• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of the Class 89

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
Progress for 89001 yesterday as the pan was raised onto the energised wires for the first time in 20+ years, the loco then moved a short distance under its own power, no reports so far of an electrical blackout in Birmingham ....., I understand a short video is/will be available on youtube

Roast Veg

Established Member
Yes I watched the video yesterday. I think it rolls back further than it moves forwards!

zn1

Yes I watched the video yesterday. I think it rolls back further than it moves forwards!
SHES ALIVE....movement under own power....89001 is a hard hard lady......that video bought a tear to my eye...sad old git that i am....well played everyone who made this possible, what next ?

Strathclyder

Established Member
I know it's been said already, but it bears repeating: smashing good work by all involved in getting this far with her. Still quite a bit of work still to be done of course, but you've all earned a pint/brew/beverage of choice for reaching this major milestone. Will continue to follow this thread with great interest.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Looking excellent, is that her fully restored or simply able to move a bit under her own power? The video description doesn't really say.

superjohn

Looking excellent, is that her fully restored or simply able to move a bit under her own power? The video description doesn't really say.
The AC Loco Group have said the next stage is for GSM-R and OTMR to be fitted so it would seem full restoration is the case. The 5mph limit within Soho depot is the restriction rather than the state of the loco.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The AC Loco Group have said the next stage is for GSM-R and OTMR to be fitted so it would seem full restoration is the case. The 5mph limit within Soho depot is the restriction rather than the state of the loco.

Thank you, that's brilliant news and credit to the team for restoring '001 to an operation state.

Hopefully she will get the opportunity for some fast running out on the mainline before too long pending the fitting of the addition equipment of course.

nlogax

Established Member
A mixed rake of Mk2s and 3s would be ideal for a tour behind this. North up the WCML, turn right at Carstairs, spot of lunch in Edinburgh and back down the ECML in time for last orders.

This is quickly turning into something for the speculation thread :D

xotGD

Established Member
A return to Bradford would be appropriate.

Might as well visit Skipton and Ilkley while it is in the area...

Nicks

Really impressive work with the 89. It was a shame they sold the 86s and 87. I know both classes are still working commercially so they still had a significant value, maybe they can buy examples back at the scrap price when their working life is over.

captainbigun

There are strict instructions for movement within the depot. At that point polarity was being checked, and subsequently corrected. This was movement on a single motor. Subsequently one group, or bogie, has checked out OK with movement of a couple of feet.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
With thanks to @ExRes:
89001 moved from Soho LMD back to Barrow Hill LIP today hauled by ROG 37884.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 89 will be returning to the mainline with Locomotive Services Ltd at Crewe. Statement from their Facebook page
Locomotive Services Ltd & Electric Traction Ltd are pleased to announce a new partnership with one goal in mind …. to return 89001 ‘Avocet’ to full mainline operational condition.

Whilst the locomotive will remain under the ownership of Electric Traction Ltd, Locomotive Services Ltd have agreed to fund the final works required to complete the rebuild of 89001. This final push over the finishing line will see this unique Locomotive once again haul a full rake of Intercity coaches on the mainline, following fitment of mandatory safety systems and completion of other works.

Once required certifications are in place, Avocet will operate with Locomotive Services Limited for a period of five years, predominately hauling rail tours for https://inter-city.co.uk/

LSL’s AC Locomotive Engineer, Robert Fenner commented;
“I can’t believe this opportunity has arisen, this is one locomotive I’ve always been interested in as my grandad worked in Crewe Works whilst she was built and with it being the only example ever built just makes this opportunity even more special. It will be an absolute pleasure working with the team at Electric Traction Ltd to accomplish their goal to see 89001 operational on the mainline again and to give all of you out there the chance to experience 89001 on the mainline with our Intercity program will be 100% worth all the effort”.

Electric Traction Ltd’s Glenn Edwards said;
“We’ve worked long and hard on 89001 since purchasing the locomotive in 2006. Being unique has caused plenty of challenges for our technical team but we’ve always had mainline running as a long-term objective. With the assistance of our partners at Locomotive Service Ltd we will now be able to achieve this. We’d also like to thank the AC Locomotive Group volunteers who have helped out by working on 89001 at Barrow Hill.”

We will provide regular updates on the progress of the Locomotive in coming months, leading up to an announcement of a first tour date for the Locomotive. In the meantime visit https://inter-city.co.uk/ to view our fantastic 2022 programme and please support the brand by travelling with us, so that we can continue to invest in UK Railway Heritage.

The Badger will return.
Badger, badger, mushroom

alexl92

Established Member
A long-term hire to LSL would make sense for all parties though. The group have a legitimate reason to overhaul the locomotive which they're obviously so passionate about (rightly so given its unique status) to main line standard and earn a fee towards its upkeep. LSL get one of the only two 125mph, intercity-liveried electric locos in the country to run with their MK3 loco-hauled set & DVT without having to fund a major overhaul on a unique piece of kit.

I know LSL have 86/87/90s but I'd imagine the ability to run a charter along the ECML within Class 91/MK4 timings would be valuable for pathing purposes.

I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but it makes sense to me!

(Making me think... would love to see LSL pick up a Cl91 but I bet it won't happen!)
Wow… I love it when a speculative post turns out to be accurate!

Trackman

Established Member
Personally i would prefer a run up the WCML from Euston to Edinburgh then back to the cross via the ECML
It might do, It had gauging problems in the past and was banned from Euston and north of Carlisle but I'm led to believe the issues with infrastructure may have been sorted.