be a good thing commercially, it will spoil the view eastwards from Oyster footbridge towards Seaford

Its a shame the new points to the Marine can't be reconnected to the frame inside Newhaven Harbour box, at least temporarily - then at least trains can reverse there again instead of blocking the single line section towards Seaford

Status
Not open for further replies.