• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future ticket gating

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'm sure many will think this is a good thing, however in recent years, certainly compared to 2007-2008, ticket gate installation seems to have stagnated a bit. The only gating scheme I know has been completed this year is at Kings Lynn (FCC), back in April / May. This, coupled with GA's plans for Billericay, Chadwell Heath and Brentwood are the only plans I've heard of in recent times for installation. I'm aware that inevitably stations suitable for gating are running out, but does anyone know of any other plans, aside from the ongoing York and Sheffield problems?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Edmonton Green was recently gated - though I am unsure of what other stations were on the Enfield/Cheshunt lines. Though its worth noting that they only got gated after GA come in but im unsure if it was always planned

tsr

Established Member
Coulsdon South and Merstham have relatively recently been gated. Reigate has had gates for perhaps a couple of years (maybe not that long), but proper use has only just started. I'm not sure of any plans to further gate Southern stations. They've started more manual checks in the Peak at a few ungated entrances to some stations.

HH

Established Member
Expect to see a bunch after the new franchises are won. Unsurprisingly there is a link...

Lampshade

Established Member
No, but will be when the station upgrade is finished in about 2015. The West Coast bid document makes mention of the DfTs desire for bidders to come up with gating solutions on the WCML.

If they're using an architecture company to assess stations I'll pay said company double to come to the conclusion that gating Preston is impossible.

Established Member
13 stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro are due to have gating by the end of the year.

As for York, it'll be highly unlikely that gates will be installed there.

scrapy

Established Member
Huddersfield, Liverpool Lime St (Platforms 1-6) and Manchester Victoria set to be gated in next couple of years. I would expect a few more when the next Northern/TPE franchise starts.

iphone76

I'm not sure how advanced the plans for Chadwell Heath and Brentwood are, however, there are no signs of barriers being installed at Billericay. I'm sure it was a committment to have them in place before the Olympics. (28 days)

wilsontown

As for York, it'll be highly unlikely that gates will be installed there.

I certainly hope so, and I can't see how they would do it, given the narrow main entrance, the rear entrance for the NRM and car parks, and the York Tap.

Established Member
I certainly hope so, and I can't see how they would do it, given the narrow main entrance, the rear entrance for the NRM and car parks, and the York Tap.

That, and also the opposition from the council and residents. Very unlikely.

David10

I can't see how they would do it, given the narrow main entrance, the rear entrance for the NRM and car parks, and the York Tap.
Could be done, main entrance would require remodelling, a 3 lane gate on the western end of the footbridge, carpark entrance would be closed and pub would be accessible only from the street or platform not both. But unlike Sheffield which goes on, gating York is dead and buried.

dvboy

Established Member
If they're using an architecture company to assess stations I'll pay said company double to come to the conclusion that gating Preston is impossible.

Can't see Wolverhampton getting them either without a remodelling.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Wasn't Finsbury Park finished earlier this year too for FCC, or was that last year?

Last year.

It will all change again when the new platforms open, and there's an all new bridge installed with lifts for all platforms.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I would expect a few more when the next Northern/TPE franchise starts.

Indeed, I'm surprised that Hull isn't gated, the layout is still exactly the same as it was under the previous closed stations regime, even down to the gates and fences! Given the average fares values it must be a good candidate.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That, and also the opposition from the council and residents. Very unlikely.

I think the council's objection on planning grounds was to the gateline being within the trainshed. If the scheme were amended so that the route in was through what is currently the TVM area of the travel centre, and the exit through the shop opposite (ie gateline inside the buildings) I think that would overcome the planning issue at least.

PR1Berske

Established Member

Off the top of my head, you could barrier the 1/2 overpass. Itd be hard to gate 3/4 without giving WHSmith a complex.

mattyb1405

No, but will be when the station upgrade is finished in about 2015. The West Coast bid document makes mention of the DfTs desire for bidders to come up with gating solutions on the WCML.

A gating solution? Sure Coventry used to have gates a long while back ?!

As for Birmingham New Street, hopefully any future lifts connecting the platforms will come up correct side of any ticket barriers to enable ticket checks!!!

exile

Established Member
Huddersfield, Liverpool Lime St (Platforms 1-6) and Manchester Victoria set to be gated in next couple of years. I would expect a few more when the next Northern/TPE franchise starts.

Only 1 to 6? Even given the Virgin non-automatic gate on 7 that still leaves 8 and 9 not only gate-free but with no ticket checking at all.

A gating solution? Sure Coventry used to have gates a long while back ?!

They did but Central Trains was the only one funding them as Virgin wouldnt as they dont operate gates. As Virgin Trains is the main operator at COV Central Train removed them.

Lampshade

Established Member
Only 1 to 6? Even given the Virgin non-automatic gate on 7 that still leaves 8 and 9 not only gate-free but with no ticket checking at all.

Most services from 1-6 are first stop Edge Hill, it's only a mile. LM, EMT and TPE services are first stop Liverpool South Parkway which is already gated, so Lime Street - Widnes/Warrington Central is more than enough time to check all tickets.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Last I heard was that the idea for New St is to do a similar thing to Euston on it and not call the train platform until it is fairly close to the station. The platforms are meant to be gated too.

SS4

Established Member
Can't see Wolverhampton getting them either without a remodelling.

Nor me. It's a nightmare everyone funneling down the narrow passageway combined with the ticket machines and shops *shudder*

Birmingham International could have them at the top of the stairs, even if they were only active for major events at the NEC you'd still get a good crowd.

chris89

Established Member
Nor me. It's a nightmare everyone funneling down the narrow passageway combined with the ticket machines and shops *shudder*

Birmingham International could have them at the top of the stairs, even if they were only active for major events at the NEC you'd still get a good crowd.

When Wolverhampton is busy it is hell getting onto or off the platforms due to only one entrance.

For International that would be the best place for them to go. Another station that might be difficult for ticket barriers is Stafford, but am unsure about that.

Chris

exile

Established Member
Most services from 1-6 are first stop Edge Hill, it's only a mile. LM, EMT and TPE services are first stop Liverpool South Parkway which is already gated, so Lime Street - Widnes/Warrington Central is more than enough time to check all tickets.

True, but many stoppers terminate at 8 or 9.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'm sure many will think this is a good thing, however in recent years, certainly compared to 2007-2008, ticket gate installation seems to have stagnated a bit. The only gating scheme I know has been completed this year is at Kings Lynn (FCC), back in April / May. This, coupled with GA's plans for Billericay, Chadwell Heath and Brentwood are the only plans I've heard of in recent times for installation. I'm aware that inevitably stations suitable for gating are running out, but does anyone know of any other plans, aside from the ongoing York and Sheffield problems?

Cheers

The entrance to Waterloo East from Waterloo main is in the process of being done - which will make Waterloo East completely gated.

AndyHudds

Not really sure where they are going to placed at Huddersfield to be effective.Once you bought your ticket from the ticket office your guided onto the platform, behind the meat head revenue protection officers, through a small set of doors. There isn't any room for them by the small doors through onto platform 1,so once you've bought your ticket they're unecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.