• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA meltdown Friday 10/11/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I had a very lucky escape from an operational meltdown on GA last night.

Boarded the 19:30 LST-NRW, but this was cancelled shortly before departure. Cue a stampede round to platform 12 for the equally busy 20:00 LST-NRW which was standing room only until north of Ipswich.

The stocking forming the 19:30 left ECS before we did, and we caught it up at Diss, where it was parked in the down platform. We came into the up platform where (after 15-20 minutes) the train was terminated due to a track defect. This was announced on Twitter just before 22:00, about 5 minutes before the crew announced it.

I was VERY lucky to be standing in the right place at the right time on the platform as local taxis were given the ok to start ferrying passengers to Norwich. There were only three cars available at first. GA Twitter said they were trying to source buses but I heard nothing more. I reckon 300-400 people queuing on the platform as we sped off.

From Twitter I understand the following trains to NRW were various cancelled at Ipswich or returned to London. I believe some may have transferred at Diss once the line re-opened.

Can anyone fill in the gaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
According to RTT the 19:30 London Liverpool Street - Norwich was cancelled due to disorder (VA)

dk1

Veteran Member
Guard couldn't work 19:30 so train was cancelled at short notice & set worked back ECS behind 19:38 Colchester Town only to get caught behind a Crewe to Felixstowe liner then stopped at Diss due to new measurement train finding serious track defects up ahead which later turned out to be false alarm. Job stopped for two plus hours. ECS in down platform was opened up as a waiting room whilst the next arriving set from London was turned round and sent back up road. No RR transport available apart from the odd taxi.

BestWestern

Established Member
Guard assaulted on previous service and off the job? Disorder/lack of crew would suggest something along those lines?

Established Member
The 21.30 Liverpool St to Norwich was held at Colchester due to the Diss incident. The 22.00 Liverpool St to Ipswich sneeked past it, but only the fleet of foot made the cross platform connection. While it is understandable to hold trains in platforms where possible, holding a train 40 miles away takes some explaining to passengers, especially when they are too irate to listen.

greyman42

Established Member
I think posts 6 and 7 were perhaps being a bit sarcastic and I have not picked up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.