• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

G&WR accommodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireftrm

Anyone able to advise of nice places to stay within walking distance of G&WR stations - preferably with a pub (real ale) nearby too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fireftrm

yes seen that, though really not a helpful page as it is clearly a list of B&Bs / self-catering who are not put there as recommended by the railway, rather those who pay to be on the list. It includes none of the hotels along the line which I have found - but I want to know from people who have been and actually stayed in some of the places, so can give opinions of the quality, price and location.

fireftrm

Not a problem CarltonA - just that I had the website details, which aren't much help in themselves. So can anyone help with personal opinions, or local knowledge

I think I'd probably use Cheltenham as a base - you can get a bus (or a couple of mile walk) out to Racecourse station, the other stations don't tend to have too much near them...check on TripAdvisor or similar - when you're sorted let me know and I'll give you some pointers on the beer front ;)

fireftrm

Hi 4141 - I had basically decided upon Cheltenham as the only other choices are in Winchcombe or Toddington and no rooms - so any beer suggestions welcomed!

AndrewE

Established Member
CAMRA used to publish a book called "Room at the Inn" which gave me some lovely places to stay when away from home for work.
Now I would look on the whatpub.com website and see if any of the pubs look promising...
You can filter by "accommodation" and (as an example) it shows 3 within a mile of Winchcombe station.
Good luck
A

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Could always pack a tent.....

Some pubs will let you camp in the beer garden for a small fee, especially if they will be getting some trade out of you n the process!

Hi 4141 - I had basically decided upon Cheltenham as the only other choices are in Winchcombe or Toddington and no rooms - so any beer suggestions welcomed!
The Sandford Ale House right at the London end of High Street is a good starter - if you manage to work your way through all his beers the Strand just 50 yards down the road is good too...and the Swan opposite...and the Vine about 20 yards further on :) - I'd avoid the Wetherspoons round the corner though!
Hope that's a start!

fireftrm

Thanks all - the suggestions had already been tried and I have decided not to visit - none of the pubs with accommodation are available and Cheltenham hotels are too expensive for a gala trip (at all over £100 - HI Express being over £150!) so not bothering. If I was there by car then there would be more choice, but local accommodation to the railway is virtually non-existent, full, or over-priced. Wensleydale instead a fortnight before - great beer and a B&B for less than half the price, within walking distance of Leyburn station and Northallerton a short walk to the railway, all easier overall. G&WR will have to await a better public transport link, or a car visit in the future.

bradford758

Ah you didn't mention it was for the gala, not that there would be much different. Have never stayed anywhere near, has been near GCHQ or in Gloucester. Also nor many recommend pubs in Cheltenham (many closed).

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Thanks all - the suggestions had already been tried and I have decided not to visit - none of the pubs with accommodation are available and Cheltenham hotels are too expensive for a gala trip (at all over £100 - HI Express being over £150!) so not bothering. If I was there by car then there would be more choice, but local accommodation to the railway is virtually non-existent, full, or over-priced. Wensleydale instead a fortnight before - great beer and a B&B for less than half the price, within walking distance of Leyburn station and Northallerton a short walk to the railway, all easier overall. G&WR will have to await a better public transport link, or a car visit in the future.
Sorry to hear that, maybe you'll make it when the Broadway extension opens...mind you, the accommodation that end would be expensive too.
Enjoy Wensleydale though!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If it was for this weekend it will be expensive as it was a bank holiday. You missed out on a good gala by not going.

The GWR is easy on public transport as there are regular buses from the station front to the racecourse ( service D) followed by a 10 minute walk thorugh the racecourse grounds ( hilly) to the station. There are good fares and a good service form Birmingham so i might consider staying in Brum and training it in on the morning

This weekend they ran a vintage ( and free) double decker to and form the racecourse station to the mainline station.

fireftrm

The gala is the last weekend in July and the hotels are for then, not this last weekend. As for stopping in Birmingham that would ruin the whole experience of a good day out followed by a beer, bed, breakfast and back to the railway. Thanks anyway - maybe another time if I can find reasonably priced accommodation, a friend has come to the same exact decision - without us conferring!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The gala is the last weekend in July and the hotels are for then, not this last weekend. As for stopping in Birmingham that would ruin the whole experience of a good day out followed by a beer, bed, breakfast and back to the railway. Thanks anyway - maybe another time if I can find reasonably priced accommodation, a friend has come to the same exact decision - without us conferring!

try Gloucester - a short journey by train and a nice town if less genteel than Cheltenham. There is a Weatherpoons Hotel there and they are reasonable at around £50 per night.

Last edited:

fireftrm

Hi thanks for that - will think for the next time. When visiting I like to have the train during the day and be able to walk to the hotel/b&b with a pub in walking distance too. Stopping miles away puts it all out of interest for me. Never mind, as I said Wensleydale booked, short walk to the hotel and pubs-a-plenty. The G&WR has so far defeated my desire to enjoy a weekend away of locos and good beer, loads of other railways to choose from though.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hi thanks for that - will think for the next time. When visiting I like to have the train during the day and be able to walk to the hotel/b&b with a pub in walking distance too. Stopping miles away puts it all out of interest for me. Never mind, as I said Wensleydale booked, short walk to the hotel and pubs-a-plenty. The G&WR has so far defeated my desire to enjoy a weekend away of locos and good beer, loads of other railways to choose from though.

I would say you will struggle in the area of the country the GWR is based. it is very rural outside of Cheltenham and there are no large towns and the biggest, Bishops Cleave, doesn't have a station on the line! Greet is about the only other place en route but i bet it will be really expensive. I have stayed in the area ( not for the railway) and Cheltenham was far too expensive so ended up in Gloucester.

Looking a bit further afield might make it a more reasonably priced trip. Otherwise it will have to be a long day trip or a tent or something!

Last edited:

fireftrm

I've spent a lot of time in the area - Moreton in Marsh, so know it reasonably, but was very surprised at the price of hotels, B&Bs etc. Not worth paying for the gala, maybe a passing visit one day - in the meantime I will concentrate my enjoyment where I can afford to!

Status
Not open for further replies.