• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA Class 90 Mark 3 Sets Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It should be said that just because it says LSL on the vehicle it doesn’t necessarily mean the bogies are actually LSL. I’d bet that the labels aren’t always checked on C4 overhaul. The only sure way is a physical check of the bogies.

I've seen photos of Mk3s (can't recall if it was this forum or elsewhere) with LSL and SSL printed on the ends!

On Moderation
I've seen photos of Mk3s (can't recall if it was this forum or elsewhere) with LSL and SSL printed on the ends!
That can also be correct in a way as vehicles can, and sometimes do, have one of each type. Such a vehicle really ought to be just labelled LSL, of course.

TheEdge

Established Member
Nice paint shop at Eastleigh isn't there. DCR have been doing all the other Chiltern Mk3 moves.

We thought the rake going away behind 60055 was going to Chiltern via Eastleigh. Our scrap rakes have gone direct to Sims so far...

XCTurbostar

Established Member
We thought the rake going away behind 60055 was going to Chiltern via Eastleigh. Our scrap rakes have gone direct to Sims so far...
Well I mean Chiltern could do with more stock.. but they're a DMU TOC so I'd be surprised if they wanted more 45 year old coaches.. Having said that, if it gets sent with a DVT and the formation is 5/6 coaches that might be true.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That can also be correct in a way as vehicles can, and sometimes do, have one of each type. Such a vehicle really ought to be just labelled LSL, of course.

Surely if that was the case it should have LSL at the appropriate end and SSL at the appropriate ends only?

This had both labels at both ends iirc.

On Moderation
Surely if that was the case it should have LSL at the appropriate end and SSL at the appropriate ends only?

This had both labels at both ends iirc.
No it should have LSL on both ends. You want the “worst case” restriction shown on the vehicle.

83A

Air con stock isn't much use to a heritage line. Unless they want to grow tomatoes.

Ha..at the moment that could be their only revenue stream, although probably growing weed might be more profitable. :D

delticdave

Mark III coaches with the 'Long Swing Link (LSL)' (as opposed to the 'Short Swing Link (SSL) suspension are banned from third rail regions as there is a risk that the suspension could touch the third rail if there is a bit too much to-ing and fro-ing. If I remember correctly the LSL suspension was fitted to the Mk. III coaches that were part of the original HST sets (not those Mk. III coaches that were retrofitted with the equipment to run in an HST formation). See below photo for a visual on the problem:

View attachment 76247
Thanks for the pix, very helpful.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why Eastleigh? I have never known Eastleigh to be a scrap site unless that's changed
The move was to Arriva’s Eastleigh TRSMD, not to Arlington’s Eastleigh Works.

A firm called Raxstar have a scrap business within the works area, but I suspect that is not relevant to this move.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Crewe Heritage Centre has now recieved its 82118 and 12114 from Porterbrook.

90001 and 90002 are returning to the town of their birth with 90003-15 to follow. Perhaps LSL may consider bringing football specials back to electifried lines.

I'm sure you must be aware the owner of LSL is a main shareholder of one of the London based premiership teams and has direct access to the clients who would wish to use the trains in the event that was part of the plan. There is very little use for 4 electric locomotives without some sort of plan. The current schedules of charters don't allow for much use of a small fleet of electric traction that will cost up to 6 figures a year to keep serviceable on the mainline.

Abbo

Which footie Club is Mr Hoskin affialed with and is it the sort of club that would fill a train with well heeled diners ?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which footie Club is Mr Hoskin affialed with and is it the sort of club that would fill a train with well heeled diners ?

Crystal Palace

He did arrange this in 2016 for the players and some supporters https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2016/april/jeremy-hoskings-steam-train-to-southampton/

However, there could be a market for the trains that sometimes get organised for supporters of London clubs to get to matches in the North West - it doesn't have to be Crystal Palace - for example, a train was organised a few years back for Chelsea supporters to get to a midweek match in Burnley - .

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
However, there could be a market for the trains that sometimes get organised for supporters of London clubs to get to matches in the North West - it doesn't have to be Crystal Palace - for example, a train was organised a few years back for Chelsea supporters to get to a midweek match in Burnley -

ICWC regularly run weekend football specials from the North West to/from London so there must be a market.

tricky18jan

Can anyone confirm a move yesterday of stock to Barry ?
Also if anyone can provide stock ID’s that would be great
Rich

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Can anyone confirm a move yesterday of stock to Barry ?
Also if anyone can provide stock ID’s that would be great
Rich
Hi Rich,
Move yesterday was 5Z37 0903 Norwich Gb Railfreight to Barry Tourist Railway
3 FOs (11082, 11066, 11072) (All Coach Ks)
1 TSOB (10404)

Not sure what the fate of these will be.

tricky18jan

Hi Rich,
Move yesterday was 5Z37 0903 Norwich Gb Railfreight to Barry Tourist Railway
3 FOs (11082, 11066, 11072) (All Coach Ks)
1 TSOB (10404)

Not sure what the fate of these will be.

very interesting move!! Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.