• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future train driver jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ackers159

First post, so apologies in advance if its in the wrong section or been posted before. Last month I was travelling the line from Wellington (Shropshire) and got talking to the conductor about his job and what is the best way in, he told me that London Midland are taking on trainee train drivers towards the end of this year. Has anyone from here who maybe works for LM heard these rumours before and is there any point in pre-empting with a speculative CV.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paulbescot

I know someone that is a caonductor with LM.

He applied for the trainee drivers job late last year, went to a selection day, and was only recently told he would be starting as a trainee driver in November, so I would guess they are the jobs the conductor was talking about, that are now all filled.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like no trainee LM drivers jobs for the immenent future (Im gutted, I wanted on too!)

ackers159

Thanks for the replies lads, Paul i think i've come to the conclusion that to get any where near a train driver job you need to be in the business? I'm now looking at engineering jobs and hopefully sometime in the future i'll get my wish. Cherry_Picker, good advice, now looking at the right address to send it to.

A-driver

Established Member
Thanks for the replies lads, Paul i think i've come to the conclusion that to get any where near a train driver job you need to be in the business?

Not at all. Loads and loads of trainee drivers are off the street with no railway experience. Seems tat companies prefer outsiders to internal recruiting as if they recruit from existing staff then they need to replace them.

You just need to find the right companies. As a rule companies like southeastern, southern, SWT will not recruit qualified drivers for various reasons and so take on loads of trainees, many of which come off the street. First group companies tend to take on some trainees and some qualifieds if they need drivers quickly (which their poor management means they often do!) but they again take a fair number or trainees off the street. London midland tend to take on more qualified drivers and do recruit internally more than externally. Other companies like virgin, FGW HSS, east coast, cross county etc never as far as I know take on trainees from outside, they do recruit internally on occasion but tend to rely on getting qualifieds in (they are seen as the better driving jobs as they don't do any work(!) compared to us suburban drivers and they tend to get better pay and conditions).

Be careful with the assumption that getting a job in the industry will get you into driving quicker as its not always the case. I know for a fact that southern will sometimes train platform staff to be drivers but tend not to take that many drivers from conductor or junior management grades as it creates a bigger headache to replace their original jobs. Nowadays new drivers are very often taken in from outside the industry.

the sniper

Established Member
There is a drivers course later in the year at LM, but those on it have already been informed and I think it's internal only. I believe LM have only recruited internally for trainee drivers for a good few years now.

ackers159

A-driver, thank you for all your information, really appreciated. Typically the area I'm now living is covered by LM, Arriva and soon to be First group. I know most people think that if driving is a dream job then you should be willing to relocate, however after 22 years of moving around and my daughter on her fifth different school, it's time to settle down. I'll just have to hope these companies change their hiring needs.

The sniper, I guess that must have been what the LM conductor I was talking to meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.