G4S in Manchester

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by island, 1 Jul 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. island

island Established Member

I know there was a thread a while back but I can't find it.

My wife was refused access to platform 14 at Manchester Pic today by G4S/Northern staff on presenting an off-peak single from London Terminals to Manchester Stns, on the grounds that "you've already arrived at Manchester Stations so this ticket is used up". She explained that she wanted to get to Deansgate (one of the four stations in the Manchester Stns group) but he wasn't having it. Fortunately I was just ahead of her and after some argument managed to convince the guy to let her pass.

Given that he had just allowed me through with an identical ticket, this implies that the staff member was either quite incompetent (both not knowing DGT is part of Manchester Stns and also failing to inspect my ticket properly) or was attempting to harass my wife into buying an extra and unnecessary ticket in the expectation that she would submit.

2. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

The ticket barriers at Portsmouth & Southsea swallow PORTSMOUTH STNS tickets when I enquired about it I got told you can't use them for onward travel to Portsmouth Harbour and when I mentioned that the barriers at Waterloo return London Terminals tickets I was told I was lying. :(

3. Captain Speaking

Captain Speaking Established Member

He was totally out of order. I hope you reported him - if not, he'll carry on doing the same.

4. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

The same G4S staff at both Piccadilly and Victoria have tried to take tickets saying Manchester CTLZ off passengers, which are valid on the Metrolink within the city centre.

For reference you can buy a ticket to the destination of Deansgate opposed to Manchester STNs but the fare may not be the same.

5. 185

185 Established Member

G4S (they were Burns Security at the time) turned away legendary Arriva Trains Northern conductor Dennis Ledger, the week Arriva took over Northern Spirit in 2000, their words we're "don't lie to me, you're not getting a free ride Mr Arriva bus driver, now jog on..."

Dennis was only too happy to oblige and the 1408 Liverpool sat there in Plat 14 for 45 minutes :)

Whoopsy.

6. Lampshade

Lampshade Established Member

What's annoying is they've now got Northern uniforms but with G4S on the ID card, it's a lot harder to estimate their incompetence.

7. island

Can't unfortunately; no name badge. I will write to Northern quoting date and time but there were ten or so of them so they won't be able to narrow it down.
    Not from London Terminals you can't. The only fares defined between London Terminals and Deansgate G-Mex are VWC & CONNECTNS advances. A walk-up ticket is issued to Manchester Stns.

On a side point, it seems to be impossible to travel from Stockport to Deansgate on only one standard-class ticket, as the only available routes are VIRGIN TRNSONLY (who don't serve DGT) and TPE ONLY (which only has first-class fares)!

8. Captain Speaking

I frequently travel from Wilmslow to Deansgate, and that's what I request at the ticket office. My ticket always shows the destination 'Manchester Stations'.

9. Lampshade

On NFM08 it's the same if you put in MAN, MCV or MCO, it just classes it as Manchester STNS. You only get the Any Permitted fare with Manchester CTLZ.

10. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

For some reason an Off Peak Day Return isn't available for Wilmslow-Deansgate but an Evening Return is for half the price of a Wilmslow-Manchester STNs ticket.

11. 185

185 Established Member

Many may be dead from the neck up, but they do prevent a lot more faredodgers from boarding.

Their manager is a former copper, who was an RPI for a long time. The level of training should not be in question, as the train company have always had some input into it. The failures are the legacy of First North Western who introduced contract revenue teams in 1999, the same scrounging managers who transferred to TPE and went on to outsource (safety critical) train dispatch at Manchester and Leeds to Carlisle Plc.

It's bad enough having contractors mess up on tickets, but when overworked contractors are falling asleep after 12-hour despatch shifts and sending trains off against red lights..... what next?

12. RPI

RPI Member

TPE have their own in-house RPI's at least.

13. Captain Speaking

There is - just done a check on Nat Rail site; £2:60 return. But, adding the senior railcard gives no reduction, whereas it does on the normal off-peak fare (33%). Why is that?

14. table38

table38 Established Member

After my last altercation with G4S on the overbridge at Piccadilly (when they wouldn't sell me the correct ticket, and threatened me with the BTP if I refused to buy the wrong ticket) having stood my ground and eventually been told something like "he'd let me off on this occasion", he also remarked that "it was very complicated" !

Sadly I was half way down the travelator before I thought of the obvious retort that wasn't it his job to know the right fares?

15. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

One of the T&Cs of the Evening Return is no railcard discounts are available.

16. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

I got stopped by one of these numpties about 3 months ago as I as going to work a train in full uniform. He asked me to show my ticket so I said I didn't need one. He looked at me and laughed and said "oh I think you do" To which I responded "oh I know I don't.
    I put his arm out as if to stop me walking towards the platform where my Voyager was waiting for me. I said "look mate you either let me past or that train is going nowhere.
    He then laughed and said ha ha I was only joking. Yeah right !

17. strange6

strange6 Established Member

I didn't know they were that stupid.

18. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Maybe the non-Northern train conductors can gang up on the G4S staff. When they turn up for work ask them for their tickets - when they say they're only going on to the platforms say "Ah you'll need a platform ticket then. I'll sell you one."

19. gnolife

gnolife Established Member

I've had them trying to stop me catching Rose Hill trains on my Manchester Airpt to Marple season, claiming that it was the wrong train more than once. My usual response to that is to tell them to pull the other one, and run around through the 13/14 concourse to the platform.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    that would be bloody hilarious... id give my hand to see that one!

20. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

They dont seem to have got any better, they didn't seem to like the fact that someone with a sale (metrolink) - Edinburgh ticket is 1. Allowed to double back at Piccadilly (I joined NR at Deansgate because that was where the terminated at the time) and 2. You are allowed to break you journey at Manchester on an off-peak return.

Had quite a debate with then on my return as they attempted to charge me again." Your journey was over when you left the station Mr"

21. island

I've emailed in a complaint to Northern, not especially likely that it'll accomplish anything but we'll see.

22. Lampshade

I wouldn't have bothered, I've complained a few times about them and heard nothing.

23. wintonian

Couldn’t you have printed one off and voided it afterwards? I'd like to see his face then. :lol::roll:

24. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

He's a driver :?

25. table38

table38 Established Member

Me too. I even tried writing to the "Stationmaster" or somesuch at Piccadilly - after all, G4S are operating at their station, but got a "nothing to do with us - write to Northern Rail" type of response.

26. Minilad

And to think G4S are taking over the running of Winson Green Prison in Birmingham.
    The mind doth boggle

27. Eagle

Eagle Established Member

(To visiting family) "I'm sorry, but I can't let you in unless you've been convicted for an offence." :lol:

28. Minilad

It wouldn't be the letting in I would be worried about but the letting back out !!

29. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Maybe as Manchester Piccadilly is Network Rail owned and managed write to the regional Network Rail manager.

Don't contact Northern Rail Customer Relations as they'll just send out a generic response. You could try the head office address or writing to your MP.

As Virgin run the ticket office, you could try telling them if you'd been sold a perfectly valid ticket by them and then G4S have tried to stop you from boarding your train.

30. wintonian

:oops: Well he could have ben carrying the guards machine for them. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.