• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA Class 90 Mark 3 Sets Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Established Member
Locos = 2 to LSL in Crewe, the rest to Freightliner to allow the 86s to be gradually dispensed with/fleet size reduced.

Carriages have already started going for scrap within days of some coming out of use although that will stall now with yards being closed during the lockdown. A few may go for further use at LSL in Crewe and other places but would expect most to be cut up later this year when things calmed down.
Only one rake needed so should be ok, and Freightliner might be willing to lend one for a weekend railtours sendoff. What liveries have the 90s had in East Anglia - anything worth Freightliner copying?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
The sooner they go for scrap the better! They were absolutely knackered before they were withdrawn completely. They now need to be sent to be cut up ASAP to release space for the new fleet to arrive.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The sooner they go for scrap the better! They were absolutely knackered before they were withdrawn completely. They now need to be sent to be cut up ASAP to release space for the new fleet to arrive.
Do you know if the new fleet delivery being held up solely due to lack of siding space as your message implies?

Or do you just think they should be cut up ASAP cos they are knackered?

Dave1987

On Moderation
Do you know if the new fleet delivery being held up solely due to lack of siding space as your message implies?

Or do you just think they should be cut up ASAP cos they are knackered?

The siding space is needed for the new fleets. There is no point having coaches that are destined for scrap cluttering up siding space. What is the point of having these sat in sidings slowly decaying?

WesternLancer

Established Member
The siding space is needed for the new fleets. There is no point having coaches that are destined for scrap cluttering up siding space. What is the point of having these sat in sidings slowly decaying?
well, that's a matter for their owner the leasing companies isn't it I guess, plus whoever owns the sidings and what they want to charge as rent to the people who want to use the space and if they are prepared to pay that rent - just commercial decisions really. I just wondered if delivery delays were caused by lack of siding space - which I doubt, but could be the case?

The merits or otherwise of scrapping them is a different debate in a way.

chubs

No thumbs up emoji on here but this x10000000

goodbye to bad rubbish

jopsuk

Veteran Member
What liveries have the 90s had in East Anglia - anything worth Freightliner copying?
Don't think any of the small number that worked Mark 2s with Anglia were painted in the franchise livery- so it's been one, NXEA and Greater Anglia. Any other liveries (Freighliner Grey, RES, Virgin(?) GNER, Scotrail!) seen have been proper to repainting or on hire-ins

43 302

Established Member
What liveries have the 90s had in East Anglia - anything worth Freightliner copying?
Could always repaint them into InterCity swallow livery from their time on the west coast routes. If there was a tour it could go on the WCML and the GEML maybe...

Abbo

Locos = 2 to LSL in Crewe, the rest to Freightliner to allow the 86s to be gradually dispensed with/fleet size reduced.

Carriages have already started going for scrap within days of some coming out of use although that will stall now with yards being closed during the lockdown. A few may go for further use at LSL in Crewe and other places but would expect most to be cut up later this year when things calmed down.
One set is due to go to Eastleigh 8/4 and a set that was due to go to Sims Newport this week has now been diverted to Booths at Rotherham

robreed90001

One set is due to go to Eastleigh 8/4 and a set that was due to go to Sims Newport this week has now been diverted to Booths at Rotherham

37401 took 12170 + 12103 + 12016 + 12120 + 12099 _ 12024 and 12141 to Booths at Rotherham on Wednesday.

37716 also took 82136 + 12032 + 12097 + 12079 and 12159 for storage on the MNR as well on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
I imagine the new stock will be in Crown Point area now or shortly if it isn't already. The Mark IIIs either at Crown Point soon to go for scrap or sent to Mid Norfolk in exchange for the Class 745s / Class 755s there.

Whether Rotherham or Sims is available or not I doubt actually matters

GarethC

With all these moves of MKIIIs away from Crown Point, how many are left at Norwich, have more left than remain?

Thanks,
Gareth

robreed90001

I see that on RTT that there are a couple of Crown Point to Crewe workings next week for Locomotive Serivces:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54992/2020-04-06/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54992/2020-04-07/detailed

Possible 90 (90001 and 90002) and coaching stock moves ?

could well be 90001 + 90002 going to Locomotive Services LTD, they could also be taking DVT 82118 + MK3 12114 which have been donated to Crewe Heritage Centre by Porterbrook.

Many people fail to appreciate the logistics of disposing of old vehicles. Arrangements had been put in place but two of the three dismantling sites are closed and the third is full, due to the COVID situation. What should have been a direct move straight to dismantle now requires an additional stage of storage and that is not simple with a large quantity of vehicles which are 23m in length and weigh some 35 tons. The number of places to safely stage such equipment - even if destined for dismantling, is quite limited. May not be as difficult as moving PPE to hospitals, but nonetheless, a logistical problem.

robreed90001

90002 + 10411 + 10416 + 11076 + 12171 + 12111 + 11077 + 82139 + 10415 and 82143 all due to leave Norwich for Crewe tomorrow morning, 90002 heading to LSL (nameplates still attached), 82143 + 10415 have been donated to Manchester Fire & Rescue.

5Z90 due to leave Norwich at 08:42.

On Moderation
90002 + 10411 + 10416 + 11076 + 12171 + 12111 + 11077 + 82139 + 10415 and 82143 all due to leave Norwich for Crewe tomorrow morning, 90002 heading to LSL (nameplates still attached), 82143 + 10415 have been donated to Manchester Fire & Rescue.

5Z90 due to leave Norwich at 08:42.
Of those, 90002, 11076/077 and 82139 are showing as LSL owned.

All the Porterbrook owned Anglia Mark 3 fleet has been off-leased and transferred to the SBXH pool. 90003-015, which are Freightliner owned, remain IANA for now.

DBS92042

Established Member
Is it known where the other coaches in the consist are meant to be going?

Class 170101

Established Member
Another rake of coaches and DVTs went to Crewe today. I'm told 90001 was in charge of said rake.

DCR 60055 is at Norwich tonight, due to take some more MK3s to Eastleigh tomorrow for scrapping.

I thought Mark IIIs were out of gauge for Eastleigh due to 3rd Rail?

_toommm_

Established Member
I thought Mark IIIs were out of gauge for Eastleigh due to 3rd Rail?

Mark III coaches with the 'Long Swing Link (LSL)' (as opposed to the 'Short Swing Link (SSL) suspension are banned from third rail regions as there is a risk that the suspension could touch the third rail if there is a bit too much to-ing and fro-ing. If I remember correctly the LSL suspension was fitted to the Mk. III coaches that were part of the original HST sets (not those Mk. III coaches that were retrofitted with the equipment to run in an HST formation). See below photo for a visual on the problem:

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 8.41.11 pm.png

Sean Emmett

IIRC there was a plan by the A1 Trust to acquire a rake of Anglia Mk3s to run behind Tornado. With some opening toplights as per Hibernian. Has this plan / aspiration been abandoned?

On Moderation
IIRC there was a plan by the A1 Trust to acquire a rake of Anglia Mk3s to run behind Tornado. With some opening toplights as per Hibernian. Has this plan / aspiration been abandoned?
Yes, it has been abandoned.

On Moderation
Mark III coaches with the 'Long Swing Link (LSL)' (as opposed to the 'Short Swing Link (SSL) suspension are banned from third rail regions as there is a risk that the suspension could touch the third rail if there is a bit too much to-ing and fro-ing. If I remember correctly the LSL suspension was fitted to the Mk. III coaches that were part of the original HST sets (not those Mk. III coaches that were retrofitted with the equipment to run in an HST formation).
The risk is only in certain very specific circumstances including (partial) suspension failure. In the normal course of operation, there isn't a problem as I understand it.

Which vehicles had which types when they were built is irrelevant - the bogie swaps as part of overhaul cycles over the years have meant most operators have mixed types. Obviously back in BR and Virgin XC days the entire Cross-Country fleet was SSL fitted, and there was also an attempt to keep the BT10A variant (which have fabricated lateral control rod spigot mountings, and I think are all LSL) on the LHCS fleets, including the sleepers. The BT10B type (cast lateral control rod spigot mounting) has both LSL and SSL types.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I recall a story of a forum member boarding a GWR service which was being diverted in to Waterloo and spotted a LSL fitted coach in the consist and reported it. Train was cancelled en route as a result. Anyone else recall or did I imagine it?

hwl

Established Member
Why Eastleigh? I have never known Eastleigh to be a scrap site unless that's changed
Presumably component recovery.
A bit does get scrapped at Eastleigh but mostly the odd wagon with component recovery. 6x 442s are being scrapped with component recovery there.

Established Member
Nice paint shop at Eastleigh isn't there. DCR have been doing all the other Chiltern Mk3 moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.