• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gangway Squeak

Status
Not open for further replies.

On most trains the gangway between the carriages squeak often as it passes over points or rough track. Of course the noise isn't audible when the interconnecting doors are closed fortunately. As I am yet to ride on a Siemens 350 or 450, do the gangways on them squeak as well? Also I was thinking as the 378s and S stock get older, won't the full width gangways on them start to squeak. With no doors blocking the sound off isn't this going to make rides on them much more annoying. Or are the gangways on the 378s and S stock designed not to squeak.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shedman

I might be wrong so I'm sure someone will correct me but its just the friction between the 2 vehicles and they rub together. I imagine everything does it but depending on the material (steel, aluminium or the type of friction plates) used it will be more or less audible

D365

Veteran Member
I've never heard a DBAG 423 gangway making any noise; they're full-width and some units are more than ten years old. But then again, I've never sat right next to a gangway.

On the other hand, some of the older German loco-hauled stock is awful; rattling, noisy gangways and doors, overcrowed and hot carriages... The slam-doors even scare some of the younger passengers!

8J

Class 507/8's up here in Liverpool are really squeaky, similarly with the mark 3's Im guessing its the wearing down of the metal so S stocks might be really bad, unless the connections are manufactured a different way

starrymarkb

Established Member
Most modern stock has one piece flexible gangways which are securely attached at both ends. As vehicles are permanently coupled with a bar it doesn't matter if gangways are not easily split-able), Most hauled stock and sprinters which can be split and reformed easily have two piece gangways which are held together by springs and friction, these are less flexible.

D365

Veteran Member
Sounds like a normal occurrence but even so... Makes me wonder about the 'squealing' brakes on 378s, and the S Stock in particular.

The 378s seem alright with their brakes but the S stock whilst moving underground certainly seem to squeal!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When travelling on a Networker last I noticed that the vestibules made an eery "hovering" sound.

Mystic Force

About my favorite thing of riding trains is to stand in the gangway between the two coaches with a foot either side and ride updown. ah fun days. I am sure someone is just about to come on here and tell me how wrong it is, how I am putting others in danger and how stupid I look. However I enjoyed being a child and it is always awesome. Plus the squeeking is all part of the fun. Many fun trips from Devon on an HST this way not having a seat was not the end of the world.

oversteer

I don't notice any squeak on 350's, either between coaches or when coupled to other units

LE Greys

Established Member
About my favorite thing of riding trains is to stand in the gangway between the two coaches with a foot either side and ride updown. ah fun days. I am sure someone is just about to come on here and tell me how wrong it is, how I am putting others in danger and how stupid I look. However I enjoyed being a child and it is always awesome. Plus the squeeking is all part of the fun. Many fun trips from Devon on an HST this way not having a seat was not the end of the world.

I remember being told "Make sure you have both doors open and step over quickly in case the train comes apart!" on 317s with bar couplings.

MkIVs used to be very bad for squeaking and a distinct bouncing motion, but that reduced with the Mallard refurb, although it's coming back again, so probably just worn suspension.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I always thought the squeaking was down to the air bags in the suspension? The 455s squeak quite a lot!

BestWestern

Established Member
On Sprinter stock, there is always much clunking and banging at the ends of units where they are run in multiple - this is also present on the FGW 'hybrid' three car 158 sets where the cab end of the original two car set joins the inner end of the extra car. I've not noticed sqealing so much, though it does occur on very tight bends at times. Presumably the BSI couplers have a fair bit of movement in them, but it tends to seem quite rough.

dubscottie

On the Irish 29000 DMU it is not squeaking but whistling and wheezing from the gangways!

They are almost like the bellows of an accordion and the whistle of the air being forced through the gaps round the doors would (and does) drive you up the wall!

Like the earlier poster, I too had many a happy journey as a child standing (or could it be called playing) in the gangways of Mk3 coaches.. Till my jacket got caught and had to wait till the next bend for it to release!

es373

Squealing tread brake blocks are not a problem. There are all kinds of factors involved as to why they squeal.
Just a few are - new brake block which is bedding in, different types of material, hot wheels, hot blocks, slack adjuster not working properly, brake block not seating properly so it's riding the flange.
Obviously you wouldn't get squealing with a dynamic brake.

Gangway squeal is just the two materials rubbing together, this could be the aluminium foot plates or center footplate/retractable foot plates (stock dependant). Also inter connecting bellows rubbing against the stops.

The new brake blocks would explain squeaks at time on the S stock. The 455s love to squeak on points but its more of a flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.