• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member

Newhaven Marine will close to passengers on 22 October 2020

RAILWAY station will formally close next month, 14 years after it was last served by a passenger train.

The end of the line for Newhaven Marine was confirmed by the Office of Rail and Road, which ratified the Department for Transport’s decision to close the station following a public consultation.

The port town of Newhaven has two other stations, which are fully operational.

The Argus:

Passenger services at Newhaven Marine were suspended in 2006 due to safety concerns about the dangerous condition of its canopy. Both the canopy and the station building were demolished in 2017, leaving the site derelict.

A single daily service heading to Brighton called at the station until early 2019, although no passengers were able to get on or off the train.

This so-called parliamentary train was a requirement for the station to continue to be officially open. Several stations across Britain are kept open despite being rarely used because it is easier to arrange for a train to stop infrequently at them than obtain permission for closure.

The DfT said the closure of Newhaven Marine on October 22 will allow the track to be used as sidings and for freight trains.

Former transport minister and ex-Lewes MP Norman Baker described the consultation as a “joke”.

Speaking to The Argus newspaper earlier this year, he said: “The station was demolished years ago and now they’re holding a consultation to close it.

mde

Newhaven Marine will close to passengers on 22 October 2020
The formal notices to the Department for Transport, Govia Thameslink Railway, and Network Rail, along with the ratification itself are available on the ORR website: https://www.orr.gov.uk/guidance-com...ess-network/station-and-depot-access/closures

Office of Rail and Road said:
Closure Ratification Notice – Newhaven Marine station
1. On 22 July 2020 the Department for Transport asked the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) to ratify the proposal to close Newhaven Marine station.
  1. Further to s32(8) of the Railways Act 2005 (the Act), I am satisfied that:
    a) there has been no failure or defect in the consultation; and
    b) the proposal satisfies the criteria set out in the relevant part of the closure guidance issued under the Act.
  2. Having considered the overall proposal, I hereby ratify the closure of Newhaven
Marine station.
4. Under s33(2) of the Act, ORR may “impose such requirements relevant to the proposal as it considers appropriate”. I do not consider it appropriate to impose such requirements in this case.
5. Under ORR’s powers in s32(9)(b) of the Act, I require the operator of Newhaven Marine station to display this notice at the station for a period of 4 weeks following the date of this notice.
6. In addition, I require the operators of the stations in the area affected by the closure – Brighton, Lewes, London Victoria, Newhaven Harbour and Newhaven Town– to display this notice at those stations for the same period.

Of note, the DfT's request for ratification gives copies of the adverts taken out in the various newspapers, and indicates that there was 27 responses to the consultation, of which 15 expressed support for the plan to formally close the station.

Department for Transport said:
Fifteen respondents expressed support for the proposed station closure. Whilst supporting commentary was diverse, 4 responses had a common theme in their support for the freight plans outlined in Network Rail’s proposal. Two of these respondents highlighted that their support was conditional on the realisation of the Newhaven Port development project and the benefits this would bring to freight. Two respondents queried why this consultation had not taken place earlier given the length of time services have been suspended at the station, whilst at least one other voiced support for the proposals based on Network Rail’s value for money assessment.

Of the 4 respondents who opposed the proposals, 2 did so on the basis that Newhaven Marine’s closure may have a negative impact on the quality of local rail services that are available in the future. Similarly, the remaining 2 respondents that opposed the proposals raised concerns about closing any station given that stations and the railways they serve represent a method of responsible and sustainable transportation. Both sets of concerns are underpinned by an assumption that a restored Newhaven Marine would offer some environmental, social or economic benefit to the local area, either immediately or in the future.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The formal notices to the Department for Transport, Govia Thameslink Railway, and Network Rail, along with the ratification itself are available on the ORR website: https://www.orr.gov.uk/guidance-com...ess-network/station-and-depot-access/closures

Of note, the DfT's request for ratification gives copies of the adverts taken out in the various newspapers, and indicates that there was 27 responses to the consultation, of which 15 expressed support for the plan to formally close the station.

Interesting that London Victoria is "in the area"! Presumably as the major terminus they feel that passers by are more likely to see it?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only 12 objectors, as we already knew from the DfT’s July announcement.

One of which thought closure might cause “traffic problems”, I wonder if he was thinking of the new aggregates terminal traffic, which could have happened anyway, whether the station was closed or not.

He also thought there were “heritage reasons” Presumably never been to the location then...

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Only 12 objectors, as we already knew from the DfT’s July announcement.

One of which thought closure might cause “traffic problems”, I wonder if he was thinking of the new aggregates terminal traffic, which could have happened anyway, whether the station was closed or not.

He also thought there were “heritage reasons” Presumably never been to the location then...

Perhaps he also did not know that a new road to the new terminal has been under construction over the past year and due to open shortly - thus doing away with all the "traffic problems", i.e. heavy freight lorries thundering up and down the residential area of Beach Road...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Perhaps he also did not know that a new road to the new terminal has been under construction over the past year and due to open shortly - thus doing away with all the "traffic problems", i.e. heavy freight lorries thundering up and down the residential area of Beach Road...
My thoughts as well. I expect they‘ll usually get a few knee-jerk objections that show the author hasn't really understood the whole picture. The above linked newspaper report includes a commenter who even now, and after so many years, seems to think it will mean problems for the ferry service...

Dunfanaghy Rd

Is the span across Mill Creek the one shown in 'Mega Shippers'? It was moved from Cleveland Bridge Co. to Newhaven, so I imagine it is.
Pat

class717

Was wondering whether the platform faces were still extant.
I believe they are, a peak time service used to go into Marine empty and back out into service starting at Harbour pre-coronavirus. This service will resume from the December timetable change.

See https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P79263/2020-12-16/detailed which becomes https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P52503/2020-12-16/detailed

Also from the December timetable change, Harbour will only get 8 trains a day into Seaford, and 9 trains per day into Brighton I believe (1 an hour, in peak hours only, services that stop at Southease will not call and Harbour and vice versa to increase turn around time at Seaford, plus the service mentioned above) on weekdays. The one daily Seaford to London Victoria service will resume, but will not call at Harbour.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I believe they are, a peak time service used to go into Marine empty and back out into service starting at Harbour pre-coronavirus. This service will resume from the December timetable change.

See https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P79263/2020-12-16/detailed which becomes https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P52503/2020-12-16/detailed

Also from the December timetable change, Harbour will only get 8 trains a day into Seaford, and 9 trains per day into Brighton I believe (1 an hour, in peak hours only, services that stop at Southease will not call and Harbour and vice versa to increase turn around time at Seaford, plus the service mentioned above) on weekdays. The one daily Seaford to London Victoria service will resume, but will not call at Harbour.
Does this mean that with no call at Harbour there will be no direct London Train to 'connect' with the overnight boat from Dieppe? ;) (tho boat arr 08.30am by the looks of it, so I suspect the direct train has no connection in any case...)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does this mean that with no call at Harbour there will be no direct London Train to 'connect' with the overnight boat from Dieppe? ;) (tho boat arr 08.30am by the looks of it, so I suspect the direct train has no connection in any case...)
No, because “Newhaven Town” is the correct station for the ferries. A fairly regular topic of this thread over the last few years...

Has what was left of Newhaven Marine station been demolished now?
The station building was fully demolished by mid 2017, but post #135 shows the situation by mid 2018.
There was only one platform face and it’s still there. It’s still needed to support the large concrete hardstanding that is still in place in the area where the station building and combined (original) ferry terminal was.

The current Google satellite view is up to date, you can fairly easily see the lighter coloured footprint of where the station and terminal were demolished.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
No, because “Newhaven Town” is the correct station for the ferries. A fairly regular topic of this thread over the last few years...

The station building was fully demolished by mid 2017, but post #135 shows the situation by mid 2018.

There was only one platform face and it’s still there. It’s still needed to support the large concrete hardstanding that is still in place in the area where the station building and combined (original) ferry terminal was.

The current Google satellite view is up to date, you can fairly easily see the lighter coloured footprint of where the station and terminal were demolished.
Thanks for correcting me - I seem to always get them muddled even tho over the years I have used all 3 stations in Newhaven!

SNDave

I just had a look on Google Maps. It takes 7mins to walk from Harbour to Town station. Considering the number of people using Harbour station (virtually 0) is there any real need to keep Harbour open at all? To me it really seems like a pointless exercise stopping trains there...

Southern Dvr

I just had a look on Google Maps. It takes 7mins to walk from Harbour to Town station. Considering the number of people using Harbour station (virtually 0) is there any real need to keep Harbour open at all? To me it really seems like a pointless exercise stopping trains there...
Trains usually pass at Harbour as it is single line between Harbour and Seaford. May as well leave the station in situ if the trains are going to be stopping there anyway.

najaB

Veteran Member
Considering the number of people using Harbour station (virtually 0) is there any real need to keep Harbour open at all? To me it really seems like a pointless exercise stopping trains there...
This way to the slippery slope, everyone...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Newhaven Harbour seems to have around 50,000 entries/exits per year and Newhaven Town around 300,000 (using ORR figures). Unless Harbour is somehow extremely expensive to run doesn't seem much point in closing a station that well used.

SNDave

Trains usually pass at Harbour as it is single line between Harbour and Seaford. May as well leave the station in situ if the trains are going to be stopping there anyway.
Oh I see! I thought the majority of trains pass each other somewhere between Southease and N.Town nowadays

Gloster

Established Member
Newhaven Harbour seems to have around 50,000 entries/exits per year and Newhaven Town around 300,000 (using ORR figures). Unless Harbour is somehow extremely expensive to run doesn't seem much point in closing a station that well used.

How many of these are people who think that the Harbour station is the one for the ferry, a traffic that will slowly decline?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

That was seriously considered in 2006. It’s taken 13 years to close a station that didn’t have any passengers, so closing one that did have passengers would have taken rather longer!

berneyarms

Established Member
How many of these are people who think that the Harbour station is the one for the ferry, a traffic that will slowly decline?
It’s a traffic that has been in decline for years.

I cannot imagine that it’s in any way shape or form a material number.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The new road and bridge to the harbour side area is designed to allow for additional light industry etc. Probably premature to consider closure.

Although, in the 5 years or so this thread has been running I don’t recall any serious evidence for closure of “Newhaven Harbour” station, I suspect the thread title was being a bit mischievous...

But now that the closure has been ratified and completed, is there much point in this thread now?

It seems a majority of the last few pages had become something of a general chat area about freight movements (and photography of them) in wider Sussex, IMHO if operations at the new freight terminal are now settled down surely that subject should be taken elsewhere?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Thanks for clarifying. A few years since I've been along the Seaford branch.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

It’s a traffic that has been in decline for years.

I cannot imagine that it’s in any way shape or form a material number.

Surprisingly, I believe that this ferry route may not totally disappear for a long time as according to the Seat61 website, this is the only way to get across to mainland Europe if you are travelling with a dog or other pet as a foot passenger.

Hophead

Established Member

Harbour is handy for the light industrial units nearby on Beach Road, there's a few houses as well. I'd suggest these provide the bulk of the station's users.

Status
Not open for further replies.